pixeltracker

The Greatest Showman soundtrack - Page 4

The Greatest Showman soundtrack

jo
#75Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/4/18 at 8:56pm

The popularity of the musical score makes it even more possible for this movie musical to be adapted for the stage! Both Jackman and director Gracey have talked about the possibility but with the major improvement in box office trends and the soundtrack album topping the all-albums chart, the chances have become more enhanced. It will be interesting to see how a stage adaptation might look and sound like.

Updated On: 1/4/18 at 08:56 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#76Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/5/18 at 5:07am

i don’t think i ripped the score to shreds, i thought the movie was just okay but i’ve been enjoying the soundtrack (despite the kind of generic sound of many of the songs and my opinion that it pales in comparison to DEH). still stunned but in a good way!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

#77Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/5/18 at 10:55am

I think this easily lends itself to a stage production. It would, seemingly, need a large theater, but I wish it the best. I hope they keep the contemporary style of dance, I thought that contrast was so exciting!

jo
#78Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/6/18 at 2:32am

https://twitter.com/LacketyLac/status/945651030380957697

Sorry, the link cannot be made clickable. Here is the reproduced tweet from Alex Lacamoire --

View image on Twitter

My first feature film credit!
Thank you to @pasekandpaul #MichaelGracey and @20thcenturyfox for inviting me along.
Tagging some genius heavy-hitters I was lucky enough to work alongside with.
Bravo to all who took part in making this brilliant music shine!@GreatestShowman

Tony and Grammy winner Alex Lacamoire is an Exec Music Producer for the movie .

Updated On: 1/6/18 at 02:32 AM

jo
#79Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 1/12/18 at 2:45am

It's the music America loves these days - - according to Billboard, the soundtrack album of THE GREATEST SHOWMAN is headed for the second straight week on top of the Billboard 200 charts!

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8094060/greatest-showman-soundtrack-second-number-one-billboard-200?utm_source=twitter

rattleNwoolypenguin
#80Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 1/12/18 at 3:11am

This score is trite derivative anthemic pop.

Pasek and Paul sold out to chart iTunes. 

What a shame.

Dogfight while not perfect, at least was intelligent and harmonically complex and showed promise for them bringing more of that to current musical theatre

broadwayboy223
#81Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 1/12/18 at 3:46am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "This score is trite derivative anthemic pop.

Pasek and Paul sold out to chart iTunes.

What a shame.

Dogfight while not perfect, at least was intelligent and harmonically complex and showed promise for them bringing more of that to currentmusical theatre
"

Exactly how I feel. Dogfight has so much more complexity and depth 

broadwayboy223
#82Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 1/12/18 at 3:59pm

Though I think the film is an utter piece of mediocrity and not really a good film, I will say This Is Me has grown on me. Do any of the songs advance plot or provide character insight? HELL NO. But if I realign my thinking and think of "This Is Me" as another pop song on the radio I actually like it. I think ultimately the music is what killed the movie for me. Being a singer, I connect with the score first and foremost. This score is really not a musical theatre score.  

Liza's Headband
#83Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 1/12/18 at 5:17pm

Correct. It's a POP score. 

jo
#84Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 12:17am

Ramin Karimloo sings FROM NOW ON at his London concert.

https://twitter.com/raminkarimloo/status/952232273700642816

broadwayboy223
#85Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 1:26am

I know it won't get released but I would be VERY curious to see the whole workshop since it's clear it was filmed.

Liza's Headband
#86Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 9:32am

broadwayboy223 said: "I know it won't get released but I would be VERY curious to see the whole workshop since it's clear it was filmed."

Never say, "never." 

jo
#88Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 1/23/18 at 9:23am

Congratulations to Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, Keala Settle and the whole THE GREATEST SHOWMAN team for the Oscar nomination for Best Original Song of the film's anthem, THIS IS ME!

Updated On: 1/23/18 at 09:23 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#90Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 2/9/18 at 7:26pm

I’m sitting in a car wash in an Australian suburb right now and “This is me” is playing. So interesting to watch this film open rather tepidly and grow to the success it has. This must be the power of word of mouth.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jo
#91Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 2/9/18 at 8:23pm

Here's a fantastic performance by Broadway's own Keala Settle on the  Graham Norton show in the UK --

jo
#92Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 7/3/18 at 10:16pm

Postcript:  Some six months later after release of the soundtrack album.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-29/the-year-s-top-selling-singer-isn-t-kanye-it-s-hugh-jackman

"Halfway through a year filled with new work from some of the most popular artists alive, the best-selling album is the soundtrack to a movie musical with Hugh Jackman that never led the box office.

“The Greatest Showman’’ has sold almost 4 million copies for Atlantic Records, outpacing works from Kanye West, Taylor Swift and Justin Timberlake. Music from the film based on the life of circus promoter P.T. Barnum has outsold the next most popular album of the year, Post Malone’s “Beerbongs & Bentleys,’’ by about 2-to-1.

