Hamilton standing room

Theatre Geek2
#1Hamilton standing room
Posted: 9/23/15 at 11:08am

Has anyone gotten standing room for Hamilton recently?  It's my understanding that after the inital drawing, standing room tickets are then distributed via lottery.  Do hundreds of people participate in the SR lottery or just a few?  Are the standing rooms spots partial view because of the overhang?

Updated On: 9/23/15 at 11:08 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Hamilton standing room
Posted: 9/23/15 at 11:09am

Theatre Geek2 said: "Has anyone gotten standing room for Hamilton recently?  It's my understanding that after the inital drawing, standing room tickets are than distributed via lottery.  Do hundreds of people participate in the SR lottery or just a few?  Are the standing rooms spots partial view because of the overhang?"

SR happens immediately as part of the same lottery, so I don't think many people leave at that point. And they do say that because of the overhang SR is PV.

Theatre Geek2
#3Hamilton standing room
Posted: 9/23/15 at 2:48pm

Back in June of 2012 the Nederlander was doing something similar for Newsies. I did their lottery on a Sunday afternoon -- there were well over a hundred people participating.  After the drawing, the guy in charge mentioned that standing room was available; however, not many people were interested so it was pretty easy for anyone to get a SR ticket.  The Nederlander (like the Rodgers) has a low overhang and Newsies (like Hamilton) had a two-tier set so standing room was a mixed bag.  I'm assuming that this is not the case with Hamilton and that tons of people are willing to do standing room to get to see it.

Has anyone here actually gotten a SR ticket for Hamilton?

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#4Hamilton standing room
Posted: 9/23/15 at 3:22pm

I won Standing Room and the view was great. Yes you miss a bit of what is happening on the upper level but it's nothing crucial. 

Theatre Geek2
#5Hamilton standing room
Posted: 9/23/15 at 5:04pm

Did hundreds of people participate in the drawing for standing room or was it a smaller number?

I saw Hamilton in March at the Public and, of course, was blown away by its inventiveness.  I'm going back to New York in October and would like to see it again.  I was wondering what my odds would be doing the standing room lottery.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#6Hamilton standing room
Posted: 9/23/15 at 5:11pm

The standing room lotto isn't a separate lotto from the main one. They just continue to pull from the same bucket after they do the front row seats so there's still quite a few names in there, and I believe that everyone who got called accepted the tickets.

Theatre Geek2
#7Hamilton standing room
Posted: 9/23/15 at 5:25pm

Thanks for the info.

luckyleo81
#8Hamilton standing room
Posted: 9/23/15 at 7:35pm

I agree with the previous posters that your chance of winning standing room is as likely as winning the lottery on any given day.  The day I won 3 people turned down standing room tickets which allowed me to win the second to last ticket.  The person after me came in a pair and the house manager (at least I think that's who he was) was overseeing the lottery and actually allowed the guy's friend to buy a standing room ticket too, which I thought was very nice. The view is perfectly wonderful for the price you pay.  It is definitely partial view, but having seen it at the Public I knew nothing important is really happening up there, and they even seemed to  have reduced the use of the balcony and stairs for Broadway, if my memory serves me right.  

Videos