pixeltracker

A great use for phones in the theater!

A great use for phones in the theater!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1A great use for phones in the theater!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:31am

Check this out!

What a great opportunity for the hearing impaired.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 2/12/18 at 05:31 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2A great use for phones in the theater!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:02am

For those afraid of URL shorteners, it's an NPR link (this is the longer version): https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/02/11/582527472/its-ok-to-look-at-your-phone-at-a-broadway-show-if-your-hearing-is-impaired

They talked about this quite a bit at BroadwayCon last year and this. I'm really impressed. I didn't get to ask, though, what resources they might have for a patron who doesn't have a smartphone — would theatres have a stripped-down spare smartphone in the house?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#3A great use for phones in the theater!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:15am

LizzieCurry said: "For those afraid of URL shorteners, it's an NPR link (this is the longer version):https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/02/11/582527472/its-ok-to-look-at-your-phone-at-a-broadway-show-if-your-hearing-is-impaired

They talked about this quite a bit at BroadwayCon last year and this. I'm really impressed. I didn't get to ask, though, what resources they might have for a patron who doesn't have a smartphone — would theatres have a stripped-down spare smartphone in the house?
"

Yes, at one of the Shubert talks they said there are providing devices that patrons can use if they don't bring a compatible device.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4A great use for phones in the theater!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:22am

So good to know!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#5A great use for phones in the theater!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:28am

How will everyone around them know they're not being an idiot, though?!

dramamama611
#6A great use for phones in the theater!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:32am

The way it works is without glowing light, so it shouldn't bother anyone...and other than that.....I doubt too many particulary care what strangers may think of them.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#7A great use for phones in the theater!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:47am

dramamama611 said: "The way it works is without glowing light, so it shouldn't bother anyone...and other than that.....I doubt too many particulary care what strangers may think of them."

Yes, but a lot of people do keep telling people to turn their phones off during shows, etc.

dramamama611
#9A great use for phones in the theater!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 1:24pm

But who's to yell if they don't notice it's being used?

PT...didn't know it was already in use!   How's it being rec'd?