9/11 and Broadway

BwayDude2
#19/11 and Broadway
Posted: 9/11/15 at 11:40am

As a 20 year old who was in kindergarten when 9/11 took place, I am curious on how Broadway and theater in NYC was effected by this tragedy. I'd love to hear your thoughts. My prayers go to all those who lost someone 14 years ago. 

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#29/11 and Broadway
Posted: 9/11/15 at 11:43am

Iirc, it caused a big financial impact. I don't remember if shows closed as a direct result but I know a ton of restaurants did. 

broadwayguy2
#39/11 and Broadway
Posted: 9/11/15 at 12:07pm

The explanation that you are looking for could fill an entire book.

the short answer is that shows were dark for a few days. When performances began again, audiences were thin. To this day, I listen to stories from friends who were in Broadway shows at the time and remember the first show back and how sober everyone was, but how joyous the audiences who be by the end, grateful for the escape. Some shows closed, most all struggled, many were granted pay cuts by the unions to help keep them afloat. Several downtown venues became the kiss of death for a while because audiences weren't venturing downtown.

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#49/11 and Broadway
Posted: 9/11/15 at 12:08pm

This identical question was asked a few years ago, and it was bumped up in the past week or two, so there should be some good answers for you in the first few pages of this forum.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#59/11 and Broadway
Posted: 9/11/15 at 12:35pm

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/09/11/theater/mamma-mia-closing.html?ref=arts&_r=0  Some discussion of Mamma Mia which was in rehearsals and then opened in October - bringing needed joy.

Also, the Actors Fund concert of Dreamgirls was held on September 24.  And while there was always going to be love for the show - there may have been some extra love from that audience.  

Baileyboo
#69/11 and Broadway
Posted: 9/11/15 at 12:48pm

Go to Youtube and type 2001 Give My Regards To Broadway Visa Commercial.

Captures some of the emotion of the time.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#79/11 and Broadway
Posted: 9/11/15 at 1:33pm

The show ended up flopping, but I believe Dance of the Vampires pushed back their previews/opening due to the 9/11 attacks.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#89/11 and Broadway
Posted: 9/11/15 at 1:58pm

"Bat Boy" was supposed to transfer to Broadway but was heavily impacted by 9/11 and closed Off-Broadway shortly after.

"Funny Girl" with Leslie Kritzer had already made plans to transfer, and Leslie had the part on Broadway, but it fell through because of the attacks.

Another Kritzer related story, on the day of 9/11, she was supposed to go in for her final callback for "Assassins" as Squeaky, but as you can guess, the production was postponed for years before finally happening without most of the planned cast in 2001.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

CarynR
#99/11 and Broadway
Posted: 9/11/15 at 2:03pm

Here's a piece I wrote on the 10th Anniversary of 9/11, which looks back on how Broadway was affected by the tragic events: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-BWW-Remembers-911-A-Look-Back-20110911

Videos