pixeltracker

US OPEN. OY VEY! Those disgusting "fans" booing the new CHAMPION.- Page 2

US OPEN. OY VEY! Those disgusting "fans" booing the new CHAMPION.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#25US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/9/18 at 4:44pm

Jay Lernez-Z, the number of sets contested is very much the apple of discord in the ongoing debate over the pay disparity between the two professional tours.  The French Open and Wimbledon tournament organizers are ultra conservative and continue to award the men more prize money than the women.  However, the Aussie Open and US Open went to the other extreme by awarding equal prize money which made several male pros object based on the disparity in the number of sets played per match.  The two tours have never been able to agree on a suitable metric on which to base prize money.  Both Williams sisters stepped into the fray years ago advocating for equal prize money at all 4 majors.  If the number of sets per match is not a reasonable metric then what exactly is with respect to equal pay?

Venus, Serena Williams join Billie Jean King's equal pay push

ETA: The players can only command the prize money that the marketplace is willing to offer up.  Tennis as a spectator sport has grown immensely over the course of 40 years.  It now competes with the big three sports in the US for ad revenue generated from eyeballs glued to screens and butts in seats.  And the top players earn far more off the court in sponsorship deals, endorsements, and product placement, especially high-end brands like Maria Sharapova and Roger Federer.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 9/9/18 at 04:44 PM

Pauly3
#26US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/10/18 at 10:00pm

Regarding equal pay, I tend to side with the argument that the pay should be equal.  Certainly, the men average more sets played than do woman, but is a ticket to a men's match more expensive than to a woman's match?  Is the attendance better?  Is the income generated from TV more for men's matches?  It seems to me the metric should be based on the revenues generated (at least in part).  If substantially different, then my alliance would go the way of the gender who is generating the most revenue.

Regarding the women's championship fiasco, I put the blame squarely on the referee.  This was the championship of the biggest tennis event on the planet, and the greatest woman player to ever play the game is back at it.  Accusations of on-court coaching has been controversial and often ignored in the recent past.  It's the championship.  Let the players decide the outcome.  Regardless of whether the warning should have been issued or not, the fiasco should not have ultimately cost Serena a game, despite the subsequent racket abuse and verbal abuse.  Serena was spot on when claiming she was the victim of sexism.  I have watched professional tennis for decades, and I have seen some really awful behavior from men in the past, and I have never seen a game be forfeited because of it.

On the other hand, Serena's behavior (and the spotlight on it) stole what should have been the happiest moment in a first-time grand slam champions life away from Naomi Osaka.  I blame the crowd far more than Serena for that bit though.  I also can't help but wish Serena could have tempered her frustration as I think the lessen going forward, for all players, is to take the warning - object if you feel the warning was not justified - and move on.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#27US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/11/18 at 8:51am

"Javero,your point (5) falls flat - all players are over-compensated, both male and female. The argument that "they only play three sets" is ridiculous - as if the men have actually earned the ridiculous six-figure sums they give out in prize money. It's not an hourly rate."

Let me politely disagree with you. To earn these big checks, these players have to win the tournament. Let's compare that to some relief pitcher in baseball who makes millions of dollars in a year to pitch one inning most times he plays and if he stinks it does not matter because he has guaranteed contract. No, it is not an hourly rate but men are giving customers more entertainment for their dollar than the women. In 2017, the US Open women's final lasted around 50 minutes in total and in comparison the men's final was several hours. In addition, the men's game is a bigger draw than the women's game and that is another argument regarding equal pay.

Updated On: 9/11/18 at 08:51 AM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#28US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/11/18 at 8:53am

"I will add that with her statement that she does not accept coaching from the stands, of ALL people, her coach should know this so why was he doing it if it wasn't needed?"

Serena Williams has won 23 Grand Slam titles and her coach suddenly thinks she can't figure out what to do in a match, just shaking my head - lol.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#29US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/11/18 at 8:55am

(1) Osaka was winning from start to finish

Exactly and sad that this controversy took away from her wonderful performance. I am curious to know what the reaction of this was in Japan, probably a very good example of the "Ugly American".

(4) she's not the first woman to have given birth on this planet"

Let me add that there have been other women's players that are mothers and have won Grand Slam title like Kim Clisters for example and I did not see the media fawn all over her.

Updated On: 9/11/18 at 08:55 AM

Islander_fan
#30US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/11/18 at 12:13pm

I had been under the impression (based upon what two friends told me who were there) that, the crowd wasn't booing because Williams lost. I got the feeling that they were booing because they were upset about how the whole situation unfolded and was handled. 

There are a lot of great young tennis players, like Osaka who are starting to become the next generation of great tennis players. In fact, if it wasn't for the situation regarding Williams, I honestly feel that that would have been the main story coming out of this match. However, due to the issues regarding the ref and Williams, that spotlight was on her, not on Osaka. 

With regards to coaching during a grand slam event, regardless of whether or not Williams knew that she was being coached or not. With her coach saying that he was in fact coaching her, and that, although against  the rules it happens all the time, is something that, if addressed by the WTA, that's something I don't have ay issue with. And, this happening, isn't a men's side VS woman's side. It happens all the time for both parties. I think that, if the WTA knew of it being an issue that happens all the time at grand slam events, if they wanted to address the issue, that's fine by me. However, doing it at the championship match of a grand slam doesn't make them look good. To me, it's the same as if an NFL player took a knee during the national anthem of the super bowl. Yes, normally there'd be fines associated with it. But, the NFL would want the story to be about the game itself and not address the player taking a knee. Something that may occur during any other NFL game.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#31US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/11/18 at 1:14pm

"I had been under the impression (based upon what two friends told me who were there) that, the crowd wasn't booing because Williams lost. I got the feeling that they were booing because they were upset about how the whole situation unfolded and was handled. "

The only problem with that is Osaka thinks they are booing her and is upset. These people should have booed while the issue was happening and not during the trophy presentation.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#32US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/11/18 at 1:32pm

In addition, the men's game is a bigger draw than the women's game and that is another argument regarding equal pay.

You're right. All the more reason to have equal pay, so they women's game can stop being seen as "lesser than".

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

javero Profile Photo
javero
#33US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/11/18 at 9:20pm

Pauly3 wrote: "I have watched professional tennis for decades, and I have seen some really awful behavior from men in the past, and I have never seen a game be forfeited because of it."

John McEnroe disqualified from the Australian Open

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

Pauly3
#34US OPEN. Cilic match!! (Spoiler alert.)
Posted: 9/12/18 at 1:51am

Yep, you got me on this one.  I now do recall McEnroe being disqualified.