News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for QueenAlice

QueenAlice Profile Photo
Member Name: QueenAlice
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: British Lass Abroad: From Lambeth to NYC and Beyond!

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

If Stereophonic didn’t transfer…  May 8 2024, 12:27:26 PM

I'm surprised but Appropriate seems to have lost a little steam with its transfer to the Belasco. I'd be surprised if it upset director, but I suppose anything could happen.

Update on the Times Square Theatre  May 8 2024, 12:13:53 PM

And I'd love more information on the supposed zoning laws that would prevent the space from being used as a theatre (for film or theatre). Somone has cited loading dock issues taking up space on 42nd Street, but honestly, daily shipments of merchandise to sell in multiple stores would be more of an ongoing problem than loading in a set. Move CHICAGO there.

Update on the Times Square Theatre  May 8 2024, 11:56:35 AM

There is a ton of empty real estate on 42nd Street. It’s a kind of terrible idea to develop the old Times Square Theatre as a shopping center. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/24  May 7 2024, 03:37:19 PM

The ticket prices for Cabaret are so extreme, word of mouth has to be a lot stronger than 'recommending' it for it to be an incentive for most people to purchase.

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions  May 6 2024, 05:40:25 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "theatreguy said: "The 5-person jury only selects the 3 finalists and submits them to the Pulitzer Board. The Board then has a discussion on the finalists which is followed by a vote to decide the winner."

In that case I am surprised theStereophonicandThe Comeuppancewere not the two other finalists. Maybe the voters wanted to, to some extent, make the Pulitzer Prize for Drama this year not just another the

LEMPICKA closing May 19  May 3 2024, 12:46:18 PM

The original production of 42nd Street ran 3,486 performances.  Perhaps you mean the revival?

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  Apr 29 2024, 04:42:00 PM

There is not 'hate' for this show; only apparent lack of audience interest. The producers will likely want to keep it running as long as is contracted to grant them a percentage of future licensing rights, as the show could be popular on the regional / amateur circuit.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 29 2024, 04:30:50 PM

CHICAGO has been able to run for decades because of its unusually low weekly running costs. CABARET has one of the highest weekly running costs in Broaday history.  You can not compare them. 

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 29 2024, 03:48:47 PM

Of course, the producers' plan is to run as long as possible, but they also were likely expecting reviews to match the raves received in London.  The show is unbelievably expensive to run. They will have to get replacements who can sell out the show at an average $400 ticket price. The Sam Mendes production had no trouble finding replacements because the revival was so critically lauded and won Tony Awards for the creators of the roles.  I think they are going to have some issue

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 11:25:16 AM

I appreciate that so many here are speaking from the heart of artists and academics, but truly - credit must be given where credit is due -- an if you think like a producer, you can see the greatness about what they have done here. The people behind this show have taken a public domain novel everyone reads (but most don't really remember) and have fixated on the two things the story conjures in most people's minds: the time period and the opulence. They have leaned into that, pla

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 10:54:40 AM

And a reminder that this is also largely how the French feel about the musical adaptation of Les Miserables. 

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 10:34:03 AM

I'm less and less clear what reviews serve except as a sort of insight in the psyche of the reviewer.  I think the reviews in many instances this season have been kind - overly kind - which does seem to consider a sort of concern about potential public optics. 

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 09:17:14 AM

dramamama611 said: "This is out of 5:

Days of Wine & Roses 4.6
Hell’s Kitchen 4.5
Here Lies Love 4.3
Water for Elephants 4.1
Suffs 4.1
How to Dance in Ohio 4
Heart of Rock & Roll 3.9
The Outsiders 3.4
The Notebook 3.2
Harmony 3.2
Once Upon a One More Time 3
Back to the Future 2.6
Lempicka 2.6
The Great Gatsby 2.6

My numbers could be off. Most of the time I didn't round up the deci

MOTHER PLAY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 25 2024, 10:57:11 PM

Paulson also played Laura to Jessica's Amanda in THE GLASS MENAGERIE (a role Celia has also done) and which MOTHER PLAY feels rather derivative of.

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 03:48:25 PM

Evita on Broadway did not get steller reviews but it caught on immediately with the public's fascination (fueled partly by its evocative televsion commercial).  Evita's Broaday trajectory has more in common with something like Wicked then Lempicka, which has not caught on with audiences.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/14/24  Apr 16 2024, 03:44:33 PM

A reminder that most of these grosses for the new shows reflect press comps.

John Napier's Brilliant Set Designs for the original SUNSET BOULEVARD  Apr 16 2024, 11:20:03 AM

Honestly, I'm of mixed mind about Napier's original SUNSET set. To be sure it was a technical marvel, but it was also cumbersome, always breaking down, and outside of its impressive photo realism, not always theatrically creative.  It isn't the brilliant piece of ingenius stage design that I think, for example, Maria Bjornson's set for PHANTOM was.  I also think the scenery created an expectation for the piece that has followed it until Jamie Lloyd's interpretati

Debating between Gatsby and Outsiders  Apr 12 2024, 04:17:33 PM

Gatsby is a lot more fun.

Cabaret stunt casting  Apr 12 2024, 02:02:30 PM

To be clear: there is a difference between star casting and stunt casting. Stunt casting infers a celebrity whose only qualification for playing the role is their name. That infers they don't have the recognized talent to play the role they are cast in.

Cabaret stunt casting  Apr 12 2024, 09:36:47 AM

I came here to read stunt casting ideas and I don't recognize most of the names suggested. You guys better find some names that people my age who can actually afford tickets want to see.  How about Lindsay Lohan as Sally?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You