Taylor Louderman

Lindsay is a goddess
#1Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:29am

Okay, since I've posted this multiple times already and no one has answered me, it's getting its own thread. Can someone PLEASE explain to me why Taylor Louderman is considered such a frontrunner for nomination for Best Leading Actress. Almost everyone has her on their list, over the likes of Jessie Mueller and Patti Murin. I get that maybe Jessie Mueller feels wasted in Carousel, but how good can Louderman really be in Mean Girls? No disrespect to Tina Fey, but how does a high school Queen Bee measure up to those performances? Is Louderman really just that incredible?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#2Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:31am

Most people I've seen have included Jessie Mueller. MEAN GIRLS received slightly better notices than FROZEN, and Louderman was almost always signaled out. Brantley loved her. I'd say the fifth slot is between Murin and Louderman. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Lindsay is a goddess
#3Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:36am

Brantley did single her out, and I'll grant that there are few loftier voices than his, but many others said that Louderman suffered from comparison with Park and Rockwell. Some even said that her comedy fell flat, whereas most critics stated that Murin all but carried Frozen on her own.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#4Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:39am

Yes, she is that incredible.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#5Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:40am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Most people I've seen have included Jessie Mueller. MEAN GIRLS received slightly better notices than FROZEN, and Louderman was almost always signaled out. Brantley loved her. I'd say the fifth slot is between Murin and Louderman."

I think Taylor Louderman & Patti Murin are both going to make the cut. I don't think Jessie Mueller is going to be nominated again this year.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#6Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:43am

Lindsay is a goddess said: "how good can Louderman really be in Mean Girls?"

The show is open, so if you want to know, it's easy to sort out. If people who saw her put her on their lists, maybe they... I don't know, are really into what she did?!

Lindsay is a goddess
#7Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:14am

haterobics said: "Lindsay is a goddess said: "how good can Louderman really be in Mean Girls?"

The show is open, so if you want to know, it's easy to sort out. If people who saw herputher on their lists, maybe they... I don't know, are really into what she did?!
"

I unfortunately don't live in NYC and can't afford a trip, so it's not in my power to see the show, but...I mean...how much can you really do with that character? Yes, she's mean. A monster. But I guess I'm just having trouble imagining what one can do with that character that would be thrilling enough to justify a Tony nomination.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#8Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:17am

She's terrific in Mean Girls. It's a fantastic comedic performance. The show is very, very fortunate to have the cast it has. (I personally would've put her in Featured Actress, but that's not the world in which we live).

But that pretty much underscores a problem with nominations: you're comparing apples and oranges to determine which is best.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/30/18 at 11:17 AM

singer234
#9Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:17am

Her comedic timing is impeccable, she is effortless, gorgeous, has one of the strongest contemporary musical theatre voices to ever hit the Broadway stage, manages to be both commercial and incredibly singular and unique at the same time. Let’s not forget this is the girl who was starring in Kinky Boots, the Clueless reading as Cher, the Pretty Woman reading, all within a year or so. She is probably the most sought after contemporary musical theatre actress there is today. To answer your question, she’s that good and the realest deal there is.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#10Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:18am

Im having the same thought process but with Ashley park. When I saw the show she was the weakest plastic. Im not understanding all the love??

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BlackElleWoods Profile Photo
BlackElleWoods
#11Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:23am

singer234 said: "Her comedic timing is impeccable, she is effortless, gorgeous, has one of the strongest contemporary musical theatre voices to ever hit the Broadway stage, manages to be both commercial and incredibly singular and unique at the same time. Let’s not forget this is the girl who was starring in Kinky Boots, the Clueless reading as Cher, the Pretty Woman reading, all within a year or so. She is probably the most sought after contemporary musical theatre actress there is today. To answer your question, she’s that good and the realest deal there is."

speaking of clueless ... have you heard anything lately about it ? I was really looking forward to it

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:23am

Lindsay is a goddess said: "...how much can you really do with that character? Yes,she's mean. A monster. But I guess I'm just having trouble imagining what one can do with that character that would be thrilling enough to justify a Tony nomination."

I'm not sure why you're taking such a reductive view. People have earned Tony nominations and even won based on their work as a minor character that appears in a single scene.

A good performance is a good performance. It doesn't matter if you're playing a mean high school girl or King Lear.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#13Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:29am

Lindsay is a goddess said: "But I guess I'm just having trouble imagining what one can do with that character that would be thrilling enough to justify a Tony nomination."

I'm having trouble sorting out why you have to imagine... any of this?

Liza's Headband
#14Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:37am

singer234 said: "Her comedic timing is impeccable, she is effortless, gorgeous, has one of the strongest contemporary musical theatre voices to ever hit the Broadway stage, manages to be both commercial and incredibly singular and unique at the same time. Let’s not forget this is the girl who was starring in Kinky Boots, the Clueless reading as Cher, the Pretty Woman reading, all within a year or so. She is probably the most sought after contemporary musical theatre actress there is today. To answer your question, she’s that good and the realest deal there is."

Hi, Taylor's Mom! 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#15Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:40am

I mean, Louderman is great in the role, funny, and belts her face off. I don't really think it's a Tony-winning performance myself, but it's infinitely better than Jessie Mueller's woefully miscast Julie Jordan.

Lindsay is a goddess
#16Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:41am

haterobics said: "Lindsay is a goddess said: "But I guess I'm just having trouble imagining what one can do with that character that would be thrilling enough to justify a Tony nomination."

