MUNY 2015

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#25MUNY 2015
Posted: 5/11/15 at 3:10pm

Liza, remind me to never drive with you!  (of course, it also depends on where in Chicago you are starting...)

rawrali
#26MUNY 2015
Posted: 5/11/15 at 4:46pm

I wasn't terribly excited about some of the musicals chosen this season, but of course they come out with these casting announcements and I am suddenly thrilled and anxious for the season to start.

Seeing Rob McCLure at the Muny is always a treat, I am VERY excited to see him back for two shows, especially as The Baker. 

A few notes for anyone interested:

We have season tickets in the 3rd row of B, and I do like to have binoculars to look through as it is truly an immense venue (I just sneak a peek through them a couple times during the show, so I can see some of the details I would otherwise miss). We moved up to one of the back rows of A during intermission of a show last year, and the view was much improved, despite not moving THAT far forward.

It is still hot, but the fans make things MUCH better and they are pretty much silent.

If you went to the Muny pre-2012 and weren't impressed, I would recommend giving it another shot. I remember thinking the costume and scene design were terribly amateur when I first started going, but I really do believe that Mike Isaacson has raised the bar a considerable amount.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#27MUNY 2015
Posted: 5/11/15 at 4:56pm

Rob McClure will be perfect as Lumiere and the Baker!

Chowd95 Profile Photo
Chowd95
#28MUNY 2015
Posted: 5/14/15 at 7:26pm

The last show I saw at The Muny was Les Mis two years ago.  Hugh Panero played Valjean and Norm Lewis was Javert.  After seeing the show multiple times on tour in Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City, The Muny's may be my favorite.  True, the place it absolutely gigantic, but the sound is great and sitting outside in Forrest Park on a warm summer night taking in a great show is something special (when Lewis belted out "Stars" you could actually look up and see stars overhead, no twinkling lights were needed behind him).  

It's a great theater and they bring in phenomenal talent. I can't wait to see what they do with Into the Woods.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#29MUNY 2015
Posted: 6/18/15 at 12:53am

I'm thinking about splurging on a ticket to see Into the Woods with this mind blowing cast. For most of the performances, the front center sections are taken, so how are the side views? I watched clips from previous MUNY productions and it seems the shows are directed to be very front and center. Would a side view most likely be a problem? If so, where are other good seats? 

playbill-love
#30MUNY 2015
Posted: 6/18/15 at 1:49am

I would go side before I could go farther back than the B section.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#31MUNY 2015
Posted: 6/25/15 at 3:05am

Is anyone going to Hairspray this week? I had to pick between this and Into the Woods, and I just hope I chose right because this production looks electrifying.

Hairspray at The Muny Highlights 

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#32MUNY 2015
Posted: 6/25/15 at 9:21am

That looks like one of the MUNY's better productions in recent years... I'd love to hear some reviews!

Ali333
#33MUNY 2015
Posted: 6/25/15 at 9:33am

I'm a Muny season ticket holder but not seeing the show until Monday. Friends have seen "Hairspray" and loved it but I think you'll love "Into The Woods." Mike Isaacson has done an incredible job the past few years. The production values and talent are outstanding. I've thoroughly enjoyed every show since he's been Artistic Director and Executive Producer - even those which are not my favorite shows. Rob McClure has been fantastic in every show at the Muny. I can't wait to see his Baker.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#34MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:00pm

I'm looking at seats right now, and these are my choices:

- BOX 10, ROW H, Seats 1 & 2

- A4, ROW J, Seats 109 & 110

- A1, ROW D (Which is the first row of that section), Seats 39 & 37

Any advice with these seats in mind would be great! I was leaning toward Box 10. It's like 6th row but all the way to the right side. 

Ali333
#35MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/12/15 at 12:02pm

I would go with A4 Row J. The other seats are closer but very far left and right. The Muny stage is HUGE (picture a stage the size of a football field) and I'm not sure how easy it will be to see well from those seats. I've never sat that far to either side.

My season tickets are A6 Row F and they have a fantastic view of the stage. You won't be able to see expressions, etc, very easily but overall it's a great view.

Enjoy the show! We loved Holiday Inn. Patti Murin, Colin Donnell, Nancy Opel and the entire cast were fantastic.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#36MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/12/15 at 5:11pm

I'm just conflicted. I'm kind of a snob when it comes to sitting in the Orchestra at indoor theaters. I usually prefer not to sit farther back than Row J in a traditional theater. They really should have a "view from this section" button like some cites do now. That would really help in my decision! I think I am leaning towards A4. I will bring binoculars just in case. If anyone has any other opinions about the seats I listed feel free to chime in :)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#37MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/12/15 at 10:31pm

Ali is right.  You do not want to be that far from the side.  MUNY 2015

rawrali
#38MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/13/15 at 2:50pm

I agree with the others - you really don't want to be on the far sides. Go with A4. Our tickets are in B7* and it is great being right in the center. I do use binoculars often, which allows me to see the little details that I would otherwise miss.

