pixeltracker

West Side Story on BBC Proms, and rec me a cast album?

West Side Story on BBC Proms, and rec me a cast album?

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#1West Side Story on BBC Proms, and rec me a cast album?
Posted: 8/11/18 at 5:16pm

Did anyone listen to the stream of West Side Story today from BBC Proms? I thought it was wonderful. I've been a fan of Eden Espinosa since I saw her in Merrily We Roll Along in Boston, so that's one reason I tuned in. I'd never super bonded with WSS before but now I suddenly have.

Recs for which cast album I should get? Open to any, but not to the movie soundtrack. I think it was the movie that made me bounce off the show years ago.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2West Side Story on BBC Proms, and rec me a cast album?
Posted: 8/11/18 at 7:10pm

rcwr said: "Did anyone listen to the stream of West Side Story today from BBC Proms? I thought it was wonderful. I've been a fan of Eden Espinosa since I saw her in Merrily We Roll Along in Boston, so that's one reason I tuned in.I'd never super bonded with WSS before butnow I suddenly have.

Recs for which cast album I should get? Open to any, but not to the movie soundtrack. I think it was the movie that made me bounce off the show years ago.
"

The Original Broadway Cast Album from 1957 would be my personal recommendation to you if you want to get re-acquainted with the score. Some edits have been made though, for example, The Dance at the Gym is only the "Mambo" and excludes the rest of the music used in that sequence. 

The 2009 New Broadway Cast Recording is a mixed bag at best and Matthew Cavenaugh's awkward line readings during the dialogue segments are cringe-worthy - also the unnecessary inclusion of Spanish lyrics provided by Lin-Manuel Miranda are jarring to say the least - especially during the Quintet.

Updated On: 8/11/18 at 07:10 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#3West Side Story on BBC Proms, and rec me a cast album?
Posted: 8/12/18 at 12:24am

OBC is the perfect start. If you want the fullest possible recording of the score as written, then the recording by the San Francisco Symphony (under the direction of Michael Tilson Thomas) is the best example of that kind.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#4West Side Story on BBC Proms, and rec me a cast album?
Posted: 8/12/18 at 12:26am

i love the original cast recording and the recent 2013 one mentioned above. it’s one of those shows where i don’t think there is a perfect recording, every one has its flaws.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#5West Side Story on BBC Proms, and rec me a cast album?
Posted: 8/12/18 at 12:31am

Thanks everyone! I'm going to start with the OBCR.