I'm having trouble sorting out why you have to imagine... any of this?
"

I guess I'm just trying to make sense of the praise. I mean I'm not trying to degrade her by any means. I'm sure she's amazing as Regina, but the unfortunate reality is that not every amazing performance gets Tony nominated. And more what I'm getting at is that Regina George doesn't seem like the kind of role that would excite Tony voters, so Louderman must be doing something really special with it to attract this kind of attention.

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#17Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 1:06pm

I wasn't totally sold on Mean Girls, but Louderman is walking away with that entire show. And, it's not easy with it being really more of an ensemble piece. From the minute she makes her first appearance to the final scene, she owns that stage and rules it appropriately. Definitely the best performance I've seen this season.

However, with Cady not really being a lead role (or at least how it feels and how it is performed), I'd petition Taylor for lead and Ashley for supporting. Both of them are giving Tony-worthy performances in those categories.

robskynyc
#18Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 1:08pm

Lindsay is a goddess said: "Okay, since I've posted this multiple times already and no one has answered me, it's getting its own thread. Can someone PLEASE explain to me why Taylor Louderman is considered such a frontrunner for nomination for Best Leading Actress. Almost everyone has her on their list, over the likes of Jessie Mueller and Patti Murin. I get that maybe Jessie Mueller feels wasted in Carousel, but how good can Louderman really be in Mean Girls? No disrespect to Tina Fey, but how does a high school Queen Bee measure up to those performances? Is Louderman really just that incredible?"

Taylor Louderman

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#19Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 1:12pm

Lindsay is a goddess said: "I guess I'm just trying to make sense of the praise. I mean I'm not trying to degrade her by any means. I'm sure she's amazing as Regina, but the unfortunate reality is that not every amazing performance gets Tony nominated. And more what I'm getting at is that Regina George doesn't seem like the kind of role that would excite Tony voters, so Louderman must be doing something really special with it to attract this kind of attention."

It's a little strange to me to have negative feelings about a performance that you haven't actually seen. If someone saw the show and was then making the same argument, "I don't think she's worth of the praise she's getting," then ok... that's a perfectly valid argument worth discussing. 

But how can you "not make sense of the praise" when you haven't seen it? Even without considering that the musical is an adaptation and therefore roles are handled differently than the movie, Regina George is one of the main roles (arguably the most important) in the source material. Your question is a little baffling. 

Lindsay is a goddess
#20Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 2:41pm

JudyDenmark said: "Lindsay is a goddess said: "I guess I'm just trying to make sense of the praise. I mean I'm not trying to degrade her by any means. I'm sure she's amazing as Regina, but the unfortunate reality is that not every amazing performance gets Tony nominated. And more what I'm getting at is that Regina George doesn't seem like the kind of role that would excite Tony voters, so Louderman must be doing something really special with it to attract this kind of attention."

It's a little strange to me to have negative feelings about a performance that you haven't actually seen. If someone saw the show and was then making the same argument, "I don't think she's worth of the praise she's getting," then ok... that's a perfectly valid argument worth discussing.

But how can you "not make sense of the praise" when you haven't seen it? Even without considering that the musical is an adaptation and therefore roles are handled differently than the movie,Regina George is one of the main roles (arguably the most important) in the source material.Your question is a little baffling.
"

I never said I felt she was unworthy. In fact, the only reason I'm asking is because I haven't seen it. Everyone is predicting Taylor Louderman to get nominated for Best Leading Actress, and Regina just never struck me as a particularly award-friendly role, so I wanted to hear other people's opinions to better inform my own Tony predictions. I really am not trying to bash Louderman at all. I have nothing but respect for Louderman so I'm sorry if that's not the way it came off.

Awards shows tend to gravitate towards a certain type of role, and I guess I just saw Julie and Anna as fitting that mold more than Regina. It was a comment on the character and the nature of the voting committee, not a comment on the quality of Louderman's performance, which I am in no way in any position to judge.

Impossible2
#21Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 3:30pm

I thought her voice was just absolutely incredible, but I didn't rate her at all on her acting chops. Regina's role is kinda trimmed down to nothing and her thunder is completely stolen by Karen.

But then everyone's thunder was stolen by Karen.

robskynyc
#22Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:00pm

Impossible2 said: "But then everyone's thunder was stolen by Karen."

100000% i was always watching what she was doing in the background. when she was putting the crown on the poop emoji purse!!!! lol and oh god when they girls go "wild" and act like animals at the mall, Karen smacking her face into the glass of the popcorn/pretzel machine i was in TEARS!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#23Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:05pm

Agreed, impossible and Rob. Rockwell’s Karen was by far the standout performance of the show.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#24Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:34pm

The TONY committee loves Jesse Mueller and Patti Murin is the Best thing in FROZEN. Should be an interesting category.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#25Taylor Louderman
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:52pm

Liza's Headband said: "singer234 said: "Her comedic timing is impeccable, she is effortless, gorgeous, has one of the strongest contemporary musical theatre voices to ever hit the Broadway stage, manages to be both commercial and incredibly singular and unique at the same time. Let’s not forget this is the girl who was starring in Kinky Boots, the Clueless reading as Cher, the Pretty Woman reading, all within a year or so. She is probably the most sought after contemporary musical theatre actress there is today. To answer your question, she’s that good and the realest deal there is."

Hi, Taylor's Mom!
"

I would say Taylor is a great performer, but I would not say that she is the most sought after contemporary musical theatre actress out there.. I wouldn't even say she's that in demand. She is talented, yes. But talent doesn't mean in demand. She's been a working actress for the last year, which is great on her, people aren't lining up to cast her.

Videos