pixeltracker

Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along

Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along

EvanstonDad
#1Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/27/17 at 9:22am

Anyone see the film "Lady Bird" yet? For Sondheim fans, part of the story revolves around a high school production of "Merrily We Roll Along," complete with some brief scenes of the kids' performance. And it happens to be a terrific movie too.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#2Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/27/17 at 9:45am

One of the things I liked most about the movie was how honestly it captured putting on a musical in high school; the excitement, nerves, joy, and the inevitable after-show celebration at the local diner. 

EvanstonDad
#3Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/27/17 at 10:03am

And I saw another thread about Tracy Letts and his new play at Steppenwolf and thought it worth mentioning that he's in "Lady Bird" and gives a wonderful performance, as does Laurie Metcalf.

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#4Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/27/17 at 10:56am

And the kids' auditions were songs from other Sondheim shows (Company, Into the Woods). 

What I want to know is, who is TweetyPie1?

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#5Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/27/17 at 10:18pm

Greta Gerwig did an interview with Terry Gross on NPR in which she said that Merrily We Roll Along is her favorite musical, and she wrote it into the screenplay for Lady Bird without even knowing if she could get the rights to use it in the movie. Fortunately for her (and us), it worked out.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#6Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/28/17 at 12:35am

Saoirse Ronan singing “Everybody Says Don’t” is one of my favorite parts of the whole thing.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#7Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/28/17 at 12:42am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Saoirse Ronan singing “Everybody Says Don’t” is one of my favorite parts of the whole thing. "

Don’t forget when Lucas Hedges unbuttons the top button of his shirt as he begins to sing “there are giants in the sky” literal hearthrob.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#8Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/28/17 at 1:32am

I've seen Lady Bird twice already.  I went in the first time knowing very little about it on purpose.  I wanted to be surprised as it unfolded.  When the auditions featured Sondheim songs it took me in a direction I was not expecting.   Lady Bird had painted SAC as having no culture but the theatre department was doing Merrily We Roll Along.  Lucas singing Giants in the Sky was a highlight as it is one of my favorite Sondheim songs.   With his red hair he could have been Jack in Into the Woods.  I thought Saoirse Ronan  gave a great audition so I was surprised she only made swing.  It was so cool to see a film cast with almost all theatre actors.    In an interview Timothée Chalamet said Beanie wasn't going to be in Hello, Dolly! much longer.  Has that been announced?

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#9Lady Bird and Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/28/17 at 6:29am

easily one of my favorite films of the year