Miss Saigon Cast?/ NY Pops Gala- Page 2

Miss Saigon Cast?/ NY Pops Gala

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#25Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/3/16 at 2:35pm

"That was fun. Who was singing the Valjean part in Confrontation?"

The conductor Steven Reineke.

"Thank you Theatermania! http://www.theatermania.com/video/lea-salonga-steven-pasquale-jeremy-jordan-and-more_1012.html"

Actually Marie Zamora and Lea Salonga both sang "On My Own / Mon Histoire," only that Marie did it in French and Lea did in English, and they both ended the song with "Toute seule dans mon histoire." Not sure why theatermania only credits Lea.

Wildcard
#26Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/3/16 at 2:42pm

Wasn't Jon Jon supposed to be a part of this gala? 

BdwayLife
#27Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/3/16 at 7:50pm

mpkie said: "What a glorious evening! The only way I can describe it is that it was like I had died and my ears went to heaven.

To answer the above question: "The Movie In My Mind" was a duet between Lea Salonga and Eva Nobelzada, the current London Miss Saigon.

There's so much to say... Jeremy Jordan was incredible and heartbreaking singing "Why God Why." Maybe if we all wished so very hard enough, he'll get cast as Chris. (UGH, I know it won't happen but I WISH!)

Terrence Mann did an incredible and entertaining "The American Dream" as a surprise guest (I think he replaced Keala Settle last minute, since she's listed in the playbill).

Jesse Tyler Ferguson did a hilarious rendition of "Master of the House" with Jeremy playing a drunken tavern-goer. It was a riot. And Patti LuPone is probably the most regal Mdme Thenardier I've ever heard.

Norm Lewis' "Stars".... just, ugh! Can't even!

I can go on forever!

I felt chills and pins/needles the whole show and had to fight the urge to standing-O at the end of each performance. XD

"Thanks mpike, sounds like you had a great time. Too bad it wasn't recorded! I'd love to listen to the performances. I did catch the clip of Jeremy singing the end of Why God, Why? Wow. 

Dave19
#28Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:05pm

Wow, that clip of Jeremy Jordan singing "Why God" is out of this world! Holy crap.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#29Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:47pm

Jeremy Jordan was born to play this role... if anyone sees a video or audio clip of that please post it!!! It was remarkable... 

theminutepast
#32Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/4/16 at 5:46pm

I enjoyed the concert. Jeremy Jordan in "Why, God, Why?" was a standout in every way, and I also liked the other song Marie Zamora sang, "Au Petit Matin / In the Early Morn." I had never heard it before.

Did anyone else think Patti LuPone was making some annoyed facial expressions when Stephanie was singing during IDAD? I know from her memoir that she's not a fan of actors changing the notes composers have written, and Stephanie was riffing and adding melody to the song. There were a few moments where Patti just did not seem pleased. Maybe I'm projecting because I didn't care for the additions either; I would have loved it to just be Patti and Lea.

jo
#33Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/4/16 at 8:22pm

PThespian said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: ""That was fun. Who was singing the Valjean part in Confrontation?"

The conductor Steven Reineke.

"Thank you Theatermania! http://www.theatermania.com/video/lea-salonga-steven-pasquale-jeremy-jordan-and-more_1012.html"

Actually Marie Zamora and Lea Salonga both sang "On My Own / Mon Histoire," only that Marie did it in French and Lea did in English, and they both ended the song with "Toute seule dans mon histoire." Not sure why theatermania only credits Lea.

Really? That's interesting. I love Marie Zamora, but she played Cosette in Paris and not Eponine. 

"

The original Cosette was Fabienne Guyon from the first stage production in Paris in 1980  ( the inspiration for the Mackintosh original production in London in 1985).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Mis%C3%A9rables_(musical)

Marie Zamora ( who is Mrs. Alain Boublil in private life) played the role of Cosette in the Paris production at Theatre Mogador in 1991.  This production ( which I was lucky to see) was based on the 1985 original London production, which was a little different from the 1980 musical staged in Paris ( and which was tied up with Original Concept Album in French)..

"

Updated On: 5/4/16 at 08:22 PM

jo
#35Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/5/16 at 1:56am

PThespian said: "You are absolutely correct. I apologize. I should have been more specific as to which production I was referring to. 

I always consider the 1991 production the original Paris production since it is the version of Les Miz that everyone knows. 

I'm glad Marie sang Au Petit Matin. It's one of my favorite songs from La Revolution Francaise which is an underrated score. There are lots of great songs in it. 

And I didn't know she was married to Alain. Cool. 

"

Have you ever listened to the Original Concept Album?  It became so popular that the album was reissued 10 years later, even after cast recordings from London and from Broadway had already been released.  Btw, the original stage production at Palais des Sports in Paris was seen by half a million people in a span of a few months. It had to close because of other contractual commitments of the venue.  If you look them up, there are some uploads on YouTube ( mostly still photographs) of many of the numbers from the original production ( but I think the recording used was from the Original Concept Album).  There is an interesting one where the French actress ( Rose Laurens  ( if I am not mistaken) sings a song called " L'air de la Misere"  for the character Fantine.  When you hear the melody, it is actually the song that became Eponine's Own My Own.

You may want to explore the original concept album since you seem to be a fan of Les Miserables. That was where it all started.

I do have La Revolution Francaise, if I can still find it .  I also got it in Paris at the time that I was looking for all things Les Miswink

Did the concert include songs from Martin Guerre? I had seen that during its run in London and I did like the score...hopefully, the buzz that they are re-working the musical is true, so it can be re-staged.

Updated On: 5/5/16 at 01:56 AM

smidge
#37Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/5/16 at 5:02am

Hugh Panaro sang I'm Martin Guerre and Montego Glover, Laura Osnes, Kyle Scatliffe  and Hugh sang In the Land of the Fathers. Also, Stephanie J. sang Woman from The Pirate Queen and the Pops played Entr'acte: The Wedding Ring. 

#38Miss Saigon Supporting Cast?
Posted: 5/5/16 at 10:15pm

Excellent concert, what an amazing concert to see, with so many talented people on one stage, I only wish that it would have been longer. I can add the song list and give a more detailed review when I get the chance, but I think people have mentioned most everything.

Stephen Pasquale and Terrence Mann were surprise guests, and excellent additions. They switched the order, and I was upset for a second because I thought that meant Jeremy Jordan wasn't going to perform (he did, they just changed the set list for whatever reason).

It was great to see Lea pass along the torch, though I am curious to see the revival!