pixeltracker

Broadway and UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT- Page 3

Broadway and UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#50Broadway and UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
Posted: 3/14/15 at 4:56pm

I read the native american plotline much in the same way I read Steve Martin being raised a "poor black child" in The Jerk. It's deliberate lunacy for the sake of deliberate lunacy. It's self-aware in its offensiveness. I think the handling of Kimmy's love interest Dong is attempting something similair but is more problematic.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#51Broadway and UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:07pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how funny James Monroe Iglehart was as Titus's bitter rival! I finished the show yesterday! I don't wanna wait a year either :/

FindingNamo
#52Broadway and UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:03am

"The Native American subplot is supposed to be offensive, because a skinny, white, and blonde woman being the epitome of beauty is supposed to be offensive."

I don't think it's supposed to be offensive. And I admit it's definitely dicey and I can see how people might feel offended. What *I* think they are going for is the fact that her parents are the ONLY people in the entire world of this show who see things as they really are and who make any sense at all.

Their daughter has been so successful at assimilating into the dominant culture that she bears no trace of her parents anymore. She's a parallel to Kimmy's own attempts at "passing," in Kimmy's case for the first half of the series she is trying to pass as an upbeat normal person who feels no rage about her past. She too has left her past behind and shed her old identity. Or tried to. Both are ultimately unsuccessful. Of course, Titus's old identity shows up in the final reel too.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 3/18/15 at 01:03 AM

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#53Broadway and UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:09am

Later days, buuuuuuuddy

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#54Broadway and UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
Posted: 3/22/15 at 8:14pm

I read these posts and decided to check this out...SO glad I did. This is a great show! Another sitcom set in New York that actually films in New York - woohoo!'

Thanks for the recommendation, all.

Videos