Carmen Cusack

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#75Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/20/16 at 9:11am

Reporting back…

You guys were SO right. Carmen is a delight and such a brilliant talent that it was worth seeing the show just for her. I actually really enjoyed the show, it was very charming and while I guessed the outcome of the entire story before intermission, I still thought it was well done. Great supporting cast too.

But Carmen’s voice and talent is something that just elevated the entire show.

Her entrance applause was pretty lackluster, but by the end of the show the crowd was over the moon about her – immediate standing ovation at curtain and a lotta whistling haha. I think that’s kind of a powerful statement in itself about her performance, her ability to win an audience over.

The balcony was probably 75% full, maybe more, the only seats that weren’t filled were on the very ends of balcony left and right. I couldn’t see the mezz, but the orchestra looked full as well. I think they’re still having trouble though, as Carmen was telling us at stage door to tell our friends about the show because they still have tickets to sell. So hopefully everything works out for them!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#76Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/20/16 at 11:01am

I don't think there were any seats available in the orchestra last night. What a delightful show. Cusack is giving a star turn, much like Jessie Mueller did a few years back. 

tja928 Profile Photo
tja928
#77Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/30/16 at 12:18am

Was lucky enough to catch 4 out of the 5 tony nominated leading ladies this weekend. And my goodness Carmen was just transcendent. Really just a captivating performance. Both heart wrenching and heart warming.  It's almost not fair that Tony voters have to make a choice between her and Cynthia this year!

I'd also echo what others have said, the theatre was pretty packed! (I went on Saturday night). We also got the Steve Martin bonus appearance which was great. Let's hope they get a nice bump from the Tony's, it's a great show that deserves all the success. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#78Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/30/16 at 12:05pm

Although I would absolutely love to see her win, I know it ain't gonna happen. In all seriousness, do you think if it weren't for Cynthia, the Tony would go to Carmen? 

I just think she is giving the most resplendent performance I've seen in ages (and yes I have seen every other women's performance in her category, as well as Audra's!). 

Updated On: 5/30/16 at 12:05 PM

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#79Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/30/16 at 12:42pm

TFMH18 said: "Although I would absolutely love to see her win, I know it ain't gonna happen. In all seriousness, do you think if it weren't for Cynthia, the Tony would go to Carmen? 

I just think she is giving the most resplendent performance I've seen in ages (and yes I have seen every other women's performance in her category, as well as Audra's!). 
"

I think if it weren't for Cynthia, Carmen would have a real shot but would face very tough competition from Jessie Mueller. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#80Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/30/16 at 4:10pm

I'd agree that the only potential nominee who could usurp her would be Jessie. In my mind, lovely as the performances are, Laura and Philippa just cannot compare to the emotional depth which Carmen and Jessie are giving. 

Oh well, obviously a moot point as Cynthia is as sure a thing as Hamilton. For Carmen, though, coming into this insanely packed Broadway season essentially as an unknown and being in contention for this category must be satisfying as hell on its own. The role has vastly changed her career and just to be recognized must be thrilling.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#81Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/30/16 at 4:46pm

Cusack gives an absolutely radiant performance. She reminded me of the first time I saw Inga Swenson in 110 in the Shade.Totally captivating and luminous. And the show is a lovely little musical with a terrific score (some lyrics aside) and sterling performances. A  wonderful surprise

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#82Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/31/16 at 10:31pm

Does anyone think it's at all a realistic possibility that she will be cast opposite Jake G for Sunday in the Park? She played Dot/Marie at Chicago Shakespeare and from what I've heard she was simply magnificent. The performance is on a Monday so it could coincide with her Bright Star schedule (and yes I am extremely aware that the show will likely have shuttered in the fall anyway, but for all intents and purposes it would work out).

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#83Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/31/16 at 10:36pm

I've heard more Bernadette rumors, but maybe they'll use Carmens current hype and cast her. But let's first hope she's not free Monday's.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#84Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/31/16 at 10:47pm

Well, she IS free on Mondays as is (as are all Bway actors!), which was my point :) but I'm with ya. Hoping she's far too busy with Bright Star for another project in the fall. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#85Carmen Cusack
Posted: 6/27/16 at 10:55pm

Someone posted in a Bright Star thread that they sat next to her husband at the show's final performance and they overheard him say that Carmen is doing a few dates at 54 Below later this summer. I am SO excited about this! Obviously, she has gotten a ton of attention for how brilliant she was as Alice Murphy, but I am so very curious to see her perform as Carmen Cusack and see what she's like as a different kind of artist. I also hope she chooses to sing some songs that span her insanely diverse career. Either way, so happy that Bright Star is affording her these opportunities (even though it didn't run as long as they'd have liked) and I will certainly be grabbing a ticket to one of her shows. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#86Carmen Cusack
Posted: 6/27/16 at 10:55pm

Double post

Updated On: 6/27/16 at 10:55 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#87Carmen Cusack
Posted: 6/28/16 at 1:14am

Yes that was me and someone else mentioned it as well. I think he said 3 dates end of July/beginning of August. It's not on the 54 below schedule yet. 

