Twin Peaks

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#50Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/25/17 at 4:07pm

Luscious said: "Loving every minute of the show! And love how it's all coming together and all roads are leading back to Twin Peaks.

Question... I haven't read through the entire thread, but is it the general consensus that Audrey is in a coma and that what we're seeing is what she's dreaming? Because that's what I think. She's obviously trapped in that house she can't seem to leave, much in the same way that a comatose person is trapped in their body. But she's getting closer to the door. I think Cooper (once he's Coop again) will play a big part in her waking from the coma. Thoughts?
"

This is the most popular fan theory.

Consistency
#51Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/27/17 at 10:30pm

I went through Lynch's complete filmography a few years ago and discovered that I have mixed feelings about his work. His best work - "Blue Velvet," "Mulholland Drive," and the original Twin Peaks + FWWM - is incredible, but the rest varies from "good" to "kind of awful," in my opinion. 

With that said, I finally caught up on the new series (including tonight's masterful episode), and I now feel confident in declaring this season one of the two or three best things he's ever done. It's at once familiar and strange, and possibly the weirdest, most avant-garde thing ever made for television (though don't quote me on that - I'm admittedly a lot more knowledgeable about film than TV.) 

It's alternately - and sometimes simultaneously - bizarre, terrifying, hilarious, and moving. That weird tonal mishmash has always been an element of Lynch's work, but I've rarely seen it executed so well as here. I'm amazed by his ability to create a mood of pure nightmarish horror in just a few minutes of screen time - and then leave me busting a gut in the very next scene. 

It's not the Twin Peaks of the early 90s, and it never could be - but for me it's doing everything I could have hoped for, and more. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#52Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/28/17 at 1:46am

The only David Lynch movies I'm not crazy about are Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart (though I can find things to admire in both ... Sherilyn Fenn's scene in Wild at Heart still haunts me). Everything else, for me, ranges from good to brilliant.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#53Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/28/17 at 1:50am

Tonight's episode was one of the best ones. So many exciting, long-awaited things happened in both it and Game of Thrones that I'm still feeling wired.

TotallyEffed
#54Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/28/17 at 9:49am

This season is an absolute masterpiece.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#55Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/28/17 at 10:47am

What a fantastic episode. Audrey's dance was everything.

I feel like this season of Twin Peaks is Lynch's masterpiece. It's a shame more people aren't watching. Unfortunately I do not think we will see a season 4. And with only two episodes left that makes me sad. I hope this show is remembered during awards season. There's so many fantastic performances.

I never thought I would be such a fan of the Mitchum Brothers!

hork Profile Photo
hork
#56Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/28/17 at 11:24am

I love the Mitchum Brothers, and the girls.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#57Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/28/17 at 2:20pm

Finger sandwiches!

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#58Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/31/17 at 4:01pm

hork hocked up: "I'm pretty much hate watching it at this point. I can't quit now but it's a really terrible show, the worst thing Lynch has ever done, by far."

Could somebody please give this tulpa with shih-tay taste the coordinates to go stand up on that rock after dark and be electrocuted into another dimension?  Worst thing!  WHAT A MAROOOOOOOOOON.

Oh, segne deine Herzen

hork Profile Photo
hork
#59Twin Peaks
Posted: 8/31/17 at 9:13pm

What do you want me to say, Frankie? The show is garbage with occasional nuggets of gold. Why does this threaten you?

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#60Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/1/17 at 2:24am

There is absolutely nothing threatening about your inconsistency and the terrible taste you reveal in your commentary on this masterpiece, this "garbage" you "hate watch." What it is, is annoying. It's annoying in the way it's annoying encountering the opinions of a shallow thinker confronted with an artist's crowing achievement. 

Oh, segne deine Herzen

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#61Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/1/17 at 8:45am

It's probably the most critically acclaimed show of the year. So to call it garbage is a little ridiculous. It's definitely not for everyone though.

While you were watching summer’s biggest TV show, you missed summer’s best TV show

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/while-you-were-watching-summers-biggest-tv-show-you-missed-summers-best-tv-show/2017/08/29/6a316098-8c50-11e7-8df5-c2e5cf46c1e2_story.html?utm_term=.15f70a27ff81#comments

Updated On: 9/1/17 at 08:45 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#62Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/1/17 at 9:26pm

Sorry if my opinion annoys you, Frankie, but surely that's your problem, not mine? But for the record, Mulholland Dr. is his crowning achievement.

Why is there always some tool who can't handle any opinions that are different from his own? It's always guys, too. Women don't have this problem.

Erik - Why are you always using professional reviews to try to validate your own opinion? What's that about? Man up, own your own opinion and don't worry about anyone else's. I know garbage when I see it, and Twin Peaks Season 3 is mostly garbage, regardless of what anyone says. What does it matter to me if it's critically acclaimed? So was Mad Men, and I freakin' hated Mad Men

TotallyEffed
#63Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/2/17 at 2:44am

The Return has been nothing short of astounding. It's a true masterpiece that will go down in history as one of the most important moments of television ever.

I'm not sure how someone, especially someone who knows Lynch's previous works, could call it garbage. And if they really thought it was garbage I'm confused about why they'd watch 18 hours of it. To quote Gordon, "WHAT?"

