Rating for Dear Evan Hansen

MBFan
#1Rating for Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/8/19 at 4:31pm

If Dear Evan Hansen was a movie, what would be the rating? Is there a lot of bad language? I want to see if it's appropriate for a young teen. Thx.

Bigserver1
#2Rating for Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/8/19 at 4:41pm

There are a good handful of "F Bombs" in it, but it's a church service compared to the average dialogue between teenagers lol. I think you should be fine. 

Broadway61004
#3Rating for Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/8/19 at 4:45pm

MBFan said: "If Dear Evan Hansen was a movie, what would be the rating? Is there a lot of bad language? I want to see if it's appropriate for a young teen. Thx."

Based strictly off of how the MPAA rates movies, it would be R due to language and subject matter. With that said, though, I think most teenagers would be fine seeing it, although it of course depends on each individual teenager. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Rating for Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/8/19 at 4:59pm

PG13, I can't see it getting an R rating.   

But it really depends on the teen (and the family) in question.  Do they talk about serious issues or do they shield?  Are f-bombs a deal breaker?  What is the majority level of said young teen?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Rainah
#5Rating for Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/8/19 at 6:11pm

There are quite a lot of sexual references as well. Suggestion that evan broke his arm from "jerking off too much" while looking at zoey's instagram, and some lines in sincerely me, as well as quite a few more I don't remember. I saw the show with a kid in the row ahead and it was uncomfortable.