pixeltracker

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement - Page 4

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#75Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 11:50am

Seriously Dave? For someone who went on a tirade about not understanding why The Wiz needed to feature an all black cast, you certainly have no business being on this thread. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#76Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 11:51am

He just thinks a bookish over-achiever should be Asian.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Showface
Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#78Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 12:02pm

It's so funny that a story with  major race related themes, has it's fans upset that a black woman is playing Hermione. I guess lots of Potter fans deserve to be in Slytherin with the racist Malfoys...

DigificWriter
#79Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 1:40pm

hork said: "Everyone needs to calm the F down. Why does this hysteria erupt every time race is brought up? WickedGinger is disappointed in the casting, because it's not how he pictured Hermione. So what? Just ... let him be disappointed. What difference does it make? Book readers gets images in their heads about how a character looks, and it's exciting for them when the characters in a film adaptation match their mental image. It's like their imagination is up there right on the screen. You've heard the expression "He stepped right out of the book," no doubt. WickedGinger doesn't get to have this experience. It's disappointing for him. Get over it. It's not about "believing" in a black Hermione, the way you believe in unicorns and magic wands. It's about accepting this character as the same character you've been reading about for years. I mean, I still can't accept Hugh Jackman's Wolverine as the Wolverine I grew up reading about, because he's too tall, too handsome, and too charming, which is not at all what the comic book version is like. I think he's fine in the role, and has made it his own, but his Wolverine is not Marvel Comics's Wolverine. I didn't get that "he stepped off the page" experience, which was a little disappointing, but I got over it. Just like WickedGinger will get over it.

"

As I previously mentioned (and as was pointed out by JKR herself), Hermione was never described as being Canonically Caucasian. Assumptions that the character is "white by default" are not suitable justification for behaving as if the casting of a black actress as Hermione is somehow an egregious faux pas that goes against some inviolable previously-established precedent.

Dave19
#80Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 3:33pm

hork said: " Everyone needs to calm the F down. Why does this hysteria erupt every time race is brought up? WickedGinger is disappointed in the casting, because it's not how he pictured Hermione. So what? Just ... let him be disappointed. What difference does it make? "

Exactly. This is not different then disappointment in any other characteristic. Anyone going hysterical about someone disliking any of these characteristics (including age, gender, type or color that does not match how you picture a role), needs to go to a mental institution asap.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#81Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 3:36pm

DigificWriter said: As I previously mentioned (and as was pointed out by JKR herself), Hermione was never described as being Canonically Caucasian. Assumptions that the character is "white by default" are not suitable justification for behaving as if the casting of a black actress as Hermione is somehow an egregious faux pas that goes against some inviolable previously-established precedent.

Brunette English girl with an English name ... it's natural to assume she's white unless told otherwise (and are nervous black people ever described as having a "white face"?). There are four or five minor characters whom we are specifically told are black. You'd think if one of the main characters were black, there'd be some mention of it in seven books. This is why Wicked Ginger (and most people) pictured her as white. If a book is set in Nigeria, it's assumed the characters are black by default unless we're told otherwise. It wasn't my impression that Wicked Ginger claimed the casting to be an egregious faux pas, just not in keeping with his image of her.

Dave19
#82Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 3:36pm

Hamilton22 said: ".... needed to feature an all black cast "

And what exactly does that have to do with "needing a black Hermione"?

That's my point. Your need is too big. It should not matter. You have a problem.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 03:36 PM

Dave19
#83Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 3:37pm

Kad said: "He just thinks a bookish over-achiever should be Asian. "

Nothing "should be". It just very well "could be".

DigificWriter
#84Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 3:46pm

hork said: "Brunette English girl with an English name ..."

Brown-haired is not the same thing as Brunettr-haired, and there was absolutely no reason to assume, based solely on the Canonical details we received on her, to assume that the character was "white by default", and it would be very easy for JKR to use the casting of Noma to retroactively cement the character as non-Caucasian in official Canon.

