pixeltracker

Kinky Boots White-Washing- Page 3

Kinky Boots White-Washing

binau Profile Photo
binau
#50Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 1:24pm

“The most racist English speaking country on Earth”. Do you work for getup! So sad to see this fine country being slandered. Have you ever considered moving to Trump’s USA if you’re looking for alternative ‘non-racist’ countries? Or perhaps England post-brexit.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#51Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 1:32pm

qolbinau said: "“The most racist English speaking country on Earth”. Do you work for getup! So sad to see this fine country being slandered. Have you ever considered moving to Trump’s USA if you’re looking for alternative ‘non-racist’ countries? Or perhaps England post-brexit. "

There’s no need to be hysterical. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Bwaydreamer3 Profile Photo
Bwaydreamer3
#52Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 2:42pm

As an actress of color I just want to say a few things. Should Lola be played by a non-poc? Absolutely not. Lola is supposed to be black... its in the lyrics. You cannot deny that. If you don't have the people for the show... DONT DO IT. Plain and simple. (Priscilla is a great show, same vibe, and guess what??? Anyone can be any color. Wow, what a concept!) This rhetoric of, "well it's okay" "It doesnt matter all that much" is so damaging for poc actors in this community. Non poc will never understand how racist this theatre community can be. Just because Hamilton has had so much success does not mean this problem is fixed. In fact, it only sheds light on the problem even more. I love theatre so much, but its hard to to keep that love when it is so easy for this community to disregard poc and their stories. 

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#53Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 3:41pm

Australia is the worlds largest island with a population of just over 25million. There are communities represented by many countries living throughout the land bringing with them cultures which were strange to the majority of white Australians.

We also travel a lot to different countries to learn about different societies and even though surrounded by so many races, 99.9% all return to say, 'this is the best country in the world'.

It's impossible to say 'Australia is the most raciest etc etc in the world'. Are you speaking for each of the 25million Australians?

Debate all you want but there will always be some who will never accept change or at least be tolerant of different ideas, so you shouldn't lob 'some' into 'all'.

Racism exists in every country, I don't know how Australia can be the 'worst'.

I ring my 100yo Mum about this time every morning[5.30am] which I did whilst typing this and I said 'who got you up this morning?-she lives in assisted living-and she said, 'a lovely black lady'.

Please take offense if you must.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#54Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 3:45pm

Bwaydreamer3 said: "Should Lola be played by a non-poc? Absolutely not. Lola is supposed to be black... "

Do you know who this is?

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#55Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 3:56pm

John Adams said: "Bwaydreamer3 said: "Should Lola be played by a non-poc? Absolutely not. Lola is supposed to be black... "

Do you know who this is?

"

It's definitely not my Mother !

#56Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 4:03pm

While we appreciate the discussion of the appropriateness of a casting decision relative to race, but the thread is not about how racist or not a specific country is, we think this discussion has run its course.

As such, we're going to lock this one.

-Mods

Updated On: 4/12/19 at 04:03 PM