Lotteries-Hidden Fees

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#1Lotteries-Hidden Fees
Posted: 7/13/17 at 10:20pm

When I use TodayTix Lotteries and have won, the price for the ticket has always been what they post, $20 or $25, etc.

I assume Dear Evan Hansen and Comet are the same, although I haven't won those.

Oslo and Groundhog Day are different. You can enter for several days in that week. I won Groundhog Day today for tomorrow. Ticket price is listed as $39.50. However after I got to check out, $5.00  "fee" was added to that for a total of $44.50.  Now I know that's still cheap, but I was surprised by the extra fee not stated in the initial drawing page. I have thought that these Lotteries have been going up in price lately and this confirmed it. I assume Oslo has the same price added. What the "fee" is, I don't know and they don't tell you.

Just a head's up.

UncleCharlie
#2Lotteries-Hidden Fees
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:27pm

Some shows handle the ticketing of the lotteries themselves and don't charge a fee. Others farm it through Ticketmaster and they usually charge $5 for using their system. I paid that for Groundhog Day and in the past for The Crucible. Yes, it's an added fee they don't advertise but it's worth the extra $5 to me to pick the exact seat myself and make sure I'm getting the best available rather than leave it to the discretion of the box office. And if I don't see a seat I like, I can just pass and not be stuck with a hideous extreme partial view seat that makes me miss half the show. I'm also able to get Audience Rewards points on the ticket purchase which I can't when the shows handle it themselves. I think it went past a barrier for Present Laughter. I won the lottery and there was a ticketing fee AND a service charge which added around $11. That felt excessive to me and I said screw it. And by the way, TodayTix may not charge a fee for their lotteries but they do charge $7.50 for the mobile rushes they do like Jitney or The Little Foxes and those aren't advertised until you get to checkout either..

Updated On: 7/13/17 at 11:27 PM

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#3Lotteries-Hidden Fees
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:52am

Its ticketmaster

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#4Lotteries-Hidden Fees
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:48am

Thx, guys. Good to know. And UncleCharlie, you're right about being able to pick your own seat location. Many times I've had partial view seating with Lotteries. I have Row D Mezz, Seat 6 for Groundhog Day tomorrow night. Looking forward! 

broadwaygirl10
#5Lotteries-Hidden Fees
Posted: 7/14/17 at 8:19am

Basically, Telecharge lottos (socialtoaster, for shows in shubert theaters) and broadwaydirect lottos (shows in nederlander theatres) have no fees. Jujamycn lottos just give you a code, so if you go through ticketmaster you are subject to all their fees. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#6Lotteries-Hidden Fees
Posted: 7/14/17 at 8:25am

Not very hidden, considering the e-mail that says you won literally reads: "*Tickets must be purchased online, fees apply."

Videos