pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/15/19- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/15/19

Jarethan
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/15/19
Posted: 9/19/19 at 2:50pm

Have to admit that I forgot about JLP, but I was referring to the size of the theatre.  Smaller than the Shubert, but not too small. It will be interesting to see what happens with business post-Daniels, but Ed Harris has arguably been more successful film actor than Daniels (4 Oscar nominations vs. none, although Daniels does have 2 Emmys).  I have always believed that it is the show that is selling tickets, with Daniels as a bonus to incent his fans to attend.  Time  will tell.

Sub-consciously, I may also have been reminded how much I didn't like (could not stand) JLP at the ART in Cambridge.  Unless it benefits from a lot of re-work -- which rarely seems to be the case these days, e.g., MR and Tootsie -- I don't expect it to  last long.  No star  names in the cast, a real downer of a show that covers way too much ground.  Alanis Morrisette's name will sell tickets, but I am not sure how many...that is a long time ago.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/15/19
Posted: 9/19/19 at 2:53pm

Kad said: "For Harold Hill, you don't just need a leading man- you need a showman."

Would you say the role needs the....greatest showman?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/15/19
Posted: 9/19/19 at 3:13pm

Jarethan said: "I don't expect it to last long. No star names in the cast, a real downer of a show that covers way too much ground. Alanis Morrisette's name will sell tickets, but I am not sure how many...that is a long time ago."

Yeah, I'm very skeptical about JLP. Morrisette is no Sara Bareilles or Elton John, in terms of popularity nowadays. It could end up like The Capeman or Holler If Ya Hear Me. It will probably start out ok, limp through the Tonys, and close between June 14 and Labor Day. It's also not a show that appeals to older audiences (though it has the benefit of Jesse Green already liking it, unlike Be More Chill), and young people & social media can't recoup a Broadway musical.

kylegfil_
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/15/19
Posted: 9/19/19 at 3:19pm

I think the issue with Harry Potter is simply the commitment.  That married to the first year of the show's run creating the illusion that it was impossible to get tickets.  

mailhandler777
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/15/19
Posted: 9/20/19 at 10:39am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Jarethan said: "I don't expect it to last long. No star names in the cast, a real downer of a show that covers way too much ground. Alanis Morrisette's name will sell tickets, but I am not sure how many...that is a long time ago."

Yeah, I'm very skeptical about JLP. Morrisette is no Sara Bareilles or Elton John, in terms of popularity nowadays. It could end up likeThe CapemanorHoller If Ya Hear Me.It will probably start out ok, limp through the Tonys, and close between June 14 and Labor Day. It's also not a show that appeals to older audiences (though it has the benefit of Jesse Green already liking it, unlikeBe More Chill), and young people & social media can't recoup a Broadway musical.
"

I'm part of the "older" audience and I know plenty of people in that category that love the show. Being someone that was in my 20s when the album came out I think you are underestimating the show. I could ask 100 people on the street if they heard of Sara and Alanis and 90 would know who Alanis is and possibly 20 would know who Sara is. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

SouthernCakes
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/15/19
Posted: 9/20/19 at 11:14am

I think that’s pretty accurate. I don’t move Alanis’s music but I’d be curious to see the show for the creative team.

AEA AGMA SM
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/15/19
Posted: 9/20/19 at 11:52am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Jarethan said: "I don't expect it to last long. No star names in the cast, a real downer of a show that covers way too much ground. Alanis Morrisette's name will sell tickets, but I am not sure how many...that is a long time ago."

Yeah, I'm very skeptical about JLP. Morrisette is no Sara Bareilles or Elton John, in terms of popularity nowadays. It could end up likeThe CapemanorHoller If Ya Hear Me.It will probably start out ok, limp through the Tonys, and close between June 14 and Labor Day. It's also not a show that appeals to older audiences (though it has the benefit of Jesse Green already liking it, unlikeBe More Chill), and young people & social media can't recoup a Broadway musical.
"

I think you're misjudging just which audience is the target for a musical utilizing "Jagged Little Pill." If it's being marketed right, the ideal demographic is really younger Gen X/older Millenials (and that weird gap in between that folks my own age fall into). The fans of that album, and Aanis Morrisette in general, are now in their early 30s to late 40s, even early 50s; those of use who were in high school and college during that era (seriously, that CD defined my high school years). That is the demographic which can sustain a profitable run, again assuming the marketing team is doing their jobs properly.