Windows10

JbaraFan1
#25Windows10
Posted: 7/30/15 at 8:30pm

Installation went pretty smoothly. All in all it took roughly Disney's animated Cinderella length of time, plus maybe a few extra minutes, to install. :)

Had to get Avast firewall back on, but that only required a reboot.

After that, just some tweaking of desktop (all of us -- husband, son, me -- use in desktop mode, did with 8.1, will with this, personal preference), turned off tiles we don't need, etc.  All our previous individual user desktop wallpapers still there. So far everything works. In a nutshell, compared to 8.1, I'd say it's a lot the same but also different, in ways that I like so far. 

I don't know if it's because it's a fresh install of a new OS or my imagination or what, but it seems to me like everything is working faster than before. Also, may be completely unconnected, but at this time of night, being online, my internet connection would have normally dropped at least once if not two or three times in the past hour or so (thanks, Xfinity/Comcast!), but "knock wood!" -- so far, so good there too.

JG2, while I didn't experience the problem you did this time, we've had similar happen in the past under various Windows incarnations. I hate you're having to go through all that hassle.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#26Windows10
Posted: 7/31/15 at 11:30am

Earlier this morning I upgraded the OS on a 2nd machine with no problems to report.  However, it just occurred to me that I haven't a clue as to how to do a fresh install on a virgin machine without a pre-registered email account.  I'm an Office 365 subscriber.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 7/31/15 at 11:30 AM

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#27Windows10
Posted: 7/31/15 at 12:16pm

Well, I am dealing with the dreaded, "Something Happened!" error. It could be because the machine was purchased in the US and I am upgrading in Sweden. I have tried twice and gotten the, "Something Happened!" error both times. I have made some adjustments and it is supposed to work now. We'll see.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

JbaraFan1
#28Windows10
Posted: 7/31/15 at 5:33pm

Comcast has dropped the connection a few times since last night, but it doesn't seem to be happening as often as in the past.  Hubby said it dropped for him once last night, and I've had it happen once today while online. Normally it can happen enough to make a preacher cuss. Again, no idea if this has anything to do with Windows 10 or if it's just a strange coincidence.

JG2, in case you still have any problems, I'm sure no techie, but was wondering, if you were to use a VPN connection with a US location, if that would work or not. Just a thought.

JerseyGirl2
#29Windows10
Posted: 7/31/15 at 6:29pm

I downloaded it to USB, which seems to be working. There's some kind of bug with the forced installation. 

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

JbaraFan1
#30Windows10
Posted: 7/31/15 at 7:51pm

Fingers crossed for you, JG2! (Yea, that forced install can be a pain; was for me.)

JerseyGirl2
#31Windows10
Posted: 8/1/15 at 6:34am

It's all good! Everything went well this time. I am liking it so far. :)

javero Profile Photo
javero
#32Windows10
Posted: 8/1/15 at 11:41am

Yippee @ JerseyGirl2

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#33Windows10
Posted: 8/1/15 at 12:04pm

I am now hearing rumours that if u even signed up for W10 Microsoft may be downloading it slowly to your computer!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/28/windows-10-automatic-download/

Wonder if that's why i'm freq running slo- its like there is another app running.

Also the same site talks about updates

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/28/microsoft-windows-10-should-you-upgrade/5/?ref=yfp

ooo i'm not feeling well...

JerseyGirl2
#34Windows10
Posted: 8/1/15 at 12:42pm

It's just like any other Windows update, if you get them automatically. If you reserved a copy, then it will just download in the background, at some point, and tell you when it's ready to install.

brdway411
#35Windows10
Posted: 8/1/15 at 9:53pm

Not a fan of live tiles. Sticking with Windows 7

JbaraFan1
#36Windows10
Posted: 8/2/15 at 1:43am

JerseyGirl, hooray!

brdway411, not trying to sway you one way or the other, but if the live tiles thing is what's keeping you away from Windows 10, you don't really have to use them.

Here is a capture of my desktop (one of many wallpapers), scaled to 1/4. I have it set up to pretty much work like XP did and also like I had 8.1 set up. (We never had 7, so not personally familiar with that version.) I've turned off all live tiles by choice. I could have left as many as I liked without affecting how the desktop looks or behaves.

Windows10

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#37Windows10
Posted: 8/4/15 at 4:01pm

Well, I was one of the unlucky with the AMD driver that caused Windows 10 to crash and reboot every few minutes.  It took a LONG time to determine the cause and it's technically still not resolved.  AMD released an updated driver for this issue, but every time I try and install it, only the faulty previous version gets installed.  I just disabled the driver as I have an Intel HD graphics card that's just as good.  AMD came with my computer and was really designed for gamers, which I'm not.

That issue aside, Windows 10 operates so much better than Windows 8 or 8.1, overall.  Even the multimedia apps are a huge improvement.  I'm not a fan of the live tiles either, but they only pop up as part of the start menu and you can just delete them (I use my desktop exactly like JbaraFan1).  It seems they really increased the customization and ease of access to you favorite programs, apps and folders.  I even solved some network/library/homegroup issues I could never sort out for years.  I even started using Cortana to some success.  I'm actually getting a lot more functionality and use out of Windows 10 than I have from any previous version of Windows.  I just hope they don't fvck it up.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#38Windows10
Posted: 8/4/15 at 4:10pm

I upgraded my laptop and Surface to Windows 10 on Monday without a hitch. I'm loving it so far, huge improvement over 8 and 8.1

Any specific reason why Microsoft skipped the number '9' and named the os Windows 10 instead?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#39Windows10
Posted: 8/4/15 at 7:00pm

My understanding is they want this to be the last numbered version and if they made it Windows 9, people would be waiting for 10. This way they do 10 and then jump to the permanent Windows.(subscription)

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#40Windows10
Posted: 8/7/15 at 8:35am

Loving 10 so far, but it wasn't easy getting here. It took about 10 hours to load and boot on a new, six month old laptop with very little on it.