News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for QueenAlice

QueenAlice Profile Photo
Member Name: QueenAlice
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: British Lass Abroad: From Lambeth to NYC and Beyond!

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
 Jun 15 2024, 12:25:19 PM

As someone who saw and loved the original production, I have to say the look of this revival is really underwhelming comparatively.  The original was probably the pinnacle of 80s musical theatre excess and the designs of the sets and costumes were absolutely extraordinary and overwhelming spectacle. This sort of looks like they threw some ramps through the flex seating at the Playstation Theatre. I don't even recognize most of the songs in the mega mix. I wish ALW hadn't fel

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadway
 Jun 13 2024, 01:09:40 PM

Certainly this production can't be compared to other, more traditional stagings. If you are looking to be 'surprised' by the directorial take on the material, this may indeed be the incarnation for you.

Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 12 2024, 02:13:02 PM

I suspect that in addition to its expected straight play categoriy wins, STEREOPHONIC has a more than good shot at winning score, so from that perspective it makes sense to have it perform.

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jun 11 2024, 07:36:11 PM

The casting notice expressly says they are looking to cast Herbie with a Caucasian actor. 

Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
 Jun 10 2024, 05:41:34 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Looking at the digital program for the show --

Robert Cary & Jonathan Tolins have adapted the book for this production. How does it compare to previous versions?Have they made any changes, textually or subtextually, related to Conrad's race? (this being smalltown America in the 50s...)

I think I caught a change of Kim's age in one of the song previews (21, instead of 15, which is smart and necessary).

Also looks like they do not include any of the "optional" licensed songs (the title song from the movie, Let's Settle Down, and A Mother Doesn't Matter Any More).
"

Changing Kim’s age to 21 from 15 or 16  is ridiculous and would completely change the show. It’s about “kids.”  Please tell me they haven’t tried to make this very 50s show woke.

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 May 30 2024, 10:45:20 AM

I don't think it matters what the race was of the original Rose or Gypsy Rose Lee. I also think the script makes it clear that its a 'fable' and not a historically accurate portrait. I can understand those who question how they can play the script 'as written' if the creatives are interested in making Rose and Louise's unique experience as black women a central part of the narrative.  I suspect George Wolfe is too smart for that and will let whatever interesting s

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
 May 29 2024, 06:34:14 PM

Audra already has six Tony Awards and though I’m excited to see her do GYPSY, I also think there will be those who (like Bernadette) think she is miscast. I don’t think she is a slam dunk Tony winner for this. 

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
 May 22 2024, 08:40:30 AM

Jamie Lloyd’s version is magnificent. And Sarah used to belt. Look up her filmed performance of Song and Dance on YouTube. 

Michael R. Jackson & Anna K. Jacobs' TEETH Musical at Playwrights Horizons (Winter 2024)
 May 16 2024, 11:31:00 AM

chrishuyen said: "I'm curious if they'll continue working on the show (which certainly received mixed reviews). I'm sure they'll have the usual preview period followed by an opening, but if they don't get the responses they want at that point would they continue to make tweaks throughout the run?"

Are you asking if the show will open at New World with no changes from what was seen at Playwrights Horizons?  Highly unlikely 

May 14 2024, 05:37:10 PM

What the hell does Gypsy have to do with New Orleans?

May 14 2024, 04:38:36 PM

Broadway Flash said: "Audra wants a new book adaptation. The estatewill allow it $$$"

Yes = paid for by all the $$$ made by OHIO STATE MURDERS

The first look inside "Cats: The Jellicle Ball" & exclusive photo
 May 14 2024, 04:23:20 PM

This will either be brilliant or a complete disaster.

May 14 2024, 03:15:28 PM

There is zero chance the Arthur Laurents estate is going to allow his script of GYPSY - considered one of  - if not THE greatest book of an American musical to be re-written

Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
 May 14 2024, 01:36:02 PM

What are you talking about? This is how all movies are made. They are filmed in a way that concentrates the use of actors so they can film their scenes in the least amount of time possible. It completely makes sense to film the musical numbers first - it has nothing to do with Lopez being demanding 

Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
 May 14 2024, 09:50:17 AM

Its also possible that her scenes were filmed first. There is a lot of material her character is not in.

Taylor Swift Musical?
 May 14 2024, 09:48:43 AM

Of course she has been approached about her catalog being the basis for a jukebox musical and her response through her management has been that she is not interested in a jukebox musical but does have interest in (someday) writing an original score for a Broadway show.

Rumors about Guys and Dolls London transfer to Broadway?
 May 13 2024, 09:25:07 AM

"Immersive theatre" is usually "environmental" but "environmental theatre" isn't always "immersive." And it seems, honestly that the words are used rather interchangeably.

I personally would call Cabaret, Guys and Dolls, and Here Lies Love chiefly "environmental productions."  Meaning the traditional proscenium divide is eschewed for a playing space that puts the audience in "the world" or "environment"

STEREOPHONIC Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 May 13 2024, 09:06:58 AM

Has Will Butler talked at all about his process creating the songs for the show? I'd love to read any interview that people are aware of. I would 'guess' that he wrote the songs in their entirety first and they selected the desired building block pieces of each  to show the evolution of the songs as is relative to the script, but of course I could be completely wrong. 

STEREOPHONIC Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 May 13 2024, 09:03:13 AM

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I seem to remember we also hear quite a bit of "Drive" in the play.

If Stereophonic didn’t transfer…
 May 8 2024, 12:27:26 PM

I'm surprised but Appropriate seems to have lost a little steam with its transfer to the Belasco. I'd be surprised if it upset director, but I suppose anything could happen.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You