pixeltracker

OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith- Page 3

OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#50OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith
Posted: 10/30/15 at 5:32pm

"Cornet Man is in the original show.  It was not cut (I can't remember if it was cut for the film.)"

Cornet Man was cut from the film, which is why I included it in my above comment.

I also never liked the don't rain on my parade reprise. I'm glad they ended the film with My Man.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#51OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith
Posted: 10/30/15 at 6:18pm

My Man leaves Fanny as a victim at the end

Not the way Streisand sings it!

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#52OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith
Posted: 10/30/15 at 6:22pm

PalJoey--very fair point, and I admit I was speaking in extremes when I said one left her a victim one left her more empowered--using My Man IMHO at the end is not so simplistic as that, but it does tinge the story that way.

Hamilton, so when you said you prefer My Man to the song it replaced you meant a short reprise?  I just assumed, like so many people, you thought it replaced Music That Makes Me Dance.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#53OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith
Posted: 10/31/15 at 12:33am

"Hamilton, so when you said you prefer My Man to the song it replaced you meant a short reprise?  I just assumed, like so many people, you thought it replaced Music That Makes Me Dance"

I was referring to The Music that makes me Dance instead of the don't rain reprise. I was confused as to why you brought up don't rain on my parade but I was a bit tipsy when I saw your reply so I just went with it.

Updated On: 10/31/15 at 12:33 AM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#54OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith
Posted: 10/31/15 at 3:03pm

I just want to know if it will remain true to the original. 

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#55OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith
Posted: 10/31/15 at 3:47pm

I just hope they keep/sing these songs well: "I'm the Greatest Star", "Cornet Man", "People", "You Are Woman", & "Don't Rain on My Parade"

broadwayboy223
#56OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith
Posted: 10/31/15 at 4:47pm

They better not cut Music that makes me dance. One of the most beautiful underused songs ever.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#57OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith
Posted: 10/31/15 at 6:11pm

i'm guessing they cut Henry Street and Ratatattat.  Probably replaced Ratatatat with some "new" number.  The Menier is a pretty small space for a "big" production number.  Even the Savoy stage isn't that large....

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#58OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith
Posted: 11/1/15 at 12:37pm

Very few people writing realize how dull this show is the minute Fanny leaves the stage, and that happens more often than one expects. As it hasn't been done in New York for nearly 50 years, not surprising that most people think that the movie is the template for the show. This isn't the movie, folks; Fanny is off stage quite a bit (maybe just to take an oxygen break), while we sit through interminable other numbers from lesser characters. Through the magic of movies, Fanny was in just about every scene, not so in the show. Perhaps Harvey can liven up this very long show...

I saw Streisand do it late in the run, and she was bored to death, and didn't care who knew it, racing though the scenes and songs like a runaway train.  Mimi Hines was sensational, sang and clowned her heart out. I also loved, although it was very against type, Barbara Cook in a brief national tour, as Fanny, with, yipes, George Hamilton as Nick, who got top billing over Barbara! Ms. Cook was great, and sang the songs beautifully (you can hear "Who Are You Now" on one of her early solo albums).

The score and the leading role are the reasons this show should be revived, but yes, please do a rewrite!