*Haven't convinced my husband to upgrade to A yet, still trying! 

I had pretty low expectations for Holiday Inn and was pleasantly surprised - it was lovely. Even my husband admitted he liked it (that happens quite rarely).

Updated On: 7/13/15 at 02:50 PM

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#39MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/19/15 at 10:38pm

Well, I just grabbed a seat smack in the middle of A4 for this Friday night! Honestly, I can hardly wait! I doubt there is one, but is there such thing as a stage door at the Muny? I'd love to try and get pictures with Erin Dilly, Rob McClure, and Heather Headley. 

Ali333
#40MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:28am

"Well, I just grabbed a seat smack in the middle of A4 for this Friday night! Honestly, I can hardly wait! I doubt there is one, but is there such thing as a stage door at the Muny? I'd love to try and get pictures with Erin Dilly, Rob McClure, and Heather Headley. "

Yes there is! I have never stopped there but I know many people who have. Rob definitely signs and I'm sure many of the others will too.

Leave the theatre on the right side (when you are facing the stage). It will be on the left hand side when you go down the walkway. It's labeled "Backstage" and there's a gate (I think...) You should be able to find it easily.

Good luck and enjoy the show! Some of the local media were there yesterday for the sitzprobe. This cast is incredible and the Muny orchestra is fantastic. I am so pumped for the show! 

Updated On: 7/20/15 at 10:28 AM

rawrali
#41MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/20/15 at 1:22pm

Yep, there is a stage door and Ali's directions are great. Its a big wide opening that slopes down with a gate. There will be some security people standing there. I suspect there may be a decent amount of people that stick around after Into the Woods. You can see some of the dressing rooms from the side - they kind of look like grade school classrooms to me, so it is funny seeing the vases of flowers and wig stands and whatnot in them.

We saw Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story Friday night. I appreciated it for what it seemed to be - a tribute concert. It didn't feel like a fully fleshed out musical and I sorely missed the Muny orchestra. It was an awkward show. My husband really liked it, but we have very different tastes. We both agreed that Million Dollar Quartet was a lot better re: jukebox musicals.

beagle Profile Photo
beagle
#42MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/20/15 at 9:45pm

The stage door/gate is easy to spot because of all the people standing around it after shows. In addition to regular audience members there to meet the cast, the crowd seems to be made up largely of family/friends of ensemble members, many of whom are from the area. For shows that have the Muny Kids/Teens in them, the stage door crowd is noticeably bigger, as well, because their families are often waiting for them there.

I've only actually "stage doored" once at the Muny, last year to say hello to an acquaintance who was in one of the shows.  My husband and I always walk out that way, though, so the crowds are a familiar sight and I've seen a few cast members signing and posing for pictures with audience members as we've walked by.

I see all the shows because I review them for my blog, and I've enjoyed all of them this year. The productions have gotten much better in the last few years, since Mike Isaacson took over as Executive Director. I actually enjoyed BUDDY a lot more than I expected to, but INTO THE WOODS is the one I've been looking forward to the most.

rawrali
#43MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:11pm

beagle:
"I see all the shows because I review them for my blog, and I've enjoyed all of them this year."

I just wanted to let you know that I am an avid reader of your blog. I always enjoy seeing your take on the St Louis theatre scene, whether I've seen the particular show or not.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#44MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:45pm

We are aiming for the free seats next Monday....

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#45MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:51pm

Thank you all for the info! I'll absolutely stop by the stage door! I have honestly been anticipating this all summer, and I'm now getting even more excited because I have my ticket, which makes it true lol. I checked the weather and it looks like rain Thursday, and Saturday. Seeing that my ticket is for Friday, I realize there is a chance for a rain out. I was curious about weather or not any performances have been canceled due to weather this year.

Also, beagle, could you link your blog? I'd love to read your thoughts on this year's and former year's productions!

beagle Profile Photo
beagle
#46MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:06pm

Thank you, rawrali! I appreciate the nice comments!

And gleek4114, you can find my blog at www.snoopstheatrethoughts.com. I review productions from many St. Louis theatre companies in addition to the Muny.

Editing to answer the question about the weather.

It has been unusually rainy in St. Louis this summer, and I'm fairly sure the Muny has had to cancel a few times, more than usual. For the most part, though, they try not to cancel and will delay the show for an hour to an hour and a half in hopes that the weather will clear up. They only cancel if they absolutely have to.

Updated On: 7/21/15 at 11:06 PM

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#47MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/22/15 at 4:25pm

Promo footage is out! Holy **** I'm even more excited now than I already was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-kl7lJSNAE 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#48MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/22/15 at 5:06pm

The free seats open at 7 - and they say lines start at 4. We can't get there before 6.  And still need to find opera glasses - unless they still rent them at The Muny.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#49MUNY 2015
Posted: 7/22/15 at 7:16pm

Good goodness-The set design! Whenever ITW comes back on Broadway, get that guy to design the set. Rob McClure looks like a dream as the Baker. Not impressed with Heather as the Witch. Her voice doesn't settle with the witch

Videos