pixeltracker

What Broadway "flop" would you like to see revived?- Page 4

What Broadway "flop" would you like to see revived?

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#75What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 2:09am

GavestonPS says, "I recall CARMELINA having some book problems late in Act II, but, Lord, what a score!"

Gaveston, is that the one that starred opera singer Cesare Siepi and adapted the 1960's comedy film "Buona Sera Mrs. Campbell" into a musical? If so, I absolutely agree that this was an underappreciated gem. As some of the younger readers may not know, BSMC was the basis for "Mamma Mia."

Audrey (who saw "Carmelina," if I'm remembering the name correctly, in previews at the Kennedy Center as an adult before many of the folks on this board were born)

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

mostly_musicals
#76What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 3:20am

This is all i know CARMELINA from, it doesn't exactly make me wish for a revival, but it is a lot of fun: Molly Pope - "I’m A Woman" (CARMELINA)
Updated On: 8/1/16 at 03:20 AM

mostly_musicals
#77What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 3:26am

in case the video didn't properly attach...

Molly Pope - "I’m A Woman" (CARMELINA): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEZtX0HskpY

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#78What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 3:44am

pretty sure Company and ITW didn't recoup...I thought Forum was his only show to do that?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

10086sunset
#79What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 7:59am

AnnieBlack said: "I know there is no real affection for 'The Capeman', but having seen it 3 times on Broadway, I think it an incredible score & story (and the Public Theatre / Central Park version was horrible, so go back to the broadway version and see what can be done)

"

Would love to see The Capeman have another real chance. The music is incredible. 

Kate Monster3
#80What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 9:35am

I would LOVE to see  Wonderland brought back.  I thought the music was actually really good.

Liza's Headband
#81What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 10:11am

QueenAlice said: "Okay, I'm with most of these choices, but reality check -- some shows, like PARADE only played on Broadway under a not-for profit umbrella, and others GRAND HOTEL, which played over 1,000 performances don't really qualify as "flops" -- under rated, or ripe for revival: yes; but not flops..."

Okay.... so did GRAND HOTEL recoup? Did those other 1,000+ performance productions recoup? If not, they are flops by industry standards. It's not a difficult concept to grasp. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#82What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 10:27am

Did "Got Tu Go Disco" recoup? I need to know before mentioning it in this thread lest I be torn a new asshole by the self proclaimed BWW hall monitors. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#83What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 10:36am

I saw it and it folded quickly and mercifully. In no way did it recoup.

Poster Emeritus

CarlosAlberto
#84What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 10:39am

Mr Roxy said: "I saw it and it folded quickly and mercifully. In no way did it recoup.

I was only joking, but now that I know you've seen it, how was Irene Cara as "Cassette"? 

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#85What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:59pm

Parade 

The Secret Garden

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Taboo

Caroline, or Change

Bonnie & Clyde

I have seen Chess 3 times with 3 entirely different books.  I would like to see the one CCM did, not sure if it had any resemblance to either the London or Broadway books.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#86What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 1:05pm

It seems like a million years ago. Everyone was competent. The show was so bad it has been mercifully blocked from my memory.

Poster Emeritus

Cesare2
#87What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 1:30pm

I agree about CARMELINA.  I've got a sound board recording of one of the performances (don't know where or when it was done.  On the recording the show opens with Marc Jordan introducing the town of San Forino --"This is a town of simple, loving people, being among the simplest is the mayor." -- and then segues into Siepi singing IT'S TIME FOR A LOVE SONG."  Best song in the score is probably ONE MORE WALK AROUND THE GARDEN.  My favorite song in the score, though, is SOMEONE IN APRIL (which should have been the show's title, since the title THE DAUGHTER OF THE REGIMENT has already been taken.)  Great storytelling in that song with a really beautiful melody. {"All alone, just sixteen, the type that De Sica has in every scene."What Broadway

Stupifer
#88What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 1:33pm

Would love to see a return of my guilty pleasure [title of show] with the original cast.

Would also love to see Story of My Life get a second chance but it would  probably be a better fit at a more intimate venue off Broadway.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#89What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 1:36pm

I saw Carmelina and thought it died a premature death. This should be on Encores radar.

Poster Emeritus

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#90What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 2:16pm

Yes GRAND HOTEL recouped. 

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/03/theater/on-stage-and-off.html

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#91What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 2:23pm

I love the score to Legs Diamond and have always believed with some work done to the plot and script, and leading man who can pull off straight more convincingly than Peter Allen, this show could be a lot of fun.

CarlosAlberto
#92What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 2:42pm

Mr Roxy said: "I saw Carmelina and thought it died a premature death. This should be on Encores radar.

I agree. I have the cast album recorded with Georgia Brown, Paul Sorvino. It was recorded about 2 years after the show closed and it is a very, very nice score. The film it's based on: "Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell" was always a favorite at my house when I was a kid. Still love it to this day. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#93What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 3:05pm

I saw Legs Diamond and nothing could have saved it. It was fun watching Allen in the show. Julie Wilson shined as well. Found the score OK. Other than the opening and 2 or 3 other numbers I was let down by it. The opening in the show was changed for the recording.

Poster Emeritus

CarlosAlberto
#94What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 3:28pm

I remember walking on my way to school and passing the Mark Hellinger and seeing the marquee for LEGS DIAMOND. 

A Doll's Life also played that theater and so did Grind!

Damn, come to think of it that theater housed so many flops in the 1980s. When I started going to school in the area SUGAR BABIES was winding down it's successful run, after that everything that followed it at the Hellinger bombed. 

Updated On: 8/1/16 at 03:28 PM

Hank
#95What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 5:23pm

Taboo.  They never gave it chance.  Trashed in the NY Post, and maybe the public just wasn't ready for "I'll Have Them All".  I could kick myself for never having seen it, and I would love to get another chance either on Broadway (Roundabout?) or elsewhere.

CarlosAlberto
#96What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 5:59pm

I dare someone try and re-mount DUDE or VIA, GALACTICA. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#97What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 6:10pm

Saw Via but somehow missed Dude. Have a CD of some instrumentals and a demo of Via. I also have 2 CD's of music from Dude.The problem with both was not the music.Both shows are  unproduceable except via the concert route. It would be a rip for either a concert version or encores production of Rockabye Hamlet. Saw the original and it was a f****** trip.

Poster Emeritus

CarlosAlberto
#98What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 6:12pm

Okay Mr Roxy your coolness factor with me just went up by a 1,000 points. You got to see a lot of interesting shows. I would love to bend your ear regarding your views. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#99What Broadway
Posted: 8/1/16 at 6:22pm

You would not believe the dogs I have seen. One gem was a "comedy" with Robert Preston with the title, I kid you not, "Never Live Over  Pretzel Factory"  

Another was"We Interrupt This Program" In that gem, actors played terrorists taking over the theater and holding the audience hostage. The audience members were screaming for a release from the unrelenting badness perpetrated at the Ambassador.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 8/1/16 at 06:22 PM

Videos