pixeltracker

Groundhog Day halted last night - Page 2

Groundhog Day halted last night

greenifyme2
#25Groundhog Day halted last night
Posted: 6/28/17 at 3:38pm

Gosh, when I went to Spiderman I held my breath the entire show. It was enjoyable, but I was afraid for them.

Maybe GHD is the safer version of the most technically complex show? ha.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#26Groundhog Day halted last night
Posted: 6/29/17 at 1:06pm

10086Sundays said: "I think Directing/Matthew Warchus was the only category where I really felt GHD had a chance. I haven't seen CFA, but from the clips I can why it won. Still, Mr. Warchus having to work out the staging to be beautiful and work with the demands of the turntables was equally impressive.  What he did with Phil and Ned's blocking is gorgeous."

The "Night Will Come" scene is where GHD suddenly hits you in the gut, and it comes out of nowhere. It was brilliantly realized.

CFA has no set or effects to speak of, but the director did a phenomenal job keeping each member of the small ensemble clearly identified as a variety of characters with next-to-no costume changes.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#27Groundhog Day halted last night
Posted: 6/29/17 at 1:24pm

Agreed. I think the set is super complex, but on just a basic design level, it's nothing outstanding. But what it does, yeah, sure. But we've seen turntables within turntables before. However, what Warchus manages to do with it is pretty incredible. 

AEA AGMA SM
#28Groundhog Day halted last night
Posted: 6/29/17 at 3:12pm

Clearly Marc Platt is behind this, paying off the crew to ensure that Groundhog Day will never be able to run smoothly and not take away attention from his son's performance.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#29Groundhog Day halted last night
Posted: 6/29/17 at 4:34pm

CFA has no set or effects to speak of, but the director did a phenomenal job keeping each member of the small ensemble clearly identified as a variety of characters with next-to-no costume changes.

Except the costume design is pretty integral to that.  Each character has a signifier costume piece (ie. Colella's vest or pilot jacket)

And a turntable is a pretty MAJOR "effect".  (However unnecessary it was for this production.)

10086Sundays
#30Groundhog Day halted last night
Posted: 6/29/17 at 4:35pm

Lot666 said: "10086Sundays said: "I think Directing/Matthew Warchus was the only category where I really felt GHD had a chance. I haven't seen CFA, but from the clips I can why it won. Still, Mr. Warchus having to work out the staging to be beautiful and work with the demands of the turntables was equally impressive.  What he did with Phil and Ned's blocking is gorgeous."

The "Night Will Come" scene is where GHD suddenly hits you in the gut, and it comes out of nowhere. It was brilliantly realized.
"

Agreed.  The beauty of "Night Will Come" is that it is the payoff of groundwork Matthew Warchus laid back in act one.  He has Phil and Ned switch positions literally and figuratively from their first meeting to when Phil learns about Ned's family.  Where Ned puts his hand on Phil's shoulder when they first meet, as if he can tell Phil's in trouble, after learning about Ned's wife, Phil returns the gesture when he suggests they go get coffee.

The closing image of "Night Will Come" is the two men standing in the reverse positions they were during their first meeting in act one. Phil has followed in Ned's footsteps, another brilliant pieces of staging/direction, and learned from him that while he might not be able to save everyone, he still has to "love life," regardless of the outcome, because the outcome is inevitable.