pixeltracker

Penn & Teller on Broadway- Page 4

Penn & Teller on Broadway

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#75Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 9:40am

There is a BWW review roundup. Look for the link in the articles above the board. 

Saw aw the show over the weekend and absolutely loved it, as did almost all of the critics.  As of now, I think the Daily News is the only negative review. I can't tell you how thoroughly entertaining this show is, not to say mind boggling.  The political aspect of the TSA bit has been grossly overstated on this board previously.  It's there, but it doesn't detract at all from the sheer magic you see before your eyes.  I had never seen Penn and Teller perform live, but this is a show I'd see again (and maybe again). 

I understand the incredible skill and practice required to do sleight of hand and close up magic (having learned ONE trick myself), but Teller is simply a master, and you are left in awe even after one of the sleight of hand bits is completely deconstructed before your eyes.   But to see a live "elephant" vanish before your eyes, a live rabbit pulled out of a hat (one of their hardest tricks) or a long polyester ribbon seemingly cut in half again and again and magically restored to pristine condition is to simply make you scratch your head. And then there is "Needles", a Teller classic. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

RaisedOnMusicals
#75Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 9:40am

There is a BWW review roundup. Look for the link in the articles above the board. 

Saw aw the show over the weekend and absolutely loved it, as did almost all of the critics.  As of now, I think the Daily News is the only negative review. I can't tell you how thoroughly entertaining this show is, not to say mind boggling.  The political aspect of the TSA bit has been grossly overstated on this board previously.  It's there, but it doesn't detract at all from the sheer magic you see before your eyes.  I had never seen Penn and Teller perform live, but this is a show I'd see again (and maybe again). 

I understand the incredible skill and practice required to do sleight of hand and close up magic (having learned ONE trick myself), but Teller is simply a master, and you are left in awe even after one of the sleight of hand bits is completely deconstructed before your eyes.   But to see a live "elephant" vanish before your eyes, a live rabbit pulled out of a hat (one of their hardest tricks) or a long polyester ribbon seemingly cut in half again and again and magically restored to pristine condition is to simply make you scratch your head. And then there is "Needles", a Teller classic. 

RaisedOnMusicals
#76Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 10:32am

"There is a BWW review roundup. Look for the link in the articles above the board. 

Sorry, here is the link to the review roundup:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-PENN-AND-TELLER-ON-BROADWAY-Begins-Limited-Run-20150713

chanel
#77Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 10:41am

Scroll down for review. "An audience member's cell phone ends up inside a tilapia fish."

http://www.out.com/michael-musto/2015/7/13/history-drag-movies-and-why-hollywood-owes-us-big-time

LightsOut90
#78Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 1:01pm

Selling a ticket for Monday evening $50 second to last row in the mezz, message me if interested. 

RaisedOnMusicals
#79Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 2:30pm

And here we have the review we've all been waiting for:

Iain reviews Penn & Teller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD_SSTGcxzs

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#80Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 4:39pm

They did the fish trick recently on their TV show "Fool Us".  Pretty sure I figured out how they did it after watching it quite a few times

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#81Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 4:41pm

Wasn't the theatre remodeled? How does it look?

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#82Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 5:30pm

they are making BANK!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

brdway411
#83Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/13/15 at 6:09pm

I looks the same. I think all the changes were back of house. 

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#84Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/14/15 at 9:48am

There's a trick later in the show (it's 90 minutes, no intermission)  that is simply astounding.  

Penn and Teller are onstage on a live video camera.  They call an audience member up on stage, do a few really funny minutes of comedy and close up slight of hand. 

At the end of the bit something completely changes.

I've never heard an audience gasp like that before in my life. It's astounding and really, really fun.

Full disclosure: I am working at The Marquis. We are having a blast because Penn and Teller come right out of the theatre at the end of the show and take pictures and sign autographs for the entire audience. It's wonderful to see. 

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."
Updated On: 7/18/15 at 09:48 AM

Brian07663NJ
#85Penn & Teller on Broadway
Posted: 7/20/15 at 2:28pm

Saw the Sunday evening performance on July 19th. Having read some of the previous comments about the Bill of Rights, felt like being preached to, etc I was particularly listening for the parts to see how I felt about it. Sorry, did not come off as preaching to me at all. Merely was the shtick of the moment and part of the joke. Was it a liberal view - sure. Could it be representative of something you don't agree with - sure. It was part of the act though it might be their personal opinion - whatever. You don't have to agree with them to enjoy the illusion or performance. 

Absolutely fantastic showmen. Proof positive that they are professionals who have rehearsed their routines for the 40 years they quoted on stage during the show. Even if Penn were reading the proverbial phone book he absolutely knows how to dazzle the crowd into listening to what he has to say - hey - that's entirely part of the performance as much as Teller's silence to make you pay attention to him!

Great job gentlemen! Thank you