Help me choose one more show?

AwesomeDanny
#1Help me choose one more show?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 12:55am

I'm leaving for NYC tomorrow (Thursday, and I'm flying back on Monday afternoon), and I'm finalizing my plans of what shows to see. The shows I have planned are:

Thursday: Antlia Pneumatica (the main reason for my trip, kind of)

Friday: Fun Home (the other main reason for my trip)

Sunday evening: The Color Purple (another high on my list, and I see it's one of the few shows with Sunday evening performances)

I think that on Saturday I will try to see She Loves Me and Fiddler on the Roof, and that leaves me with one more slot open to see a show Sunday afternoon. These are the shows I am thinking of:

• The Humans (saw it in Chicago, adored it, would love to see it again in this production, but I'm hesitant because there are so many other things I haven't seen)
  • Smokefall (same as The Humans)
  • Sense and Sensibility (I know little about Bedlam but what I've read about this production really intrigues me)
  • The Robber Bridegroom (big fan of Pasquale, but I don't know much about this show)
  • The King & I (love the show, but if I miss it, I can see Kate Baldwin in another production in Chicago next month)
  • Buried Child (the cast looks exciting, and I really love True West, but I don't know much Shepard beyond that)
  • The Fantasticks (the musical is a favorite of mine, and I've almost seen it in NYC several times, but I always figured that it would be around next time. Is now the time to finally see it? How is the current cast?)
  • The Crucible (this one I'm on the fence about--I really love the text and the cast, but I really hated what Ivo van Hove did with A View from the Bridge. I would be open-minded about this, but the word on this board has really discouraged me)

I would really appreciate suggestions. As you can probably see from this list, my taste is rather eclectic. Since I live in Chicago, I get to see a lot of intimate, pared-down theatre, so I am hoping to fill the weekend with slightly more lavish production values, but I would also love to have variety in my weekend.

I am a student, and I plan to take advantage of discounts and rush.

C4b2a3b
#2Help me choose one more show?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 1:27am

Of the listed possibilities, I've only seen the King and I. Why miss Kelli O' Hara and Ruthie Ann Miles in their Tony winning roles? Miles' Something Wonderful still sticks in my mind from my summer 2015 visit. Hearing that large orchestra play the overture is icing on the cake. People on the BWW (and Ben Brantley's revisit, for what it's worth) have high praise for Hoon Lee too. Plus, you already love the show and you can't beat the linctix price! 

I'm coming to NY in a month, and so far I have tickets to see Eclipsed, Humans, and Blackbird

Sounds like you're gonna have a blast!

Updated On: 3/17/16 at 01:27 AM

C4b2a3b
#3Help me choose one more show?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 1:31am

Actually, it looks like it's Hoon Lee's last performance tonight. You'd get to see this production's original Ken Watanabe. 

Updated On: 3/17/16 at 01:31 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#4Help me choose one more show?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 1:31am

Of the ones you list, even though it seems you tend toward the modern stuff like me, King and I. It is a beautiful production, and you will not beat Kelli and Ken. This is the version to see.

if you hated Van Hove's View, his Crucible is even more masturbatory.

Updated On: 3/17/16 at 01:31 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#5Help me choose one more show?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 1:32am

Hoon Lee actually left sick early. Ken is on!

tripelite Profile Photo
tripelite
#6Help me choose one more show?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 1:44am

One more vote for King & I.  Kate Baldwin is among the very best and she will be wonderful in the Chicago production, but the LCT production is not to be missed.  I can't imagine the tour fully doing it justice either.  Seeing it in the Beaumont is truly special.  After South Pacific, Light in the Piazza, and King & I, I wouldn't be surprised if they change the name one day to the "O'Hara" Help me choose one more show?

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#7Help me choose one more show?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 2:37am

Sense and Sensibility and The King and I are wonderful. The Humans is the best thing in New York at the moment, but if you've already seen it I'd go with something else. The Robber Bridegroom is a lot of fun, but the show isn't exactly a masterpiece. 

Buried Child is horrible. 

Haven't seen Smokefall or The Crucible yet.

"In memory, everything happens to music"