pixeltracker

Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...- Page 2

Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#25Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...
Posted: 7/28/17 at 3:10pm

It's funny you should post that Brody because my tailor has been saying exactly the same thing but I really don't think brown suits are in my palette and I already have several Prince-of-Wales check shirts.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#26Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...
Posted: 2/23/18 at 12:04pm

I saw this at a movie theater last night. Very enjoyable. The very first thing you see is Jack O'Connell's penis. And lets just say he does NOT appear to suffer from the curse of the Irish.

I have a question, though. I know there are a few different versions of Act 3. The last time I saw Cat on stage was in 1990 with Kathleen Turner's version. I can't remember exactly, but I think I liked whatever ending they used for that one better. I didn't remember Big Mama being such big part of it.

Does anyone recall what the deal was? Which ending did the 1990 revival use?

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#27Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...
Posted: 2/23/18 at 6:05pm

Bumping to ask again-

Can anyone clarify for me the ending that was used for the 1990 revival with Turner and Durning? I think it was vastly superior to the ending this National Theatre version used.

From what I remember, the story went that Williams original ending was changed by Elia Kazan in 1956 to make the show less dark. Then, in 1974, Williams took his original ending, and incorporated it into what Kazan had him do. So when the show is performed now, they either perform the Kazan ending, or the 1974 Williams ending.

HOWEVER, in 1990, they reverted to Williams ORIGINAL, pre-Kazan script, which I recall being VASTLY superior to the 1974 ending. One major change is that Big Mama is not in it very much. So Polly Holiday was given little to do, compared to other Big Mamas.

Does anyone know the exact story on this?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#28Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...
Posted: 2/23/18 at 11:09pm

Saw the screening, as well. It was the '74 version.

Although it wasn't as incredible as his STREETCAR, I quite liked it. There were a couple bits that went too far for me (that damn birthday cake, really). But otherwise, I found it refreshing. And that Act II was one of the strongest I've ever seen - the superb acting and direction, and lighting and sound with the fireworks lighting up that gorgeous back wall. I'm never interested in definitive renditions, since it likely wouldn't be, with such a modernist take. But I found it illuminating and refreshing.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#29Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...
Posted: 2/26/18 at 2:47pm

I'm so sorry to bug everyone with this, but it's driving me crazy.

What version of act 3 did the 1990 revival with Kathleen Turner use? I don't remember Big Daddy returning, but I DO remember him telling the elephant joke, at some point! Not sure about that though.

One thing I know for sure- they used the original Broadway ending, that had Maggie talking, and saying the title of the show. Not the ending where Brick says "Wouldn't that be funny if it were true?"

theatreguy12
#30Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...
Posted: 2/27/18 at 12:15am

lovebwy said: "I saw this at a movie theater last night. Very enjoyable. The very first thing you see is Jack O'Connell's penis. And lets just say he does NOT appear to suffer from the curse of the Irish.

I have a question, though. I know there are a few different versions of Act 3. The last time I saw Cat on stage was in 1990 with Kathleen Turner's version. I can't remember exactly, but I think I liked whatever ending they used for that one better. I didn't remember Big Mama being such big part of it.

Does anyone recall what the deal was? Which ending did the 1990 revival use?
"

Thanks for the warning.  This will be one I pass on then.  Makes me think of...Bernadette Peters, was it...who said she wouldn't go topless because if she did that's what the whole topic of discussion becomes.  Not her performance.  Not the piece she's performing in.  It becomes about her chest.

Glad to know this production of COAHTR went straight to Final Jeopardy.  Will stay clear of this one.  

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#31Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...
Posted: 3/27/18 at 3:45pm

The National Theatre Live broadcast is coming my way and I'm checking to see if folks on this board would recommend it. A complaint I heard from some critics was that the star's acting was too small for the large theater. Does the production work on film? I've seen two yays and one nay thus far.

My apologies for starting a new thread. This one didn't come up when I did a search for the plays title. I'll put it here for search reference: "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof."

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 3/27/18 at 03:45 PM

The Other One
#32Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...
Posted: 3/27/18 at 4:08pm

I genuinely liked it very much.  Some odd directorial choices, typical of the way American plays are being presented across the pond these days, but I suppose I am growing used to these things.  The performances did not come off as being too small, at least not as caught on camera.  Jack and Sienna were excellent.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#33Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...
Posted: 3/27/18 at 8:35pm

Definitely recommend. Not entirely successful, as indeed there are a few choices that go a bit too far (for me, that birthday cake), but where it gets it right, it's extremely powerful. The Act II scene between Brick and Big Daddy is the best version of that scene I've seen in I don't even know how long.