Dames at Sea - good for kids?

UConn
#1Dames at Sea - good for kids?
Posted: 10/29/15 at 3:26pm

I was thinking of taking my 9 year old and 14 year old girls. The younger one is a tap dancer  and the older one is a singer. Is sounds like it could be fun to watch.

Updated On: 10/29/15 at 03:26 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#2Dames at Sea - good for kids?
Posted: 10/29/15 at 3:35pm

I think they'll definitely enjoy it.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

cc5916
#3Dames at Sea - good for kids?
Posted: 10/29/15 at 3:50pm

Absolutely! You will all love it.

ramsay15 Profile Photo
ramsay15
#4Dames at Sea - good for kids?
Posted: 10/29/15 at 5:27pm

In my opinion it's a great show for kids. in addition to the dancing, they'll love the wrecking ball.

VintageSnarker
#5Dames at Sea - good for kids?
Posted: 10/29/15 at 5:41pm

Well, I certainly don't think it's bad for kids. I don't remember anything objectionable (well, depending how you feel about the Singapore Sue number which I didn't find offensive). I think they might not get some of the classic movie humor but all of the accessible jokes are pretty broad. I don't think they'll be that impressed by the wrecking ball but they will for sure by the tapping. Have fun if you do decide to go!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#6Dames at Sea - good for kids?
Posted: 10/29/15 at 8:35pm

I've directed the show before and Snarker sums it up well. In addition to the parody of Busby Berkeley, there's some broad humor that any age kid can enjoy. There are a few mild double entendres in "Pensacola", but I doubt even the brightest 14-year-old would get them.

"Singapore Sue" is a parody of a specific song: Jimmy Cagney's "Shanghai Lil" in FOOTLIGHT PARADE. IIRC the "yellow-face" is kept to a minimum, if used at all. But I have to admit I wouldn't accept a SHOWBOAT Queenie in blackface just because the original did it that way. So it will be interesting to see what they do with the number. If one finds it objectionable, I think 9 and 14 are old enough to discuss issues of representation.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#7Dames at Sea - good for kids?
Posted: 10/29/15 at 9:55pm

Saw this last weekend, it is a good show for kids.   Especially if they are dancers and theater kids.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#8Dames at Sea - good for kids?
Posted: 10/29/15 at 10:02pm

GavestonPS said: "Singapore Sue" is a parody of a specific song: Jimmy Cagney's "Shanghai Lil" in FOOTLIGHT PARADE. IIRC the "yellow-face" is kept to a minimum, if used at all. But I have to admit I wouldn't accept a SHOWBOAT Queenie in blackface just because the original did it that way. So it will be interesting to see what they do with the number. If one finds it objectionable, I think 9 and 14 are old enough to discuss issues of representation."

According to an interview given by Randy Skinner, that number has been washed clean of objectionable elements. I haven't seen the show myself yet, but I've heard they did a good job of making it PC.   

Videos