Dave19
#85Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 3:48pm

I wonder what the actual point of the hysterical racists in this thread is, who are way too happy that she is black. Shouldn't it be more about the role? Would you be less happy if it was any other race?

I refuse to look at race first, and treat every characteristic the same in my disappointment of a casting choice. Now, in this Hermione case, I personally don't care because it is a fantasy story, but aside from story, the audience is not blind. And you can not ask them to be. People will always see her characteristics. Including her color.

So the idea here is "hiding her skin color or turn a blind eye"? Or "showing it and explaining it, story/location/history wise". Whatever that story may be. The second option is more respectful.

Actually "color blind casting" is the rudest phrase.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 03:48 PM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#86Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 4:00pm

DigificWriter said:  Brown-haired is not the same thing as Brunettr-haired,

Brown-haired, then, though I'm not sure how that helps your argument.

and there was absolutely no reason to assume, based solely on the Canonical details we received on her, to assume that the character was "white by default",

Other than the ones I've mentioned? She's English and has the most English name ever. It's not like England is crawling with black people named "Granger." I don't think we're told Cho Chang is Asian, either. And we're definitely not told that the Patil twins are Indian. But it's safe to assume they are.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#87Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 4:10pm

For someone who refuses to look at race, Dave19, you do an awful lot of talking about race.

In fact, it's one of the major things you discuss on this board.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/23/15 at 04:10 PM

Showface
#88Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 4:26pm

Why are people upset over making Hermoine,a fictional character,  black, but just fine with the whitewashing of the ancient Egyptians and countless other figures of history?

Anway, JKR approved the casting, the casting is done with, and the majority of people are okay with this. What's done is done. 

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 04:26 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#89Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 4:36pm

So it's very sad to see that a casting announcement for a play in London, Is dominated on this board by the race of the actors.

It's not.

We are used to blind casting in the UK, it should not be an issue.

Uh huh.

Now that Broadway is dominated by corporate theatre, with UK imports to provide added class. I have come to realise, it will be no great loss.

So you can see Thriller Live as many times as you like!  As well as Aladdin, The Lion King, Beautiful, Book of Mormon, Wicked, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Jersey Boys, In the Heights, Kinky Boots, Memphis, and Mamma Mia.

Why cant fans complain that the casting of an actor or actress goes against what they had imagined in their heads for years?

They can complain all they want.  They just sound a bit ridiculous.  And I hope none of them ever see any production of a Shakespeare play.  They are likely to be very upset.

I also have a major problem with the casting of Ron. He isn't a proper red head. Yes, they can use wig, hair dye, but look at the horrendous colour of the twins, Fred & George, in the Harry Potter series who did dye their hair.) Also Noma and Paul look too old to be playing the parts, in addition the look five to ten older than Jamie.

I suggest you never go to the theatre as you will always be disappointed.  In fact, anyone who believes that a character can only be defined by a single actor's appearance, ESPECIALLY as part of a franchise, should never ever set foot in any theatre.

However, once Emma Watson was cast as Hermione, and Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint as Harry and Ron, their images became seared in the minds of the HP fans.

Then they will have to be content with never seeing anything Harry Potter-related ever again.

I mentioned one possible solution: A quick line or two of dialogue that talks about some magical transformation in appearance -- perhaps a potion gone wrong.

That's not a solution.  That's pandering to closed-minded individuals with no sense of imagination or concept of live theatre.

Another, at least for Hermione, is to have a disclaimer in the program book saying that this production is not related to the movies, but is intended only as a sequel to the books.

If people assume this production is an extension of the films only, that is their own fault for 1) not acknowledging the films were based on the books and 2) not ever reading a single news item, press release, or online mention of this production.  If you require an excuse for this casting, then satisfy yourself with your own or simply, don't see the show if it causes you such distress.  This production owes NOBODY an explanation for casting a fictional character with an actress that does not appear the way certain people may have imagined.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Dave19
#90Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 4:40pm

Kad said: "For someone who refuses to look at race, Dave19, you do an awful lot of talking about race.

