pixeltracker

Rachel York and Betty Buckley Grey Gardens in New York?- Page 4

Rachel York and Betty Buckley Grey Gardens in New York?

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#75Rachel York & Betty Buckley Please come to New York!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 12:13pm

ljay889 said: "Is it permissible to cut a three minute song down to one minute? 

"

Probably not, but the song is absolutely dreadful.  I really wish the composers would do something with it.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#76Rachel York & Betty Buckley Please come to New York!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 12:23pm

I really hope that this does not come to Broadway. I love the musical too much. Or, if it does, that it gets a new director. This is community theater. So much of the original owed to the quality of the production. There is no mystery or magic here. 

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#77Rachel York & Betty Buckley Please come to New York!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 12:33pm

imo, I still don't see how some people see Grey Gardens as a convoluted and disjointed show. I've seen it 3 times and I completely understand the musical adaptation; of course if you knew of the background or the documentary, that may help but I don't think you need that.

The first and second acts work for me. The casting of Little and Big Edie as the same person but older becomes a dramatic transformation, the back story of Edie's father and Edie's husband...I think the songs ranging from so comedic and warm to being heart breaking at times is very much "theatrical" is the word I want. The music and songs are cohesive too. Don't forget both actresses won Tonys for their roles and they were/are both performances that defy and define acting and singing.

Please just bring this production back east to Arena or Kennedy in DC or NY; Please!  

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#78Rachel York & Betty Buckley Please come to New York!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 12:40pm

Agreed, I think it works beautifully. I've never fully understood complaints about the structure. It's the kind of enormous gesture that is really unique to theater. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#79Rachel York & Betty Buckley Please come to New York!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 12:44pm

Why not put it into the Pels for Roundabout? Seems about the right size. Although, this doesn't really seem like a re-imagination of the show, so maybe it doesn't warrant an NYC production. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#80Rachel York & Betty Buckley Please come to New York!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 12:59pm

It would be great in the Pels. I'm surprised any producer would find this commercially viable. Non profit or off Broadway is ideal. 

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#81Rachel York & Betty Buckley Please come to New York!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 7:29pm

Pels Theatre would be a perfect location. Recently saw Grey Gardens in London at Southwark and was surprised how I got into this because of the closeness to the staging. It's a fun show.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#82Rachel York & Betty Buckley Please come to New York!
Posted: 8/15/16 at 7:40am

Anyone go to any of the closing performances this past weekend?