Finn's Royal Family of Broadway

king_cohn Profile Photo
king_cohn
#1Finn's Royal Family of Broadway
Posted: 1/29/19 at 4:49pm

Did anyone here see it? Considering the years of workshops Royal Family went through, it seems like it came and went relatively quietly.

Also, is there any type of future for the show, regional or amateur?

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#2Finn's Royal Family of Broadway
Posted: 1/29/19 at 9:45pm

I saw it last year at Barrington Stage.  I enjoyed it very much, but I'm a die-hard fan of William Finn's music and of Harriet Harris, who starred in it.  I was hoping for at least an off-Broadway transfer, but the reviews were not kind, and this was one of a number failed attempts to make this show happen. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not seen again.

OuttaTowner
#3Finn's Royal Family of Broadway
Posted: 1/30/19 at 1:18am

I also saw it in the Berkshires last summer. Despite a killer cast (including Will Swenson), the whole enterprise seemed leaden and rather lifeless. It went on far too long, with too few laughs or memorable tunes. After so many workshops, perhaps the creative team decided to just let it go.

P.S. - not that you asked, but wish some enterprising producers would remount Barrington Stage’s Pirates of Penzance from a few summers back, also starring Swenson. Perfectly cast, designed and executed, it was a total audience ear-to-ear smile from start to finish. Someone grab Kyle Massey, Scarlett Strallen, Jane Carr and David Garrison, and sail this thing onto the Great White Way!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#4Finn's Royal Family of Broadway
Posted: 1/30/19 at 8:15am

Drove up to Barrington to see it. It was abysmal. The poor cast was doing their best to make it funny, but it just wasn't funny... at all. And most of the music was completely forgettable. A complete miss, in my opinion.

Emmaloucbway
#5Finn's Royal Family of Broadway
Posted: 1/30/19 at 9:43am

OuttaTowner said: "I also saw it in the Berkshires last summer. Despite a killer cast (including Will Swenson), the whole enterprise seemed leaden and rather lifeless. It went on far too long, with too few laughs or memorable tunes. After so many workshops, perhaps the creative team decided to just let it go.

P.S. - not that you asked, but wish some enterprising producers would remount Barrington Stage’s Pirates of Penzance from a few summers back, also starring Swenson. Perfectly cast, designed and executed, it was a total audience ear-to-ear smile from start to finish. Someone grab Kyle Massey, Scarlett Strallen, Jane Carr and David Garrison, and sail this thing onto the Great White Way!
"

I agree with both statements in this post; saw both productions at Barrington. I enjoyed Act 1 of Royal Family, but Act 2 seemed very slow and unmemorable. I've been wishing for a Pirates of Penzance Broadway transfer for YEARS now.