Theatermania Gold Club

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#25Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:40am

On another thread, Kad mentioned that comps for a certain Broadway show were in abundance at the Equity office, a friend told him. So I'm thinking that instead of using the papering services, producers are trying hard to get industry folk in to see these shows. Just a possibility.

Clyde, I've never heard of Spondooly. How do people come up with these names?

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 11:40 AM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#26Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:47am

"Clyde, I've never heard of Spondooly. How do people come up with these names?"

It's funny you say that because the name was one of the factors that made me think it wasn't legit.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

neonlightsxo
#27Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:58am

Didn't realize Gold Club was offering a monthly membership now. That's a much easier commitment than a whole year.

ClydeBarrow
#28Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 4/9/15 at 1:55pm

I've also noticed how they'll say "Exclusive Offer to Gold Club Members" and then I'll see the same thing on another site.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

ClydeBarrow
#29Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 6/2/15 at 12:10pm

Is anyone else annoyed by the THOUSANDS of listings for random crap that I don't even think anyone has to pay for (or should) are cluttering the offerings?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#30Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 6/2/15 at 12:13pm

A simple admonishment would have done the trick

The feeling is mutual Clyde

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 6/2/15 at 12:13 PM

ClydeBarrow
#31Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 6/2/15 at 12:15pm

"__________ is currently available here for 3 dates."

You're not allowed to say that, idiot!

Updated On: 6/2/15 at 12:15 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 6/2/15 at 12:23pm

Mine has been removed. You now have to edit or remove yours as it quotes mine with the offending information.

Just thought you would want to know so you can do the right thing.

Carry on.

Poster Emeritus

ClydeBarrow
#33Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 6/2/15 at 12:27pm

"Mine has been removed. You now have to edit or remove yours as it quotes mine with the offending information.
Just thought you would want to know so you can do the right thing.
Carry on."

Mine doesn't say what show it is...

ClydeBarrow
#34Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 6/30/15 at 12:09pm

Is everything on Broadway and Off-Broadway doing so well that there hasn't been anything of note on here for weeks now?

ads08
#35Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 6/30/15 at 7:55pm

I just received an email to renew my membership and I replied saying that I wouldn't renew since I have not purchased a single ticket through Gold Club this year.  This was the response I received:

"Very sorry to see you go. Your membership is paid for through July 24th and will not renew beyond that point. Did you have an opportunity to log into the Gold Club at least twice a day, every day? Value, of course, is dependent upon the frequency of participation, and the kinds of shows and events you enjoy. The Gold Club offered over 16 Broadway shows in the 2014-15 season, all for $4.50, not to mention some of the very best Off and Off Off Broadway. We wish you all the best and are very sorry it didn't work out."

Just checked again (I check everyday) and while there are plenty of offers, there is nothing that justifies the annual fee.  Also, what's with all the AOL interviews?

neonlightsxo
#36Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 7/1/15 at 9:43am

I was a member a few years back, and recently re-upped with the monthly membership, hoping to score some good stuff around Tony time. I had it for several months, and did not purchase one ticket. I always checked multiple times per day, and there was never anything. Not sure what happened, but it's not worth it anymore.

Updated On: 7/1/15 at 09:43 AM

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#37Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 7/1/15 at 9:45am

They've had a few good theatre things on there lately, but they're always buried under countless cabaret/TV show taping/comedy listings. It's super frustrating.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 7/1/15 at 9:52am

When I am up for renewal in November, I am not renewing. It is frustrating to see the same things there everyday. Most of the stuff is bad enough that they should pay you to see it.

Poster Emeritus

ClydeBarrow
#39Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:05pm

That's another issue I have with Gold Club, ads. I feel like they're very condescending in their responses. Like they could never imagine how you wouldn't want to take advantage of their site.

I wish they would have some kind of filters where you can see just Off-Broadway/Broadway shows and not a million AOL interviews and Metropolitan Room concerts. Who is even paying $4.50 for that crap?

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#40Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:10pm

Great with everyone dropping GC, it will be much easier to score tickets.  Thanks.  I just renewed yesterday.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#41Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:21pm

Problem is not "scoring" tickets but having something worthwhile offered

Maybe you like what they offer . If so, good for you. My wife and I need not see everything produced in NYC. We pick and choose carefully and will not trek into the city to see dreck.

Poster Emeritus

BigGuy3
#42Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 7/4/15 at 3:33am

I'm in Theater Extras and the Will Call Club.  Their selections aren't so great either.  There's a lot of tourists coming into NYC who will at least pay half price at TKTS.

English imports, Black, Jewish, Spanish, and Gay on and off Broadway may show up.  Plays and Musicals with dark staging that require a lot of thinking will show up.  Everybody's got Wolf Den this week.

Big happy musicals that can be enjoyed by people who don't speak English won't be available at all on seat filling services until the break in NYC tourism between Columbus Day and Thanksgiving.

pippin423
#43Theatermania Gold Club
Posted: 7/4/15 at 1:48pm

I was a member of the Gold Club for several years and did not see one thing from them. Play By Play, got my moneys worth and then some. Joined last July and have seen 9 Broadway and 2 Off Broadway shows. Was it worth it? Yes. Will not hesitate to renew again.