pixeltracker

Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews. - Page 5

Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#100Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 8/26/19 at 12:43pm

Skip23 said: "Crazy how much better the show is with the touring cast. Saw it in Boston today.

Maybe Zaks toned down the Broadway cast.

The tour cast is running on high energy with breakneck pacing (which works for this show - you dont want to think too much about what’s really going on) and impeccable comic timing. Lewis Stadlen is a national treasure. The last of a dying vaudeville taught breed. Every line is hysterical. Nic Rouleau captures that naive and slightly strange aspect of Cornelius but with a killer voice and charm for days. Anilasa Leamimg as Irene made me cry one minute singing “Ribbons” and then roaring with her comedy. The dancers are choreographed with a bit more focus and spirit which works greatly to the audience’s benefit. The waiters finally stop the show with the Gallop.

Soo glad I went back again. Except for Bernadette and David, the Broadway casts never wow-ed me.

"

I don't agree with a lot of this either.  I saw the tour a few times;  including this last week in Boston and I never thought it reached the level of the original revival cast.   But it is a gorgeous tour.  One of the best I have very seen.   Betty did her thing and I was happy to have seen her.  I have never liked Lewis as Horace.  But I understand I am in the very minority.   I hope I get to catch the new cast at some point.  But right now I am Dolly'd up.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Dollypop
#101Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 8/26/19 at 3:23pm

",,,but right now I'm Dolly'd up"

May that NEVER happen to me!!!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#102Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 8/31/19 at 2:38pm

Updated website with Carolee's name (below the title) -- https://hellodollyonbroadway.com

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#103Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 8/31/19 at 4:34pm

Below the title? That hurts.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#104Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 8/31/19 at 4:41pm

Ugh. That just seems so Rude(in).

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#105Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 9/2/19 at 11:04am

Pure speculation, but I saw John Bolton was a recent follower of Carolee and Analisa on Instagram. Could he be the new Horace?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#106Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 9/2/19 at 11:09am

While I don't want to further speculation over something so minor, John Bolton would be a FANTASTIC Horace!

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#107Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 9/4/19 at 12:27pm

Announcement:

John Bolton (Horace Vandergelder), Daniel Beeman (Cornelius Hackl), Analisa Leaming (reprising her role as Irene Molloy), Sean Burns (Barnaby Tucker), Chelsea Cree Groen (Minnie Fay), Colin LeMoine (Ambrose Kemper), Laura Sky Herman (Ermengarde), Jane Brockman (Ernestina), and Blake Hammond (Rudolph).

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Carolee-Carmello-Led-HELLO-DOLLY-on-Tour-Announces-Full-Cast-for-Second-Year-20190904

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#108Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 9/4/19 at 12:49pm

Cannot think of a better counterpart to Carolee than John Bolton. Cannot wait for this production; already have my Hartford tickets!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#109Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 9/20/19 at 2:38pm

Was waiting to buy a ticket for Dolly next month in OKC until finances allowed it plus I am trying to save for my NYC trip which starts a week from today(!). By the time I started looking, all the really good seats were gone (many probably went to season subscribers) so I figured I’d have to wait until after my trip, but I have been looking daily as they usually release more as the dates approach. This morning I nabbed a ticket for front row left orchestra pit - my seat is in the middle of the row. Never sat in that exact seat, but I think it’ll be a very good view. $99 total including all fees. I’ll check again as sometimes even better seats open up and with Waitress they let me exchange my already great seat for front row pit center orchestra - even exchange. Regardless, I’m looking forward to my return to Harmonia Gardens. I have this plus Megan Hilty with the Oklahoma City Philharmonic to look forward to after my NYC trip, which will help take the sting out (a little) of the end of my trip. Also, looking forward to seeing Carolee Carmello who I loved in Sweeney Todd.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#110Hello, Dolly! Tour reviews.
Posted: 10/28/19 at 3:46pm

I flew to Tucson this weekend to see this gorgeous production one last (likely, final) time. Saw Bette once, Betty twice on tour in SF, and now Carolee. All different but honestly I loved Carolee’s performance the most. I’m biased because I think she’s awesome on stage. Her voice was in fine form, and she's great in the book scenes, milking the right amount of comedy without going over the top (except of course during the dumpling eating and gravy slurping which all three actresses I saw did). 

Continued kudos to Mr Zaks and the casting team. I thought all the replacements from when I saw the tour last time were exceptional. All the leads are new except for Analisa Leaming who I really enjoy as Irene, so I'm glad she's still with the show. Sean Burns is beyond adorable as Barnaby. I saw both Jess and Julian (understudy), and still love Julian's interpretation the best. His facial expressions are impossible to ignore. 

The production is in excellent physical shape heading into its final seven or so  months. I still love the massive lumbering Vandergelder's set piece, and the train still illicits oohs and aahs.

With the exception of the very spirited (read kinda drunk!) gay couple next to me, it seemed like the audience was sitting on its hands at times. The Waiter’s Gallop as always generated thunderous applause. And for good reason. But I was surprised at the low energy in the audience. 

Centennial Hall is a true barn. 2,500 seats. If you’ve never been and one day go, definitely sit orchestra center in the front rows. Unfortunately the first 10 rows or so are not very raked and of course, the tallest man in the house sat in front of me. The seats are also not offset so you sit directly behind the person in front of you. He clearly was not enjoying himself — his companion’s frequent leers seemed to be saying “cheer up” — but he often slumped over, I think he was nodding off. Fine with me, improved my view. 

I was in Row E but I felt farther back, as there is a full orchestra pit and then the stage including a small passerelle.