pixeltracker

Academy takes historic action to increase diversity- Page 3

Academy takes historic action to increase diversity

BeadleDeedle Profile Photo
BeadleDeedle
#50Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 12:47pm

Dave, no one will answer your questions because no one has taken those positions. Its like you're not reading the content of anyone else's posts and just sticking to an ill informed conversation you've been having with yourself. Either you are completely a troll or you lack serious comprehension skills. 

No one is saying they're upset their "favourite" race isn't nominated, you ponce. You place so much faith in institutions like the academy to always pick the best whatever. Why? They're just a group of humans who are as capable of conscious or unconscious racial bias as anyone. In this case, the group is staggeringly made up of old white men, perhaps many of them whom have very little to do with the film industry anymore. Its an old classist Hollywood Boy's Club who's voting greatly impacts people's careers and the industry at large. People would like the membership of this exclusive group to become more diverse. That's what is happening here. People made a stink because of how they see the film industry going in terms of diversity and now the academy is attempting to address that in a tactful and smart way. That's it. Why do you insist having this bs argument with yourself over race (almost exclusively in Les Miserables...jeezus, Nunn and Caird directed it to be so theatrical and presentational. Its hardly realism. Who gives a **** if Fantine's black). Basically, read a book and stop trying to Britsplain race to Americans. 

FindingNamo
#51Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 12:53pm

BRA.  VO!!!!!!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Dave19
#52Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 12:54pm

Beadle, I am not the one that pulled race into this. 

In my opinion it has nothing to do with it. Like you, I too wonder where it came in.

And Namo, I am actually defensive about black people. I don't want them to be seen as insecure, subordinate people who totally lack any form of being reasonable or objective about any situation that does not include a black person. Some things in life actually have other reasons behind it than race.

FindingNamo
#53Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 12:57pm

You're the new MLK and Nelson Mandela combined.

Once again, child, it is NOT racist to discuss racial bias.

Go read something.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#54Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 12:58pm

Dave is a troll who managed to derail a conversation for pages over his hypothetical scenario of a meaningless supporting role in Phantom being cast with someone of color. 

He is also the poster who argued that Glee was too complex for audiences to fully appreciate and that Hugh Jackman was not a bankable box office name where he comes from- which, based on what he posts, can only be Bizarro World. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Dave19
#55Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:01pm

And about the academy's decision to increase diversity, I am all for that, but let's hope people will continue to judge solely on performances, so it could very well be that people like Namo will be upset next year again, if he/she doesn't like the racial outcome, which is clearly more important to Namo. Because any situation that does not include a black person is racism.

Dave19
#56Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:03pm

FindingNamo said: "Once again, child, it is NOT racist to discuss racial bias."

Racial bias............like in pulling the race card in any situation that does not include a black person?

I see.....

Let's just say it is totally irrational and rude to accuse someone of racial bias without anything to back it up, aside from the fact you don't see a black person somewhere.

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 01:03 PM

BeadleDeedle
#57Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:08pm

You do not see. You are still talking to yourself. Seek help. 

FindingNamo
#58Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:10pm

Really, really dumb.

We keep talking about institutional racial bias and Dave tries to make it about himself and the individuals who make up the institutions.  TOTALLY missing the point.  It's a shame he thinks he knows ALL (his caps) about the subject because if he didn't he could learn ALL (my caps) the things he doesn't know if he were at all curious.

Dave19
#59Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:12pm

Kad said: "a supporting role in Phantom being cast with someone of color. "

Really Kad........go wash your ass.

My point there was that anyone can play anything. That it was NOT racist towards the Meditteranean race (sub race of white) if a black person plays Piangi. Just like it is by no means racist if 4 Oscar nominees in a category happen to be not black.

Feel free to disagree.

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 01:12 PM

Dave19
#60Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:18pm

FindingNamo said: "We keep talking about institutional racial bias"

Good for you. And what does this have to do with the Oscars?

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 01:18 PM

FindingNamo
#61Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:20pm

The academy is an institution.

And you are looking really stupid.

Dave19
#62Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:23pm

I know what the academy is. I would like to know why you are so sure they have racial bias.

You look stupid here.

FindingNamo
#63Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:31pm

I'd like to go back to the unanswered question from Borstalboy:

Why does this matter to you so much, Dave?

Who appointed you Racism Denialist?

Dave19
#64Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:36pm

I'd like to go back to my last question: Why you are so sure the Academy has racial bias?

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 01:36 PM

FindingNamo
#65Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:43pm

Because it is self-evident.

You'd make one awful detective.

Why are you a Racism Denialist?

Dave19
#66Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:43pm

I will also answer yours. Why it matters to me? Because I have seen all the films and performances and I completely agree that the best performances were nominated. Any other outcome than this would have been unfair.

Dave19
#67Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:45pm

FindingNamo said: "Because it is self-evident."

Because you don't see a black person in the 4 nominees? You must be joking, right?

Have you actually seen the films?

FindingNamo
#68Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 1:54pm

Stop playing stupid.  Stop being a Racism Denialist.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/chris-rock-rewriting-monologue-following-oscars-boycott-20160124#ixzz3yBdgwjYi

BeadleDeedle
#69Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 2:06pm

How Mark Ruffalo got nominated for that hammy, indulgent, and tic-y performance in Spotlight is completely mind boggling to me. And I love Mark Ruffalo. You completely agree with those nominations as the best work in the entire year of cinema? Are you aware at all of how studios and producers campaign and dump tons of money to appeal to these old white men on the academy? That some movies are preordained before they're even released to be "Oscar movies"? Bryan Cranston's hammy, indulgent, and tic-y perfomance in the mediocre at best Trumbo is "better" than Idris Elba's monstrous but thrilling perfomance in Beasts of No Nation? I don't think so. 

But that's beside the point. You cannot intelligently participate in this conversation because you do not understand the glaring flaws in the system. To quote Walter Sobchak in The Big Lebowski: "So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know"

I can't believe Spotlight is nominated for Best Picture over Carol and Straight Outta Compton. Dull filmmaking with pedestrian performances from all. Except BDJ of course. 

FindingNamo
#70Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 2:09pm

"Chi-Raq".  Literally ANY OTHER ASPECT of "Creed" besides the one white supporting actor.  "Beasts of No Nation."  "Tangerine."

And that's just among the things THIS year.

I second Beadle's Big Lebowski quote for you, Dave.  Now, go out and try to learn a thing or two.

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 02:09 PM

Dave19
#71Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 2:22pm

FindingNamo said: "

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/chris-rock-rewriting-monologue-following-oscars-boycott-20160124#ixzz3yBdgwjYi

"

So?

The academy loves a funny speech. It gives them character. Actually, a funny speech is all that's needed. Nothing serious. The Academy will always focus solely on performances. So no doubt this will happen again, because every nominee composition is possible, including all white, depending on the performances per year.

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 02:22 PM

FindingNamo
#72Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 2:45pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVPdyYeaQU

And Dave19!

Dave19
#73Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 2:48pm

Pulling the race card in each and every possible situation is actually kind of pathetic and insecure, but to call it "stupid" is a bit disrespectful.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#74Academy takes historic action to increase diversity
Posted: 1/24/16 at 2:58pm

The insistence that "true racism" is the efforts to increase diversity and recognition of people in color because it somehow "enhances focus on race" is a pretty common tactic.  It can be utilized with breathtakingly cruel brilliance, but this is a pretty poorly-executed example of it.

White men in entrenched positions of power don't require your defense.