pixeltracker

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!- Page 13

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#300BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:28am

What Lizzy said was pretty much it. There was one other question what type vendors you want/wanted to see at the marketplace.

The 400-character box wasn't very much, considering that the questions were pretty generic, but they did offer you could also write an email and I managed to fit everything in in the end.

Pootie2
#301BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 2/9/16 at 12:49pm

UnwoundFantasies said: "Thanks Lizzy for the input! Pootie, I figured that's what they did but they had all the volunteers emails as well. "

Given the nature of the questions, though, those weren't geared towards volunteers because we'd expect volunteers and staff to be concentrating on their duties and not the events and content from a consumption perspective; I'd design a completely different survey for volunteers, but ultimately it'd be very similar to an employer survey, and those are extremely rare from my experience. Any company is going to be more interested (if they are at all) in customer feedback rather than their own staff, unfortunately. This is why sites like Glassdoor exist, I suppose.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

TerrenceIsTheMann
#302BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 2/10/16 at 3:11am

As a person who goes to conventions on the reg, a lot of these issues being brought up happen at all conventions and there is nothing to really fix it, I.E. lines. What BroadwayCon needs to do are two things.

1) Put out an immersive exhibit floor. This is 100% necessary and is the cornerstone of the best cons.

2) Diversify the lineup and panels to include more shows. Rent was obviously the main focus, with Anthony Rapp and all, but that wont fly two years in a row. They had zero content for even big shows like Les Mis and A Chorus Line. "Broadway Boppers" still appreciate older musicals, trust me. 

Pootie2
#303BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 2/10/16 at 9:49am

TerrenceIsTheMann said: "As a person who goes to conventions on the reg, a lot of these issues being brought up happen at all conventions and there is nothing to really fix it, I.E. lines. What BroadwayCon needs to do are two things.

1) Put out an immersive exhibit floor. This is 100% necessary and is the cornerstone of the best cons.

2) Diversify the lineup and panels to include more shows. Rent was obviously the main focus, with Anthony Rapp and all, but that wont fly two years in a row. They had zero content for even big shows like Les Mis and A Chorus Line. "Broadway Boppers" still appreciate older musicals, trust me. "

Lines and crowds can't be "fixed," but crowd control is a separate thing. RENT was *a focus not because of Rapp but because it was the 20th anniversary, so obviously that can't fly two years in a row. As for panel content for other shows, people involved in those shows should lead such things, so perhaps availability was an issue (who knows).

*And then Hamilton

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin
Updated On: 2/10/16 at 09:49 AM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#304BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 2/10/16 at 9:58am

I just wanted to make an albeit delayed comment regarding the person who mentioned that the most recognizable working star from the RENT OBC wasn't there.

Have any of you read the article with Adam Pascal that was released on Playbill this week? It truly made me sad. Aside from Idina and Taye, all of the original cast members of such a beloved show seem to have struggled since then. It really drove the point of how difficult it is to make a living as an actor, and how much of it is based on luck.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#305BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 2/10/16 at 10:03am

This is the Pascal article in question:
http://playbill.com/news/article/failure-makes-you-grow-says-adam-pascal-as-he-returns-to-the-nederlander-anew-384128

And re: availability of people for panels, I'm sure there were other names out there who wanted to see how the first BroadwayCon went before they decided if they'd want to be involved.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

UnwoundFantasies
#306BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 2/10/16 at 3:12pm

Very good point Pootie. That makes sense.