pixeltracker

Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway? - Page 4

Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?

natashalost
#75Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/17/18 at 10:38am

I would love to see Ana Villafañe do it. Please NO, Mandy Gonzalez. 

Does anyone want Janet Dacal? I loved her singing Don't Cry For Me Argentina in POB.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#76Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 12:17pm

More footage of the International Tour. The Eva has a great voice but is a little dead in the eyes. Most interesting is that they DO include "You Must Love Me" -- which was NOT in Hal Prince's original production.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/VIDEO-Get-A-First-Look-At-Hal-Princes-EVITA-International-Tour-20180130

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#77Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 12:48pm

QueenAlice said: "More footage of the International Tour. The Eva has a great voice but is a little dead in the eyes. Most interesting is that they DO include "You Must Love Me" -- which was NOT in Hal Prince's original production.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/VIDEO-Get-A-First-Look-At-Hal-Princes-EVITA-International-Tour-20180130
"

At about 2:48 ("Don't Cry for Me Argentina" ), why does she suddenly start going in and out of an English accent?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 1/30/18 at 12:48 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#78Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 1:00pm

Because the actress is British?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#79Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 1:12pm

I hate how they have staged "You Must Love Me". It's how I've seen numerous regional productions do it as well. The number worked beautifully in the revival as Eva was singing directly to Peron, not the audience. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#80Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 1:15pm

QueenAlice said: "Because the actress is British?"

So you're saying she's just not a very good actress?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#81Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 1:44pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "I hate how they have staged "You Must Love Me". It's how I've seen numerous regional productions do it as well. The number worked beautifully in the revival as Eva was singing directly to Peron, not the audience."

Hal Prince had to find a way to make this song work with his already set, stark, presentational direction style for the rest of the show.  I would argue this song doesn't belong in his staging at all, because it was written for the film to make the Peron characters more sympathetic. Hal's vision for the show was to NOT make the characters sympathetic.

Updated On: 1/30/18 at 01:44 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#82Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 2:01pm

And yet, as always, Webber set in stone (with his new licensing agency) a "definitive" score for Evita that all presenters are bound by, whether or not the choices he's made are all particularly wonderful. (It's my understanding that the new dance music for two numbers in the revival is now "frozen" in what is licensed as well.) They had to figure out some way of fitting it in, so they made it work their way. Who knows what might change before Broadway?

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 1/30/18 at 02:01 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#83Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 2:08pm

I kind of imagine that Hal Prince wouldn't be obligated to honor the licensed version of the show. Aside from the fact that this is reportedly a recreation of his original staging -- most first class productions operate under different contracts and usually its by mutual consent between the creatives what version of the script is presented. 

Perhaps Prince liked the song and wanted to include it - or perhaps Andrew asked him to try it.  But I doubt its there just because it was in the rented materials.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#84Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 2:11pm

QueenAlice said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "I hate how they have staged "You Must Love Me". It's how I've seen numerous regional productions do it as well. The number worked beautifully in the revival as Eva was singing directly to Peron, not the audience."

Hal Prince had to find a way to make this song work with his already set, stark, presentational direction style for the rest of the show. I would argue this song doesn't belong in his staging at all, because it was written for the film to make the Peron characters more sympathetic. Hal's vision for the show was to NOT make the characters sympathetic.
"

I agree. I enjoy the song, but it does not belong in this staging. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#85Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 2:32pm

I can't stand You Must Love Me.  It's unnecessary to the plot and to me, the melody just doesn't fit the rest of the score.  It's treacly sentiment undercuts the chilling end of Dice are Rolling that leads into Eva's Final Broadcast.  It stops everything cold for a sentimental moment that is trite, boring and completely against character.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#86Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 2:41pm

To me "You Must Love Me" was a brilliant addition.  I love the song and think that lyrically it's a vintage Tim Rice thing where you're not quite sure what she's saying - is Eva surprised that Peron loves her?  is Eva demanding it in a "you can't survive with out me"?  is it both or neither?  "deep in my heart I'm concealing things that I'm wanting to say..." after all that they were through - she's still not being completely honest or frank and isn't quite sure he is either.

I think that it's a challenge for Prince to stage it, but think it could work 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#87Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 3:19pm

I think "You Must Love Me" is an example of a decent song that was never really necessary. It that was written to provide 'connective tissue' for Alan Parker's more realistic (and more sympathetic) plot driven take on the story for the film, and even than was probably mostly written to provide ALW and Rice the chance to win an Oscar, which it did.

I agree with those that say it doesn't really belong in the stage musical.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#88Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/30/18 at 4:25pm

It was Oscar bait and it worked, which is a shame because the award should have gone to That Thing You Do.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian