New World Stages

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#25New World Stages
Posted: 7/6/16 at 4:01pm

I personally like NWS, a little cold and austere, but the theatres are all solid with great stadium seating and sight lines. They could add some artwork or something, but I like the industrial feel. I did like the shows at the bar with Marty Thomas and Marti Cummings, but I understand why they phased them out.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#26New World Stages
Posted: 7/6/16 at 4:26pm

Betty, they do have the Ken Fallin sketches on the walls. I also like the big lit screen that they have. They put the rainbow flag colors on it for Pride month and the colors look cool in the venue. 

Also, has anyone found the cherubs in there? I have.

Just give the world Love.

trpguyy
#27New World Stages
Posted: 7/6/16 at 4:28pm

everythingtaboo said: "Aside from the appalling cell phone service down there..."

Unless you work in the building and want to browse the internet on your coffee break, there's absolutely no need for cell service. It's a theater.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#28New World Stages
Posted: 7/6/16 at 4:53pm

When I worked there, verizon worked but not AT&T. If you stood near the stairs/escalator, anyone could get service.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#29New World Stages
Posted: 7/6/16 at 5:04pm

I also remember murmurs that many demised Broadway shows would move here (a la Ave Q., Rent, Peter, etc.) to sustain a longer, cheaper run. But maybe that was just board chatter. 

broadwayguy2
#30New World Stages
Posted: 7/6/16 at 5:24pm

Actually, bar entertainment IS "programming".

VintageSnarker
#31New World Stages
Posted: 7/6/16 at 5:43pm

Yeah, NWS is not the fanciest theater if you're going on a date or something like that. But if I'm going on my own, I'm going to see a show, not to hang out. I normally don't even leave my seat at intermission. And I think they do a good job with the theaters themselves. The set ups for the Maurice Hines show and especially The Woodsman were great. The Shear Madness theater is probably my least favorite of the ones I've been in there. I only have the vaguest memories of seeing the 39 Steps there but I think it worked OK for the space.