Falsettos plot/lyrics question

schubox
#1Falsettos plot/lyrics question
Posted: 7/31/17 at 11:59am

So I think I know the answer to this but I was curious what others thought. During What Would I Do? Whizzer sings:

"All your life you've wanted men,
And when you got it up to have them,
Who knew it could end your life?"

This is obviously referring to himself, but is it also referring to Marvin? And if so, is it just saying that Marvin now knows about the virus that could kill him, or is it saying Marvin has contracted it as well?

Or it's possible I'm reading way too much into it, but that lyric always jumps out at me.

Updated On: 7/31/17 at 11:59 AM

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#2Falsettos plot/lyrics question
Posted: 7/31/17 at 12:05pm

It's all of the above including that "at that moment" with Whizzer gone, Marvin feels like his life is over. It also depends on how the actors and director interpret it.  One could say that this is all in Marvin's head so this is all about him even though Whizzer is singing.

schubox
#3Falsettos plot/lyrics question
Posted: 7/31/17 at 12:07pm

BuddyStarr said: "It's all of the above including that "at that moment" with Whizzer gone, Marvin feels like his life is over. It also depends on how the actors and director interpret it.  One could say that this is all in Marvin's head so this is all about him even though Whizzer is singing.

"

True. I've only ever seen the revival from last year so I'm just thinking about that. I guess I was trying to figure out if it's implying Marvin contracted HIV Fromm whizzer, but I wasn't sure if that was something I was reading too much in to, or if it was left ambiguous and the viewer is supposed to wonder that 

hannhannham
#4Falsettos plot/lyrics question
Posted: 7/31/17 at 12:09pm

My interpretation has always been that Marvin contracts it as well. Otherwise I see no point to "Something Bad (Reprise). 

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#5Falsettos plot/lyrics question
Posted: 7/31/17 at 12:12pm

I always interpreted it as a general comment on the gay experience. Whizzer saying, in general, that while gay men continue to struggle with self-acceptance, they now had to face a deadly epidemic on top of it. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Updated On: 7/31/17 at 12:12 PM

schubox
#6Falsettos plot/lyrics question
Posted: 7/31/17 at 12:15pm

hannhannham said: "My interpretation has always been that Marvin contracts it as well. Otherwise I see no point to "Something Bad (Reprise). 

"

Good point. She specifically says something that spreads from a man to a man and I believe Marvin is there and gets upset upon hearing that. I ever tied that together with the lyrics I originally posted. Seems kind of obvious when you look at it that way 

Updated On: 7/31/17 at 12:15 PM

Videos