Posted: 7/16/18 at 6:28pm

Elegance101 said: "Jesus Christ."

No.  That’s another musical.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#727Official Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! performances thread
Posted: 7/16/18 at 8:03pm

Solipsist234 said: "Umm, maybe some of us have... lives? Sorry to break it to you, Dollypop, but... I think the hype/reviews for this revival have limited my overall enjoyment of the piece (which has also been soured, I guess!) It's great that you have such a special connection to this show, Dollypop, but for me, I guess the parade passed by a long time ago Official Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! performances thread"

That was completely unnecessary and uncalled for.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Dollypop
#728Official Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! performances thread
Posted: 7/16/18 at 8:53pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Solipsist234 said: "Umm, maybe some of us have... lives? Sorry to break it to you, Dollypop, but... I think the hype/reviews for this revival have limited my overall enjoyment of the piece (which has also been soured, I guess!) It's great that you have such a special connection to this show, Dollypop, but for me, I guess theparade passed by a long time ago Official Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! performances thread"

For the record: I'm am a retiree and, although I am involved in numerous church and community projects, I have plenty of time for HELLO, DOLLY!

It's sad to know you let the parade pass you by (the way they staged it in the movie), but this show is the most life affirming musical that's ever been written. 

That was completely unnecessary and uncalled for.

"

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#729Official Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! performances thread
Posted: 7/16/18 at 10:19pm

Solipsist234 said: "Umm, maybe some of us have... lives?"

If that were true, you wouldn't have time to slowly dissect why a revival of a Broadway show isn't moving you on a message board while simultaneously winding up the people who are getting a lot of joy out of it.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#730Official Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! performances thread
Posted: 7/17/18 at 5:02am

Dollypop said: "For the record: I'm am a retiree and, although I am involved in numerous church and community projects, I have plenty of time for HELLO, DOLLY!

It's sad to know you let the parade pass you by (the way they staged it in the movie), but this show is the most life affirming musical that's ever been written.

Amen to this, Dollypop. I've never been able to listen to a cast recording (personal favorite is Mary Martin's) or attend a performance (Bernadette and Donna so far, Bette in August!) without feeling good afterwards no matter what mood I was in before. And both times I've seen it live, I've left the theatre with the biggest grin on my face.

My one regret with this revival is my grandmother, who was a regular attendee during the Pearl Bailey and Ethel Merman runs of the original production, didn't live long enough to see it. She felt very strongly about the Dolly Levi character, and it was one of the first cast recordings she shared with me when I was very little.

Fingers crossed you get to the 100 show milestone before the show closes! laugh

Updated On: 7/17/18 at 05:02 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#731Official Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! performances thread
Posted: 8/11/19 at 3:40pm

Did anyone know that Jerry Herman wrote the theme song for a Barney film, performed by Bernadette Peters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_DIEe588WE

How hilarious. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Dollypop
#732Official Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! performances thread
Posted: 8/11/19 at 11:51pm

It's a cute tune.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Latest Posts