questions re: upcoming musicals

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#1questions re: upcoming musicals
Posted: 9/10/15 at 6:06pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning an upcoming long-weekend visit in November to see a few shows and was wondering if anyone could help with a couple of questions. 

First of all, Fiddler is listed as starting previews on Nov 12 but tickets are only on sale from Nov. 20 onward.  Is it likely that additional seats may be released later, or does that mean they are likely to move the first preview date back from the 12th to the 20th (or are leaving room for that possibility as a contingency)? 

Also, the list of Broadway Musicals on this website lists Sylvia and Misery, which i had thought were plays.  Is the listing correct, or are they on the wrong list (musicals instead of plays)? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#2questions re: upcoming musicals
Posted: 9/10/15 at 6:17pm

The first preview was previously announced to be Nov. 12, but only last week or so it was changed to Nov. 20th:  http://www.playbill.com/news/article/broadways-fiddler-on-the-roof-changes-preview-and-opening-dates-more-casting-announced-360949

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3questions re: upcoming musicals
Posted: 9/10/15 at 7:00pm

Both are plays.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4questions re: upcoming musicals
Posted: 9/10/15 at 7:01pm

Not sure which "list of Broadway musicals" you're referring too, but if that's what it is, then yes it's a mistake. Sylvia and Misery are indeed plays.

adam.peterson44
#5questions re: upcoming musicals
Posted: 9/10/15 at 10:35pm

Thanks everyone for the replies!

(The list of musicals is the one on this website):

https://www.broadwayworld.com/shows/shows-musicals.php

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#6questions re: upcoming musicals
Posted: 9/10/15 at 10:42pm

Yeah, seems to be an error. Also, many of the musicals in the "Upcoming Broadway musicals" section are basically rumors at this point. 

adam.peterson44
#7questions re: upcoming musicals
Posted: 9/10/15 at 11:18pm

One more question - does anyone know if there are any off-broadway shows this fall that have weekend performances at 4, 4:30, or 5pm?   The time between shows on weekends is too long for just dinner but too short for going for a long walk in Central Park and then showering and changing afterward (mornings are better for that), so i try to add an extra off-broadway slot on trips whenever i can in between the usual matinee and evening times.  I found a show called "Motherstruck" with weekend 5pm shows this fall, but couldn't easily find any others.  (Suggestions where to look for listings by day/time for off-broadway shows are also welcome.)  Thanks!

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#8questions re: upcoming musicals
Posted: 9/11/15 at 12:59am

There is always Blue Man Group that has a 5pm Saturday show. Also Colin Quinn is bringing back his 1 man show New York Story in late October and he will have 5 pm shows both Saturday and Sunday. If you are familiar with him and his other 1 man shows, you'd probably enjoy this one. I'm not familiar with any others that have performances at that time but you can check the listings on Playbill.  It's by show but it probably wouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes to go thru the entire list to check show times.

adam.peterson44
#9questions re: upcoming musicals
Posted: 9/11/15 at 1:01am

Thanks!

Edited to update:  I ended up getting a ticket to New York Story for Sunday - i am not familiar with the performer but the subject looks interesting.  I will wait until i have a running time for Saturday's performance of The Color Purple to figure out if there is enough time to go downtown by 5pm. 

Thanks for the help!

Updated On: 9/11/15 at 01:01 AM

Videos