pixeltracker

Annamary Dickey "The King and I"

Annamary Dickey "The King and I"

mattmarkowski99 Profile Photo
mattmarkowski99
#1Annamary Dickey "The King and I"
Posted: 9/6/16 at 12:48am

I'm a huge "King and I" fan, and I was just wondering if people knew any information about Annamary Dickey who played Anna for a brief period during the original production. I've been searching the web, but it doesn't seem like she ever was given an official listing in a playbill. Does anyone know any further information about this? Thanks.

Queen of the Night
#2Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/6/16 at 12:12pm

Annamary Dickey was a soprano who sang opera for a while. She sang minor roles at the Metropolitan Opera from 1939-1944.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/6/16 at 12:19pm

Annamary Dickey

BrodyFosse123
#4Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/6/16 at 12:20pm

Annamary Dickey

BrodyFosse123
#5Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/6/16 at 12:21pm

Annamary Dickey

BrodyFosse123
#6Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/6/16 at 12:22pm

Annamary Dickey

mattmarkowski99 Profile Photo
mattmarkowski99
#7Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/6/16 at 12:47pm

Those are great pictures, but I believe that playbill is for Gertrude Lawrence. I could be wrong though.

BrodyFosse123
#8Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/6/16 at 1:05pm

Yes, that is indeed the original Playbill cover with Gertrude Lawrence.  Annamary Dickey is not listed in the Playbill whatsoever and Constance Carpenter was the Anna understudy.  Celeste Holm filled-in when Gertrude Lawrence went on vacation so don't know when Ms. Dickey played the role.  

By the way, the King opposite Ms. Dickey in the first photo is Alfred Drake who filled in for Yul Brynner when he went on vacation.

Updated On: 9/6/16 at 01:05 PM

daredevil
#9Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/6/16 at 1:26pm

I did not see Ms. Dickey but I did see Constance Carpenter on a Saturday afternoon in December of 1951, when Ms. Lawrence was ill. This was the first time I had seen an understudy in a major role, and I remember rooting for her. She was very strong, and Brynner worked very beautifully against her. The musical, then, seemed very much Anna's story---I know at times it can seem like the King's, but not at that point. When Ms. Lawrence left the cast, shortly before her untimely death, Ms. Carpenter took over and played the role for a long time Annemarie Dickey did replace her at some point in the run, I remember seeing her name in the adds. 

Those pictures above do not look like Drake (I may be wrong) but he did replace Brynner for a while. Ironically, legend has it that he was originally offered the role of the King but turned it down because it only had one song.

wonkit
#10Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/7/16 at 7:33am

No way that first photo is Alfred Drake!

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#11Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/7/16 at 7:49am

wonkit said: "No way that first photo is Alfred Drake!"

I think it's Alfed Drake's accountant.

BrodyFosse123
#12Annamary Dickey
Posted: 9/7/16 at 10:25am

Annamary Dickey