James Franco's King Cobra

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#1James Franco's King Cobra
Posted: 9/29/16 at 2:16pm

Is this the new Showgirls? I sure hope so!  I followed the original story, and found it fascinating, but this looks like high camp (not that I'm complaining).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi1dHvmT6C4

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#2James Franco's King Cobra
Posted: 9/29/16 at 11:17pm

I just got back from a screening. It’s fun but it feels like three different films.

James Franco and Keegan Allen are in Showgirls. All mugging, horror and sleaze.

Garrett Clayton’s in an arch coming of age comedy. Moving from eager Peggy Sawyer to manipulative Eve Harrington.

Christian Slater carries the film and elevates the story to Greek Tragedy. He brings fierce intelligence and self awareness to a character that could have been a sad old fool. You get the sense that he’s weighed his options, made his choices, and decided he could handle any consequences. The women have little to do but Molly Ringwald gets a nice scene with Slater where he matter-of-factly defends his career and his life.

The film’s not as sexy as the setting would suggest. It's not all gloom and finger wagging, like the Kinsey movie was, either. Garret gets his freak on convincingly but the camera tends to stay above the waist. Franco does as well but, no surprise, he's trying a little too hard to shock.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 9/29/16 at 11:17 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3James Franco's King Cobra
Posted: 9/29/16 at 11:26pm

Is this the kind of film that could get Christian Slater back on the A-list?

hork Profile Photo
hork
#4James Franco's King Cobra
Posted: 9/29/16 at 11:33pm

I'm looking forward to this. I wanted to see it at Outfest but it was sold out.

But can we not call it "James Franco's" King Cobra? He didn't write or direct it (thank the gods).

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#5James Franco's King Cobra
Posted: 9/30/16 at 7:17am

Think I'll wait for the inevitable "below the waist" director's cut.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#6James Franco's King Cobra
Posted: 9/30/16 at 9:00am

Jordan Catalano I doubt it. The film may not make much impression after the festival circuit. The story is too slight for general audiences. There's not enough sex appeal or camp for it to become a cult classic. 

Slater is the highlight but the film isn't really about him. Mr. Robot is doing far more for his career.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 9/30/16 at 09:00 AM