pixeltracker

Freaky Friday Broadway. What if?

Freaky Friday Broadway. What if?

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#1Freaky Friday Broadway. What if?
Posted: 9/5/18 at 10:55pm

I have been thinking about this production this week and I was wondering, if it transferd to broadway instead of going the movie route would it have been a hit? I personally think its better than most disney shows on broadway now.

Thoughts?

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Freaky Friday Broadway. What if?
Posted: 9/5/18 at 10:59pm

It's an extremely well-written musical with an earworm-heavy score. You're not wrong that it's way better than anything Disney has on Broadway right now. I was disappointed when I learned that they were going the licensing/TV route rather than Broadway, just because it's so strong. If it ever made it to Broadway, I strongly doubt it'd be a long-runner like the current Disney properties, but I think it could have a really healthy run.

Updated On: 9/5/18 at 10:59 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Freaky Friday Broadway. What if?
Posted: 9/6/18 at 12:30am

Based on the Disney TV film of it: i thought it was pretty atrocious. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#4Freaky Friday Broadway. What if?
Posted: 9/6/18 at 12:41am

dramamama611 said: "Based on the Disney TV film of it: i thought it was pretty atrocious."

The Disney Channel movie is a mere shell of the show I know and love. The stage version is superior in every way. I hope you get a chance to see the original two-act stage show at some point, if only to more appreciation for what hard work was put into the full product. 

If it had come to NYC I think it would've done fairly well. People love the Lohan movie, and would associate a musical with that. I could've seen it running at least a couple years and then touring.  

Alessio2
#5Freaky Friday Broadway. What if?
Posted: 9/6/18 at 1:54am

I absolutely LOVED this show when I saw it in La Jolla and I agree it is better than anything Disney has on Broadway at the moment.  Far superior to Frozen in every way.  With very few changes (if any) I think this would have been a huge hit on Broadway.  All I thought they needed was a beefed up ensemble ( just a few more cast member) and a bit of stage magic and this show would be pretty close to perfect!

grumpyoptimist
#6Freaky Friday Broadway. What if?
Posted: 9/6/18 at 2:35am

I saw it in La Jolla as well...twice (some friends wanted to see it).  I loved Blickenstaff, the rest of the show for me was ok/fun, not OMG I'm gonna see this on Broadway soon level of good.  I would have liked to have seen Jason Gotay in the cool boy role, though.  I respectfully disagree it would have had much long term success on Broadway (I don't even think it sold out the La Jolla run, which Summer, Margaritaville and Hunchback before it all did)

Videos