Top-selling original soundtracks are a rarity these days, even if record labels are devoting more attention and energy to the once-neglected genre. “The Greatest Showman,’’ with songs by Zendaya and Zac Efron, has become the best-selling soundtrack since “Frozen’’ in 2014, according to Warner Music, which owns Atlantic."
Updated On: 7/3/18 at 10:16 PM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#93Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 12/28/18 at 8:28pm

From Forbes magazine, December 26, 2018:

The Greatest Showman (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) album has sold 5.3 million copies worldwide since its release on December 8 last year, with unprecedented runs in the U.S. and U.K. especially. On the Billboard 200, it is currently at No. 10 and has been the chart for 54 weeks, virtually its entire release life, peaking in the top slot.

The Greatest Showman album returned to the No. 1 slot in Britain for Christmas week with its biggest-ever weekly sale of 69,000 units – 85% from sales and the rest from unit-equivalent streams. The British sales figures are typical of those in other countries, with more than half of sales from CDs and vinyl. This suggests that the album is being bought by older consumers less familiar with digital media. Still, the movie also appeals to a younger audience. The Atlantic album has also just gone Platinum for a fifth time, according to the BPI industry group, with nearly 1.5 million units sold in a year, the biggest-seller of 2018.

In Britain, the album has been in the Top 5 for every week of the Official Album Chart of 2018. It has been at No. 1 for a non-consecutive 23 of those weeks. This matches the 21-century record set by Adele’s second album 21, also at the top for 23 weeks. However chart analysts point out that Adele’s record was set over the course of two years in 2011 and 2012, whereas The Greatest Showman was released just over a year ago. Its No. 1 chart run also matches Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles, which racked up 23 straight weeks at the top from debut in June 1967. The Greatest Showman therefore has the best performance in some 50 years and may well better it if sale trends continue.

The 20th-Century Fox film’s success confounded many critics, some of whom were lukewarm about the story of circus entrepreneur P.T. Barnum, played by Hugh Jackman.

Updated, December 28, 2018:

“The Greatest Showman soundtrack has now spent more weeks at number one in the UK than any other album this century - beating a record set by Adele.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46704440

silent
#94Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 12/29/18 at 11:33pm

I hope Nicole Scherzinger records a studio version of Never Enough. Her live version is amazing!

jo
#95Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 12/31/18 at 5:26pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsEOXH9Hldl/

The world's best-selling album in 2018!

Who would have ever thought this would happen?!!

Congratulations to Hugh Jackman, Pasek&Paul, and all those involved in this joyous musical score!

Updated On: 12/31/18 at 05:26 PM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#96Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 2/10/19 at 5:34pm

2019 Grammy Awards:

“Other winners of theatrical note included Hugh Jackman, Alex Lacamoire, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul for The Greatest Showman, which garnered the award for Best Compilation Soundtrack For Visual Media; the win marks the first Grammy for Tony and Emmy winner Hugh Jackman. (Fun fact: now all Jackman needs to EGOT is an Oscar.)”

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/194848/the-bands-visit-wins-2019-grammy-award-hugh-jackman-nabs-first-grammy-for-the-greatest-showman/

Updated On: 2/10/19 at 05:34 PM

jo
#97Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 2/10/19 at 9:17pm

CONGRATULATONS to Hugh Jackman/Pasek&Paul/Alex Lacamoire/Greg Wells and the various artists involved in the soundtrack album!

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/awards/61st-annual-grammy-awards#category-246

To bypass other categories, please click on Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media, on the right.

Hugh Jackman is now the holder of a TONY/EMMY/GRAMMY award! He achieved these wins in different facets of a performer's talent :

*theatrical performance for THE BOY FROM OZ  -- TONY

*hosting an event show - 2004 TONYs -- EMMY

*Principal vocalist for THE GREATEST SHOWMAN -- GRAMMY

Hope the Oscar comes soon!

Updated On: 2/11/19 at 09:17 PM

mamaleh
#98Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 2/11/19 at 11:03am

I second Jo's post.

But as to whether the songs from THE GREATEST SHOWMAN move the story along, I think they do, some more so than others.  "A Million Dreams"  is Barnum's "I want" song and sets in motion his ambition. "The Other Side" enacts the deal that makes Barnum partners with Carlyle, definitely a major plot point.  "Tightrope" explains Barnum's wife's misgivings about their relationship, and "From Now On" is Barnum's realization of what is truly important to him, signaling that he has to change course.  I consider those songs instrumental to storytelling, however "pop" they may sound. 

Shh_413
#99Greatest Showman soundtrack - 2nd Straight Week on top of Billboard 200!
Posted: 2/11/19 at 11:30am

In addition to Hugh Jackman, David Yazbek is also now only an Oscar away from an EGOT. He won a Primetime Emmy for his writing on Letterman in 1984.