News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BuddyStarr

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
Member Name: BuddyStarr
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Staged Right: The Creation of Evita The Musical  Nov 7 2023, 04:50:06 PM

Just caught this last night as I was going down a YouTube hole. Very interesting episode and up to date to include the recent “revival”.

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Previews  Oct 10 2023, 01:10:02 PM

Wick3 said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "Video montage of the Japanese incarnation of the same production, if anyone's interested.

Musical Merrily we roll along at Aichi Prefectural Art Theater Large Hall【For J-LODlive】 - YouTube
"

Thank you for sharing! It's also pretty much the same production in Boston (Huntington) back in 2017. It makes me think in this case that casting matters. I thought the Boston cast was superb but I understand none of them have a big enough name like Daniel Radcliffe to sell tickets.
"

The actor that played Charley in Boston made me fall in love with his portrayal.

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Previews  Oct 7 2023, 05:51:22 PM

Matt Rogers said: "By the way, in case this was not previously mentioned, the entire Chocolate Factory production from London is posted on YouTube. It is almost exactly the same production that is currently on Broadway but with a different cast. Same set, same direction, and it looks like an official video, not a bootleg. Worth a watch."

From the looks of the set (I have not seen the current Bway Production yet) it appears exactly like the production in Boston also w

Unpleasant theater audiences  Aug 9 2023, 05:35:15 PM

So another interesting interaction last night at the Cottage.  Luckily it wasn’t directed at me.  My friend and I were walking down 44th street after the Cottage got out and crossed the street headed towards 8th Ave.  This young girl was on the side of my friend who was holding his Playbill up and she said to him “Did you enjoy the play?”  

Without waiting for an answer she said “I couldn’t”. Those four women up there (they were a

BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews  Aug 5 2023, 11:58:55 PM

pethian said: "Huckster2 said: "Another fun part of a review by Erin Strecker, IndieWire

"When a teenage version of Marty’s mom Lorraine finds Marty in her bed, she sings an original song, “Pretty Baby,” a doo-wop ‘50s number with lyrics like, “Did you come to save me/ My pretty baby/ Oh how you drive me crazy.” It’s played for silly laughs, but an already uncomfortable scene in a film takes on an even odder feel when

BACK TO THE FUTURE Press Reviews  Aug 4 2023, 05:23:02 PM

Dom P said: ...And I agree with Jordan. There is a place on Broadway for a show where audience can let all inhibitions go, lose themselves in the show and have a blast!!"

And that show is....SIX

BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews  Aug 4 2023, 05:17:33 PM

allofmylife said: "I doubt that reviews will matter. This is a party, like "Barbie" is a party. It will get an audience for a run, screaming at every turn and coming back again and again. And tourists. It's a title everyone knows. It's got nostalgia and a bit with a car."

Really?  I don't see people going back again and again.  First of all, it's expensive and the people who go back are usually New Yorkers.  T

Back To The Future previews  Aug 2 2023, 09:57:01 AM

rosscoe(au) said: "I’m still trying to work out what I missed, cause it could be the worst musical of all time. But the night I saw it in London the audience was behaving like it was the greatest thing ever."

This is what I stated last year when I saw it in London also and then started seeing the endless ads on social media.  When I responded that I didn't like it I was flamed with people saying I had no taste and "it's run for years in the UK

SPAMALOT To Play The St James This Fall  Aug 2 2023, 09:52:11 AM

I hope this isn't true.  He ruined Hamilton for me, his diction was incredibly poor.

HERE LIES LOVE Reviews  Jul 27 2023, 01:42:16 PM

If memory serves me correctly, the production at The Public ended differently:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

At the end of the production at the Public,, it ended with the whole cast doing a rousing rendition of "Here Lies Love". Not so on Bway.

THE SHARK IS BROKEN Previews  Jul 27 2023, 01:21:33 PM

Saw this last night.  I agree with the other responses.  The acting is good and while the script and direction is tight.  However, sitting through the play you ask "Why?".  As a whole it doesn't say a lot and is mediocre. If you get discount or free tickets then go.  But I wouldn't pay full price for it.  The theatre was packed.  

If you loved the movie, you'd probably like this play as a "behind the scenes" play o

HERE LIES LOVE - Broadway Previews  Jul 23 2023, 11:05:46 AM

Saw the show yesterday for the matinee. Saw it at the Public three times, this show, from my recollection, is the same production with some small changes (much more $$$$$ used for production values). 

While I still loved the show, to me I missed the intimacy of the Public. Being on the floor I felt a bit disconnected when the cast was in the “seated area”. I still think though that the best to see this show is on the dance floor. 

th

Back To The Future previews  Jul 13 2023, 03:02:15 PM

quizking101 said: "To sidestep a second: I do find it odd they announced a national tour so soon. I feel like they will want this to become an institution on Broadway for a while before sending it out on the road and the decision to tour before its established itself stateside seems like it would disincentive people to travel and see it in NYC"

Mrs. Doubtfire is touring and it didn't even run that long so I'm not surprised about it advertised.  At the ti

Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl  Jul 12 2023, 03:17:17 PM

This whole issue is ridiculous.  It's why it's called ACTING.

Back To The Future previews  Jul 7 2023, 03:41:42 PM

Idk. If you have to cough up $200+ and it gets bad reviews…Addams Family anyone?

Back To The Future previews  Jul 7 2023, 01:43:11 PM

DramaTeach said: "pablitonizer said: "Interesting reviews! What do you think critics will say on opening night?"

I’m expecting mixed. Praise for Hugh, Casey and the effects, but mixed to negative for everything else.
"

Hugh was the best thing in the London production.

Back To The Future previews  Jul 7 2023, 12:13:33 PM

tinmanic said: "Back to the Future is my all-time favorite movie. I'm also a veteran NYC theatergoer. What happens when these two interests collide...?

I saw it last night and it was not good. It seemed like a parody of a screen-to-stage musical. If the TV show "30 Rock" had an episode that included excerpts from an imaginary Back to the Future musical, this is what it would be like.

The best thing about it was Hugh Coles, who does a dead-on recrea

Unpleasant theater audiences  Jul 3 2023, 02:00:57 PM

60'splayoff said: "I'm so sorry that happened to you @buddystarr. Feeling frustrated and distracted is one thing, feeling unsafe is another.

My struggle is always to either silently suffer or say something and risk setting the patron off, making more of a scene.

I was at & Juliet the Tuesday after Tony's (hmm a theme here... maybe that show needs to explore a more in-your-face announcement rather than just a sign). I was in the front row next to

Back To The Future previews  Jul 1 2023, 11:15:09 AM

DramaTeach said: "Liked it, but didn’t love it. The good:

1) Hugh Coles is fantastic. He’s a perfect mix of Crispin Glover’s George with his own spin. He nails it all.
2)Casey Likes was a great Marty. He has his own take on the character, and I appreciated that. Went until about 11:05 and started at 8:15.

3) The DeLorean! Holy cow, that thing steals the show in many moments.

4) Jennifer is usually a throw away for me since we on

Back To The Future previews  Jun 29 2023, 08:53:59 AM

VernonGersch said: "I loved the film. Saw first act in London last summer. Couldn't take anymore of it. It literally is a theme park ride version of a Broadway show. Awful music. Roger Bart yucking it up seemingly every minute nudge nudge wink wink to the audience.

Yeah, didn't make it to Act Two.
"

I was too cheap to leave after spending the money and hoped it would get batter.  I was wrong.  Casey Likes was the only thing I liked about A

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You