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#64Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/2/17 at 9:37am

"Erik - Why are you always using professional reviews to try to validate your own opinion? What's that about? Man up, own your own opinion and don't worry about anyone else's. I know garbage when I see it, and Twin Peaks Season 3 is mostly garbage, regardless of what anyone says. What does it matter to me if it's critically acclaimed? So was Mad Men, and I freakin' hated Mad Men."

LOL. I'm not always using professional reviews to validate my opinion. I'm just saying calling it. garbage lies outiside the concensus. I also recognized the show isn't for everyone. I wasn't trying to be confrontational but clearly you are very sensitive!

I have no doubt this will be seen as Lynch's crowning achievement. It's 18 hours of pure, unfiltered Lynch. Everything he's been working towards his entire career. Enjoy the finale!

hork Profile Photo
hork
#65Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/2/17 at 11:54am

Totally Effed - It's precisely because I'm familiar with Lynch's work that I call it garbage. I know he can do so much better. If you're confused by my opinion, I'm doubly confused by yours. A true masterpiece? That's just unfathomable to me.

Erik - Inland Empire is pure, unfiltered Lynch. Twin Peaks is Lynch filtered with Frost filtered with fan expectations. It's a slapdash mess and a huge middle finger to the audience.

TotallyEffed
#66Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/3/17 at 11:18pm

What year is it?

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#67Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/5/17 at 12:38am

Sheer genius.   Hork, my log has a message for you:  "Your hot (****e) take is well and duly noted: A variation on some sort of parental, 'We expect more of you because we know you are capable of so much more.' You stick to your guns if you are so determined, or sit with the entire series for a while and use some of your brain matter and perhaps realize that your premature pronouncements about a show that hadn't concluded yet were just that. Premature. Good night, hork."

Oh, segne deine Herzen

hork Profile Photo
hork
#68Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/5/17 at 1:04am

Just go away, you psychopath. Why are you even a thing?

But since you bring it up, my pronouncements stand. That was 18 hours of my life I'll never get back, and I can't believe there are people who are still trying to justify this travesty. I mean, Jesus Christ, that was worse than Lost.

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#69Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/5/17 at 2:05am

"Just go away, you psychopath. Why are you even a thing?"

Wait.  Are you for real?

Why don't you do some ancillary reading? Acquaint yourself (or reacquaint yourself) with Carl Jung. Start with Wikipedia.  Do you have that where you are?

There are a LOT of people who absolutely can not connect with abstract expression or surrealism.  But more's the pity for you who declared it garbage half way through and continues to watch it in order to complain about losing the time you spent watching it.

Feel sad for ya really.  Nobody will hold it against you if you get it together and think in a less shallow way about that masterpiece and rethink your reactionary posts about it.

"Just go away, you psychopath. Why are you even a thing?"  JFC

Oh, segne deine Herzen

hork Profile Photo
hork
#70Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/5/17 at 3:22am

Wow, it's really eating you that I won't drink the Kool-Aid, isn't it? This is fun. I love running into pretentious pedants who are so insecure about their own self-worth that they have to talk down to those who disagree with them, while never actually saying anything intelligent to back up their puerile bawling. But go ahead, enlighten me. Stop speaking in vague, sophomoric generalizations and explain to me why this terrible sh!t show is so profoundly deep and artistic and masterful. I'm listening. In any case, don't feel sad for me. I have the rest of Lynch's canon (you know, the good stuff) to enjoy.

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#71Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/5/17 at 11:51am

hork, I won't be investing the time it would take to do that, since you appear to be as coiled as a rattlesnake waiting to strike.  Perhaps you will re-think the stance you claimed before the show was even over or sometime in the future your tastes might change or your palette will mature. Or not. It makes no never mind.

Who knows, maybe you'll only get to the point of realizing that you can either continue to watch something for hours after declaring it horrible OR you can complain about the time it took to watch that you'll never get back?  But you can't do both.

Also, as to your understanding of gender, I highly recommend another look (or a first look if it's new to you) at Terrence McNally's 1987 play, Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune.

Oh, segne deine Herzen

hork Profile Photo
hork
#72Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/5/17 at 12:00pm

Yeah, that's what I thought. You've got nothing.

Well, this has been a fun stroll through trollville, but I'm moving on to have conversations with grown-ups.

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#73Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/5/17 at 12:19pm

Grown ups don't sit back and say "convince me," children do.

Oh, segne deine Herzen

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#74Twin Peaks
Posted: 9/5/17 at 1:42pm

Sorry hork, your taste is all in your mouth. Of course, that's just my opinion of your opinion. And you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I just don't understand, like others here, why someone who deemed the series garbage early on would continue to watch and then complain about the 18 hours of their life they'll never get back. That's just asinine. But then again, I never understood "hate watching". I barely have the time to watch all the shows that I admire and enjoy, let alone the ones I don't. In my humble opinion, TP The Return was genius from beginning to end. Outstanding, groundbreaking television, much in the same way the original series was back in 1990-91. I doubt Lynch will sign on for another season, but I'm hoping for at least a 2-hour movie to tie up some loose ends. Although, with Lynch, I never expect everything to be resolved or every question answered. I love the ambiguous nature of his work.