I hope it's a time I can make it to NY!

JennH
#88Carmen Cusack
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:10am

Saw the closing show....and I don't regret ONE penny spent! This show was/is a complete treat. Someone succinctly said that sure, the story/twist was pretty predictable, but that's kinda of how it's meant to be. It's not meant for the audience to figure out, we're more interested in seeing how ALICE figures it out and how she reacts. Add that aspect to the fact that this show isn't flashy, and you have a show that relies on it's actors and their PERFORMANCES, not a mystery for the audience to figure out, no super high belting or production number, no bell and whistles/flashy sets (don't get me wrong, I enjoy those too, they have their place), and much like Once (which I also have no shame in admitting I adore), it's a wonderful breath of fresh air. Unflashy shows, that rely on it's artists, there's no hiding behind bombast. And Carmen more than delivered, she got so much entrance applause, and it goes without saying that we all ERUPTED when she finished At Long Last :) 

Of course Steve played with the orchestra for the entr'acte, and curtain call went wild of course! We all just happily clapped along with the still playing bow music after bows were done, and out of nowhere Steve did some funky tap dance jig, which I'm happy to say I caught a video of. That and much of the entr'acte, and I'll forever treasure them :Carmen Cusack:)

I wouldn't say this show is a revelation or game changer, but I don't need a show to be an 'oh so dramatic, revelatory game changer' to be happy. As long as what I'm seeing works on stage, whether it be original or an adaptation, and it's written, conceived, directed, and performed well, I'm a happy camper! And this little gem of a show more then deserves a life after this, and it's been said it may do better on tour or in teh regional market, and good heavens I hope so. I know every show this season was overshadowed by the obvious, but even then, whoever was on marketing for this should be fired because the marketing was TERRIBLE. Of all the 'flops' this season, it's obvious something about Bright Star hit a chord with people, cause the reactions to this form the audience it DID get were something special that not even the other flops got, even if I didn't quite find an audience since everyone is concentrated on Hamilton. 

This article explains this really well and is exactly how I feel too. I only hope this tours and find it's audience elsewhere.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/cara-joy-david/the-joy-of-theater--the-j_b_10649238.html

ChiTheaterFan
#89Carmen Cusack
Posted: 6/28/16 at 9:12pm

That is a wonderful article that describes why I loved bright star and why I love theater in general. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#90Carmen Cusack
Posted: 7/14/16 at 4:24pm

Just thinking, are there any roles in upcoming '16-'17 shows she could potentially be cast in? So many new productions are coming in, with many having yet to announce casting. I don't want a Cusack-less Broadway season!

Call_me_jorge
#91Carmen Cusack
Posted: 7/14/16 at 5:38pm

best little whorehouse in Texas 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#92Carmen Cusack
Posted: 7/22/16 at 10:49am

A few people posted on Instagram about a reading of a new musical called "Dave" in which Carmen was the female lead. Brian Darcy James was the male lead. Anyone know anything about this project?

Call_me_jorge
#93Carmen Cusack
Posted: 7/22/16 at 11:00am

TFMH18 said: "A few people posted on Instagram about a reading of a new musical called "Dave" in which Carmen was the female lead. Brian Darcy James was the male lead. Anyone know anything about this project?

"

Like Dave the movie with Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver? Would she be in sigourney's role? I can't really see her as such, but I'm glad that she might have work.

ChiTheaterFan
#94Carmen Cusack
Posted: 7/22/16 at 11:24am

I overheard her husband talking about it at the last show of Bright Star. Yes, it's based on the movie and she is in Sigourney Weaver's role. Would love to hear if anyone has more info on it. 

#95Carmen Cusack
Posted: 7/23/16 at 12:49am

I worried that Bright Star didn't have what you need to sustain a long run on Broadway, but I was at the very first preview and knew, holy cow, if NOTHING else, this show will put Carmen Cusack on the map.  So glad that seems to be the case.  What a thrilling voice! 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#96Carmen Cusack
Posted: 11/21/16 at 1:44pm

Her next project! Sounds exciting, wish it weren't in Florida. Here's hoping it will have life and be produced again in New York. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Carmen-Cusack-to-Star-in-One-Woman-World-Premiere-DO-THIS-at-Gulfshore-Playhouse-Sheryl-Kaller-to-Direct-20161121

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#97Carmen Cusack
Posted: 1/5/17 at 7:34pm

Good interview about her new one-woman play. Anyone on here going? I'd love to hear how it is. 

http://www.playbill.com/article/bright-star-didnt-scare-carmen-cusackthis-does