Sunset boulevard movie 2020

Stanton3
#100Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 1/19/19 at 10:01pm

I agree

Stanton3
#101Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 1/19/19 at 10:07pm

How can I & not get into trouble?    I released 10 minutes of it on youtube and it was pulled down.  I wasn't even saying I had the entire show (Which by the way the revival with Glenn Close is available on youtube)  I only posted a clip.  

Stanton3
#102Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 1/20/19 at 5:19pm

If someone wants one that can pm me

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#103Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/9/19 at 2:54pm

Glenn Close was on 'The View' yesterday, and Joy Behar brought up 'Sunset Boulevard'. She asked whether there was going to be a movie, and Close said, "I hope so" (which didn't sound too confident), and then went on about 'exploring the character' 22 years later, the complexities of Norma Desmond, and so on.

Never went back to the status of the movie. I have a feeling if things were more concrete, she would have shared the news. 

Stanton3
#104Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/9/19 at 4:17pm

Well I think what they should do is re-build the original Broadway set.  Have it play for a limited time and film all the performances.  Then edit together a film version.  Instead of doing a theatrical release it could be done for NETFLIX

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#105Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/9/19 at 4:25pm

Stanton3 said: "Well I think what they should do is re-build the original Broadway set. Have it play for a limited time and film all the performances. Then edit together a film version. Instead of doing a theatrical release it could be done for NETFLIX"

I completely agree with you Stanton.  That was basically what they did with Love Never Dies - which I think was an effective way of filming the production.  Combine elements of the revival with the original production, get an all star cast, have a symphonic orchestra, pack the theatre for a couple of weeks (film one or two without an audience) and edit it together to preserve it - and stop all the overthinking of this.  I've thought a full-fledged new movie version of the musical was going to be incredibly challenging and unsatisfying to fans of the musical and movie purists anyway.

Stanton3
#106Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/9/19 at 4:44pm

What I think the revival did that I thought was impressive was when Joe was waiting for Betty and we were getting "Flashbacks".  I thought WOW that is very impressive.  

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#107Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/9/19 at 5:18pm

chernjam said: "Stanton3 said: "Well I think what they should do is re-build the original Broadway set. Have it play for a limited time and film all the performances. Then edit together a film version. Instead of doing a theatrical release it could be done for NETFLIX"

I completely agree with you Stanton. That was basically what they did with Love Never Dies - which I think was an effective way of filming the production. Combine elements of the revival with the original production, get an all star cast, have a symphonic orchestra, pack the theatre for a couple of weeks (film one or two without an audience) and edit it together to preserve it - and stop all the overthinking of this. I've thought a full-fledged new movie version of the musical was going to be incredibly challenging and unsatisfying to fans of the musical and movie purists anyway.
"

Interesting points. I always say the language of this artform (acting through song) is not literal, so the only way it works on film is either that it is meant to be a performance in the film or make the song a "thought", a non-literal musical sequence. Non literal sets and pre-recorded tracks support this given and make the sung thought feel better than life on film. This essential separation is what makes this artform sincere and believable on screen. This has nothing to do with the sound literally coming out of the mouth in a realistic way. With musical on film, it works just as other music in a film works, as a thought/voice over. Music as a sung thought in film is never a live performance, as if the characters experience the actual music in the room. Because that will make the acting insincere (Les Miserables). There need to be factors that support the non literal language. That separation is what makes it filmic instead of a theatre performance on a filmset.

In Sunset Boulevard much of the music is sung dialogue. The worst thing you can do is making this too literal by live singing in eachothers face on a filmset that is meant to be as literal as real life. Because this language per definition is not. So what you describe is actually a great idea for Sunset Boulevard.

Updated On: 2/9/19 at 05:18 PM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#108Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/9/19 at 7:58pm

Stanton3 said: "What I think the revival did that I thought was impressive was when Joe was waiting for Betty and we were getting "Flashbacks". I thought WOW that is very impressive."

That was definitely one major improvement.  Honestly, the performances across the board (under Lonnie Princes direction) were vastly better than under Trevor Nunn's in the original.  Much more human, vulnerable that you actually cared about the characters as broken individuals who look for something or someone to fill that brokenness until it all snaps.  Nunn had Norma as simply a deranged self-absorbed monster that you thought was just a mega-bitch.  So I enjoyed the revival (4 times in 4 months) in a lot of ways more than the original.  But Napier's original sets, ****, I'd pay $150 for a ticket just to see them again.  They were absolutely breath taking.  

Stanton3
#109Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/9/19 at 8:52pm

I wonder what happened to that original set.   I hate to think it ended up in a dumpster! 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#110Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/11/19 at 9:43am

chernjam said: "Stanton3 said: "What I think the revival did that I thought was impressive was when Joe was waiting for Betty and we were getting "Flashbacks". I thought WOW that is very impressive."

That was definitely one major improvement. Honestly, the performances across the board (under Lonnie Princes direction) were vastly better than under Trevor Nunn's in the original. Much more human, vulnerable that you actually cared about the characters as broken individuals who look for something or someone to fill that brokenness until it all snaps. Nunn had Norma as simply a deranged self-absorbed monster that you thought was just a mega-bitch. So I enjoyed the revival (4 times in 4 months) in a lot of ways more than the original. But Napier's original sets, ****, I'd pay $150 for a ticket just to see them again. They were absolutely breath taking.
"

That was my favorite part of the revival design. Joe sitting zombie-like on the couch while surreal reenactments of past events went on all around him. It was very effective.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#111Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/11/19 at 9:43am

chernjam said: "Stanton3 said: "Well I think what they should do is re-build the original Broadway set. Have it play for a limited time and film all the performances. Then edit together a film version. Instead of doing a theatrical release it could be done for NETFLIX"

I completely agree with you Stanton. That was basically what they did with Love Never Dies - which I think was an effective way of filming the production. Combine elements of the revival with the original production, get an all star cast, have a symphonic orchestra, pack the theatre for a couple of weeks (film one or two without an audience) and edit it together to preserve it - and stop all the overthinking of this. I've thought a full-fledged new movie version of the musical was going to be incredibly challenging and unsatisfying to fans of the musical and movie purists anyway.
"

Yes please!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

A Director
#112Sunset boulevard movie 2020
Posted: 2/11/19 at 11:52am

Set up a GoFundMe page to finance Sunset Boulevard!