Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz

RingOfKeys2 Profile Photo
RingOfKeys2
#25Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 4:17am

I'm really pulling for Sydney Lucas. I have never been more impressed with a performance given by a child actor (on stage or film for that matter). While her age is certainly a leading reason of why I am so impressed, I believe she holds her own and even outshines her fellow adult nominees. THAT BEING SAID, I think a large amount of credit for Lucas' compelling performance should be given to Fun Home's creators. The character of Small Allison is much more developed than Helen....which, in my opinion, is why Judy Kuhn is giving a less Tony worthy performance. It's not that Kuhn isn't just as good in the show as Lucas.....because I thought she was fantastic.....it's that Sydney Lucas is the one you (or at least I, speaking for myself) cannot stop thinking about a month after you see the show. Therefore I think she should win. Honestly I think her and Michael Cerveris are the heart of the show. When they do the airplane move in the first scene I lost it. 

Updated On: 6/1/15 at 04:17 AM

indytallguy
#26Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 6:50am

"I felt nothing for Kuhn's performance at the Public and even less on Broadway, though I will admit she absolutely brings the house down with "Days and Days." However, to me, the song feels unearned. I think Helen is a mostly background character, not given her proper due throughout the show to be given such a big, show-stopping number. For the record, this is a slight against the way the character is presented, not Kuhn, who does well with the material she's given. Do I think it deserves a Tony nom? Nah. But what Sydney Lucas has done with Small Alison, absolutely. But, it's also a more "shine-worthy" role which Lucas has completely crushed and made her own."

I think this is the point thought that makes Days and Days work so well: how did she end up in this place where she has been pushed into the background of her very own life, having to manage the mess Bruce causes and keep her family afloat? For me, Kuhn very intentionally works her more limited time on stage prior to Days and Days to make this characterization become evident and crushing during that number.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#27Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 7:26am

Whatever happens Sunday, I'd be willing to bet good money Sydney will be playing Mary in the upcoming Secret Garden concert next Winter.  

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#28Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 8:53am

I couldn't separate the three of them in FH.  Great job ladies.

Stephanatic

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#29Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 10:03am

I would rather see Judy Kuhn or Ruthie Ann Miles win.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#30Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 10:06am

I believe it's between Miles and Lucas.

I'm giving the edge to Lucas.

And while no one is talking about Skeggs, I thought she was the best of the Alisons.

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 10:08am

I had the opposite reaction to Skeggs - but in no way thought she was bad.  I will say, when I saw the show only a few weeks later, she had definitely grown on me.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#32Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 10:14am

As far as promotional items, appearances and press, Sydney Lucas is everywhere! I know the "Allisons" are the main force of Fun Home so it makes sense, but I have barely heard Judy Kuhn's name. It feels like there is a real Tony campaign on for Sydney.

From what I saw in the show, every nominee is stellar, but I'd have to go with Sydney.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#33Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 10:14am

And while no one is talking about Skeggs, I thought she was the best of the Alisons.

To be honest, I think her nomination was more of a bandwagon nomination. 

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...
Updated On: 6/1/15 at 10:14 AM

neonlightsxo
#34Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 1:00pm

I will very surprised if Sydney does not win the Tony.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#35Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 1:06pm

I'm surprised Judy's acting throughout the piece didnt register with everyone. Her seething in the background while putting on a strained happy face was as big a performance as anyone else's...then when she finally let's it all escape, wow.

Lucas, was stunning. The award should go to either of them. I can't choose.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#36Sydney Lucas Tony Buzz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 7:53pm

My stepdaughter says Emily Skeggs wins for best eyeliner.

Stephanatic