pixeltracker

I Can Get it for You Wholesale "Show Doctor"

I Can Get it for You Wholesale "Show Doctor"

Wickedmonkey332 Profile Photo
Wickedmonkey332
#1I Can Get it for You Wholesale "Show Doctor"
Posted: 10/18/16 at 6:16pm

Does anyone happen to know who the uncredited "show doctor" for the original production was? I believe they were paid quite a sum to fix the show. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2I Can Get it for You Wholesale
Posted: 10/18/16 at 7:53pm

Marty Erlichman

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#3I Can Get it for You Wholesale
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:47pm

What do folks think is the purpose of this reading? That's quite a cast they've gathered.  I can't see it garnering interest for a revival but a concert could be fun. 

http://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-stars-tapped-for-industry-reading-of-i-can-get-it-for-you-wholesale

Director Trip Cullman, who is currently represented on Broadway with the Tony-nominated revival of John Guare’s Six Degrees of Separation, is set to helm an industry-only staged reading of the 1962 musical I Can Get It For You Wholesale with a number of Broadway actors. The private event, presented by Jeff Richards, Will Trice, and HB Productions, will take place June 6.

The cast includes Katie Rose ClarkeNick Cordero, Alex Dreier, Christopher FitzgeraldSantino Fontana, Adam Grupper, Rebecca Naomi JonesBeth LeavelCaissie LevyLindsay Mendez, Matthew Risch, Steve Rosen, Stephanie Rothenberg, Luke Smith, and Kevin Worley.

In Harold Rome and Jerome Weidman’s I Can Get It For You Wholesale, an ambitious owner of a dress-making business finds himself in conflict with his mother, girlfriend, friends, and associates on his rise to the top. The staged reading, which features a revised book by the late Weidman, will have music direction by David Chase.

I Can Get It For You Wholesale debuted on Broadway in March 1962 featuring Barbra Streisand in her Broadway debut. Visit the Playbill Vault page for the musical for more information.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4I Can Get it for You Wholesale
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:50pm

Cullman is a very odd choice for this.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

daredevil
#5I Can Get it for You Wholesale
Posted: 6/5/17 at 4:39pm

I saw the original in 1962, actually twice, once right after it opened, and then a year later on tour with Larry Kert taking Elliot Gould's role. (He was very good). The central character is Harry Bogen, an ambitious young Jewish man. After him, it is an ensemble piece, with about eight character who circle around him.  It is a strange piece; Harry is heartless in his attempt to make money---he will shoot down anyone in his way. Two years later, What Makes Sammy Run opened on Broadway, another play taking to task the overly ambitious Jewish protagonist. The musicals are very much of their time--- in my opinion more suited to Encores where they could be explored,rather than a new production. 

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this evolves.

I

evic
#6I Can Get it for You Wholesale
Posted: 6/5/17 at 4:58pm

A 60 year old dinosaur that is only known for one show stopping number that out Barbra on the map. Why are they bothering?

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#7I Can Get it for You Wholesale
Posted: 6/5/17 at 7:35pm

Why are they bothering? Because it's a darn good show with a terrific score and solid books. But I guess that rules it out in the world of Disney and SpongeBob and jukebox dreck. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#8I Can Get it for You Wholesale
Posted: 6/5/17 at 7:59pm

My late Grandfather was one of the original leads on Broadway, so it's really nice to see this return.  I've never had the opportunity to see a production, but the score is lovely.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#9I Can Get it for You Wholesale
Posted: 6/7/17 at 8:20am

Did anyone here attend last night's industry reading of Wholesale? If so, are you free to share your thoughts on the casting?

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com