pixeltracker

This year's Tony performances- Page 3

This year's Tony performances

Wilmingtom
#50This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/14/15 at 2:34am

For the opening I'd go with NY, NY, with the cast dancing up 6th Ave. and into RCMH.  NYC = Broadway.  

neonlightsxo
#51This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:13am

broadwayfan24, Rachel Tucker already has a new job, so that's not happening.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#52This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:15am

I think 20th Century might do a medley, too. They will perform on the Today Show next week and it sounded like they put together for this. Warren Carlyle came in to rehearse with both Kristin and the Porters. I wonder if they might use that as a test of what could work at the Tonys.

I don't think Veronique or Babette would be good choices, neither make any sense out of context of the show. On The 20th Century doesn't have any of the leads in it, so that seems highly unlikely. Never is certainly a showstopper, and if Peter doesn't get a nom, this might be the way to go. Sign, Lily Sign could also work, almost everybody is it and it's a good representation of the show I think. Maybe they will mash up one of these with a bit of Life is Like a Train to feature the Porters, who are getting a lot of love from everyone.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#53This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:34am

RE: On the Twentieth Century, I actually think the medley the original cast did at the 1978 Tonys could be a good choice, although the original production had several acting nominees they wanted to feature, which this revival might not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYoRwQWgA5c

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#54This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/15/15 at 1:56am

I don't think Veronique or Babette would be good choices, neither make any sense out of context of the show

Agree about Babette, but on the fence on Veronique. The story is based on the transformation by Oscar, the "Svengali", of a plain and timid doormat into a glamorous star of the theater. Veronique compresses this premise into one number which I think really highlights Kristin's talents as she goes through the transformation.

But I agree with you that just launching into that number without at least a verbal introduction would be confusing to audiences.

I guess that it is a sign of why the show is doing well with audiences there are so many places to go for the Tony performance.

Wilmingtom
#55This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/15/15 at 3:32am

If the score of The Last Ship is nominated, which isn't unlikely, I can imagine them featuring Sting in some way.  He's a big star who wouldn't hurt the ratings.

neonlightsxo
#56This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:43am

Wilmingtom, you don't seem to understand that "featuring" your show on the Tonys costs money. They already lost their entire investment AND Jeffrey Seller paid to have Sting on the Tonys last year.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/25/15 at 5:25pm

I've been thinking about what THE VISIT will perform. At first, I thought that a medley of the bouncy YELLOW SHOES with LOVE AND LOVE ALONE would work best. But now I'm thinking that a performance of lOOK AT ME might be best the option. It's a gorgeous song including the entire cast, and has some beautiful counterpart singing with a powerful ending. Might be the best option.

team elphie
#58This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/25/15 at 9:20pm

I would love for Side Show to perform, maybe "who will love me as I am", because they did "I will never leave you" with the original

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#59This year's Tony performa
Posted: 4/25/15 at 11:12pm

On the Today Show OTTC went with bit of Life It Like A Train, and then they did part of Babette and surprisingly i think it actually worked pretty well. They only did the bit after Lily decides to do Babette over Mary Magdalene, so it's "just" a fabulous, fun production number that doesn't tell you much what the show is about.

But since that did not include either Peter or Andy (who seems likely to grab a nom I think), it still seems unlikely for the Tonys. If they want Andy featured, they will most likely be "Sign, Lily, Sign".

I'm wondering about the 2 shows that already performed at last years Tony Awards, The Last Ship and Finding Neverland. They definitely should do different numbers this year, if they perform again (in the case of TLS, FN surely will)