pixeltracker

Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit- Page 4

Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit

thomaspaine
#75Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/11/16 at 12:01am

Full theater on Friday night. It was my second time seeing it -- saw it with Laura Shoop and liked her immensely. To me, she captured the awkward shyness and sadness to the character a lot more than Benanti, who's tough as nails in the part.

Has Zachary Levi stopped doing his cartwheel in She Loves Me? He didn't do it Friday, or, according to a friend, the night before either. That was such a cute part of it!

theatreguy12
#76Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/11/16 at 5:12am

Monster hit or not, makes no difference to me.  At the end of the day it comes down to what you enjoy.  This is a show that I've always been interested in seeing and I'm so glad I finally got to do so.  It was just terrific!  And just as entertaining and fun as I thought it would be.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#77Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/11/16 at 10:24am

How does someone explain the somewhat rarefied, less-than-blockbuster appeal of this beloved show without sounding like an absolute snob? 

Might it be that to open yourself fully to the joys of SHE LOVES ME requires a degree of audience attention less needed to enjoy most popular shows?   SHE LOVES ME is often said to be pure bliss.  But perhaps it's the bliss that comes from being totally beguiled by a world of romantic charm, delicacy and nuance?  Rather than the bliss that comes from being ravished by the joys offered by the other great shows? Joys which might be similarly rapturous and irresistible but are simply grander and more consuming?

Updated On: 4/11/16 at 10:24 AM

After Eight
#78Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/11/16 at 11:02am

"How does someone explain the somewhat rarefied, less-than-blockbuster appeal of this beloved show without sounding like an absolute snob? "

For starters, perhaps by not being one? But I think it just boils down to the simplest of explanations: Different strokes for different folks.

"Might it be that to open yourself fully to the joys of SHE LOVES ME requires a degree of audience attention less needed to enjoy most popular shows?"

I don't think so. Some people adore it; others don't. "I like Offenbach, you do not. So what, so what, so what?"

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#79Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/11/16 at 11:55am

You might have misconstrued my point, After Eight.   
Which I'm sure we'll both wear as a badge of honor.

Updated On: 4/11/16 at 11:55 AM

Wayman_Wong
#80Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/11/16 at 9:35pm

For ThomasPaine: Levi recently hurt his hamstring, so he stopped doing the cartwheel.

But I imagine he'll do it again once he's feeling better. ...

tripelite Profile Photo
tripelite
#81Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/11/16 at 9:54pm

Like many others, I enjoyed She Loves Me immensely and was perplexed as to why it isn't selling out.  I agree the title is among the worst, but I think it's more than that.  It has no hook - it isn't high-concept, it isn't edgy, it isn't based on something that resonates with most fans.  For revivals like King & I and Fiddler, most people saw the movie, saw it as kids, performed in it in school, etc.  Despite having seen hundreds of shows, I had never seen She Loves Me nor heard any songs (outside of Sirius XM).  I only saw it because I'm a fan of the cast.  People ask me every week what to see on Broadway - I always tell them about She Loves Me and often get blank stares in return.  Many people don't know what it is - who wants to see a revival of a show they've never heard of?  I tell them how truly delightful and charming it is, and for those who go invariably tell me how much they loved the show.  I do hope it becomes a bigger hit than it already is - the show and cast deserve it!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#82Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/11/16 at 10:06pm

Here's hoping Zachary's hamstring heals. The cartwheel was delightful.

Dollypop
#83Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/12/16 at 7:27am

Yes, the cartwheel is delightful but I fondly recall how Boyd Gaines showered the audience with love letters at that same point in the number.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

thomaspaine
#84Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/12/16 at 12:27pm

Wayman_Wong said: "For ThomasPaine: Levi recently hurt his hamstring, so he stopped doing the cartwheel.

But I imagine he'll do it again once he's feeling better. ...

"

Thanks for the info! Hope he heals quickly (not just for cartwheel reasons, ha!).

Videos