pixeltracker

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!- Page 2

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#25DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!
Posted: 7/18/17 at 6:23am

Wick3 said: "So happy for Dear Evan Hansen! I always wondered why it took so long to recoup!

From looking at the Broadway grosses, the show just completed its 35th week and has a total gross of $41,099,017 (roughly $41 million). So each week the average gross is roughly $1.17 million. 

Since the initial capitalization is $9.5 million and it took 35 weeks to recoup, that means on average each week $270,000 went towards that $9.5 million. Does that mean DEH's weekly operating cost is roughly $1,170,000 - $270,000 = $900,000? Doesn't $900k seem high to be the weekly nut? 

It's a bit late for me so my math may be wrong. 

Very late and very wrong. The nut for DEH doesn't come close to approaching $900K, which is close to 100% of the show's gross weekly potential. 

"

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#26DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!
Posted: 7/18/17 at 6:50am

Ok so how do you calculate the weekly nut given you have the weekly grosses at hand ($41 million total over 35 weeks) and the initial capitalization ($9.5 million)?

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#27DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!
Posted: 7/18/17 at 6:55am

I love it when any show recoups especially ones that are original works. (not from famous movie/ TV show). The more these type of shows are successful I hope it encourages investors to take a chance on original shows.

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#28DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!
Posted: 7/18/17 at 9:47am

RaisedOnMusicals said: "Very late and very wrong. The nut for DEH doesn't come close to approaching $900K, which is close to 100% of the show's gross weekly potential. "

Okay then.  So how do you calculate the weekly nut based on the numbers before us?

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#29DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!
Posted: 7/18/17 at 9:48am

Wick3 said: "Ok so how do you calculate the weekly nut given you have the weekly grosses at hand ($41 million total over 35 weeks) and the initial capitalization ($9.5 million)?

I don't know how to calculate the nut from the information available, but what I believe to be true is that the show's weekly expenses before royalties are a bit under $500,000  

"

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

bear88
#30DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!
Posted: 7/18/17 at 5:01pm

yankeefan7 said: "I love it when any show recoups especially ones that are original works. (not from famous movie/ TV show). The more these type of shows are successful I hope it encourages investors to take a chance on original shows.

I liked - but didn't love - the musical, but I really hope that its success encourages producers to take more risks on original material as opposed to relying on adapted films or established stars. I may be different, but I'm a lot more interested in seeing original material that's created for the stage. My favorite productions in recent years have all been original works, or shows based on or inspired by books.

froote
#31DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!
Posted: 7/18/17 at 5:04pm

When we think about the successful musicals of recent years: Fun Home, Hamilton, Comet, Hansen, Come From Away etc. it really seems like the trend is edging away from the movie adaptations, aside from those suitable for a younger audience which almost always do well.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#32DEAR EVAN HANSEN Recoups!
Posted: 7/18/17 at 5:42pm

jdln1973 said: "Question about shows that recoup and have had a life Off Broadway or Out of Town prior to their Broadway Bow... How is the capitalization cost affected by the use of previous sets/costuming? DEH is largely unchanged from the 2nd Stage Run so I was wondering how those costs figure into it.

This may explain: http://www.playbill.com/article/ask-playbillcom-recoupment-com-144477

"