In fact, it's one of the major things you discuss on this board.
"

Exactly, and I will continue to do so until this hypocrite "double agenda" attitude stops.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#91Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 4:42pm

Best 12 Bars, I would fall into the category of people who love the books but find the movies incredibly bland. Either way, I'm exited for this new play and could not care less about Hermione's race as long as she's good in the role (which Emma Watson certainly wasn't).

DigificWriter
#92Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 4:43pm

hork said: "She's English and has the most English name ever."

Without seeing pictures, would you automatically assume that David Harewood, Colin Salmon, David Ramsey, Will Smith, and Jamie Foxx are Caucasian based just on their names?

The "Englishness" of Hermione's name means absolutely nothing as far as her skin color and ethnicity are concerned.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 04:43 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#93Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 4:50pm

"Exactly, and I will continue to do so until this hypocrite "double agenda" attitude stops."

It won't, because nobody lives in the same dimension you do where race apparently is no longer an issue and everyone is judged by merit alone. The world is not there. We will not be there for a very, very long time. The fact that racial politics are coming to head in all major Western countries should, I dunno, signify that to you.

Dave19
#94Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 5:15pm

Kad said: ""Exactly, and I will continue to do so until this hypocrite "double agenda" attitude stops."

It won't, because nobody lives in the same dimension you do where race apparently is no longer an issue and everyone is judged by merit alone. The world is not there. We will not be there for a very, very long time. The fact that racial politics are coming to head in all major Western countries should, I dunno, signify that to you.
"

A "double agenda" will never result in equality.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#95Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 5:16pm

DigificWriter said: Without seeing pictures, would you automatically assume that David Harewood, Colin Salmon, David Ramsey, Will Smith, and Jamie Foxx are Caucasian based just on their names?

I wouldn't assume anything if I just saw their names. But if David Harewood and Colin Salmon were major characters in a novel, and no mention of their race were made, then yes, I would assume they're white. The others are American, and it's more common for African-Americans to have English names than it is for African-Brits (for obvious reasons), so I'd be less inclined to make that assumption. But usually when a character is a minority, we're told they're a minority. That's just good writing. Being a minority is part of their character, it's kind of hard to write around it.

The "Englishness" of Hermione's name means absolutely nothing as far as her skin color and ethnicity are concerned.

Riiight. Because names are never indicative of ethnicity, and ethnically English people are so commonly dark skinned.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 05:16 PM

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#96Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 5:34pm

If people are this upset about a black Hermionee then imagine what the christians would do if they found out their lord and savior was middle eastern! Oy!

Dave19
#97Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 5:42pm

Each race is unique, people look different, and have different characteristics. 

A male is not a female, a 15 year old is not a 50 year old, and a black person is not a white person. That is what casting is about and we should notice and celebrate these differences big time.

Of course this does not have anything to do with the "worth" of a person. 

Now people who want to make skin color disappear on one day and celebrate it the next day (whenever it suits them) are the people who keep racism intact. This double agenda maintains  separation.

Because what is the solution?  "hiding skin color or turn a blind eye"? Or "showing it and explaining it, story/location/history wise". Whatever that story may be. The second option is more respectful.

Actually "color blind casting" is the rudest phrase.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 05:42 PM

DigificWriter
#98Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 5:45pm

hork said: "if David Harewood and Colin Salmon were major characters in a novel, and no mention of their race were made, then yes, I would assume they're white."

Then you ought to re-evaluate yourself.

"White By Default" is a patently stupid idea, period.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 05:45 PM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#99Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 6:00pm

DigificWriter said: "hork said: "if David Harewood and Colin Salmon were major characters in a novel, and no mention of their race were made, then yes, I would assume they're white."

Then you ought to re-evaluate yourself.

"White By Default" is a patently stupid idea, period.

Just because there are some African-Brits with English names, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with assuming that an English character with an English name is white unless told otherwise. I don't know how else to explain it to you.