Shug Avery Understudy

TheAngriestInch
#1Shug Avery Understudy
Posted: 11/2/16 at 11:35pm

I'm debating getting a ticket to see the Color Purple this December. The two possible times I can go are Saturday 12/17 at 2 PM or Monday 12/19 at 7 PM. Jennifer Holliday is slotted to perform at the Saturday matinee, but will be out for the Monday show. I've read pretty mixed reviews of Jennifer's performance as Shug, so my question is: for those who have seen the Shug understudy (Rema Webb I believe), how is her performance? For those who have seen both, is Webb's Shug strong enough to justify attending the Monday show instead of going Saturday for the novelty of seeing Holliday? [Perhaps it's important to note: I know very little about the show, and this will be my first and only time seeing it.] Thanks in advance!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#2Shug Avery Understudy
Posted: 11/3/16 at 3:38am

I have heard that Rema's Shug is the only one to even come close to Heather's. I think Rema is a wonderful talent and really deserves more recognition. 

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#3Shug Avery Understudy
Posted: 11/3/16 at 8:58am

Rema is incredible in the role, I wouldn't be disappointed to see her. Karla Stewart also understudies the role, however, so unclear who is the first cover.

LarryD2
#4Shug Avery Understudy
Posted: 11/3/16 at 9:30am

Rema is first cover and, to my knowledge, the only person other than the three stars who's gone on for Shug in this production.

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#5Shug Avery Understudy
Posted: 11/3/16 at 9:43am

^I actually also saw Karla Stewart in the role, so not sure how many other times she's gone on.

LarryD2
#6Shug Avery Understudy
Posted: 11/3/16 at 9:45am

Oh, I wasn't aware Karla had gone on yet. How was she?

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#7Shug Avery Understudy
Posted: 11/3/16 at 9:58am

https://instagram.com/p/BJRgeyShEsN/

I think I saw her first time going on, so it wasn't as polished as Heather's or Rema's, but she is very talented. Her Sophia is one of the best things I've seen on stage.

Videos