pixeltracker

Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?

Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?
Posted: 4/5/20 at 12:07pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/congress-gave-25-million-to-help-the-kennedy-center-weather-the-coronavirus-now-some-politicians-want-it-back/2020/04/03/5e5746f0-7525-11ea-85cb-8670579b863d_story.html

Just read this and I kind of agree that if the funding was to keep people employed, they moved too quick to furlough people. Couldn't/shouldn't they be doing streaming to keep all of our spirits up? 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?
Posted: 4/5/20 at 12:36pm

They could but they don't want to spend any money, apparently. I was happy that they got the money, and the person in charge said the majority of the funding (over 90%) was to pay their staff. I think they did the numbers again and realized that was not going to happen, so they did started to furlough their workers. They don't deserve it if they are not going to take care of their own. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#3Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?
Posted: 4/5/20 at 2:24pm

Maybe it is me but I would think the 25 million would be better used to buy ventilators and masks for people who need them. I thought this bill was already giving money out to help people who are unemployed. I posted item awhile back of Kevin Love of the NBA donating $100,000 to pay the people who worked in the arena where he played. This led to other NBA players stepping up and doing the same type of thing for workers in the city they play. Another example is there is a player for the Pittsburgh Pirates who is donating $1,000 to every minor league baseball player in their farm system to help them while games are not being played. There are 190 players in the farm system. If these people can do this to help people in their industry, how about members of Congress pitching in and donating money out of their own pocket to help the employees of the Kennedy Center. How about all those millionaires who have received Kennedy Award honor over the years donate money to help so the federal government can use that 25 million for people who are sick and health care workers.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#4Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?
Posted: 4/5/20 at 4:28pm

how about members of Congress pitching in and donating money out of their own pocket to help the employees of the Kennedy Center. 

Lovely sentiment. But these r politicians NObody to them needs mo money than them cos how else could they keep getting elected and serve the public?  ( sarcasm)

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#5Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?
Posted: 4/5/20 at 5:07pm

"  Lovely sentiment. But these r politicians NObody to them needs mo money than them cos how else could they keep getting elected and serve the public?  ( sarcasm) "

lol. I know my post was a pipe dream but you know every US Senator is probably a millionaire and would it kill them to publicly help. You think Kennedy Center award winners Paul McCartney and Oprah Winfrey for example would really miss 25 million - lol. I understand they probably do many charitable things but since they were honored in a ceremony there why not help out the workers. I guess in a nutshell, I would rather target that money for medical equipment that is need now.

AlanB3
#6Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?
Posted: 4/5/20 at 5:32pm

The CARES act contains huge monies for medical needs:

For healthcare providers, the act has a range of measures. It appropriates $1.32 billion in grants for COVID-19 testing by federally funded healthcare centers. It authorizes expedited staffing of permanent direct hires for the National Disaster Medical System. It extends federal support for telemedicine with grants of $29 million per year for the next five years to telehealth networks and resource centers, and it also extends federal support for rural healthcare with grants of $79.5 million per year for the next five years. Importantly, it protects volunteer healthcare workers from liability for treatment of COVID-19 in preemption of state laws, allowing healthcare providers to treat patients and work to contain outbreaks where they might otherwise not be licensed or face liability. The act also streamlines patient medical record information sharing for the epidemic and authorizes home delivery of medical nutrition services for patients who are self-isolating.

IAMREADING
#7Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?
Posted: 4/7/20 at 1:39pm

Something should be done to distribute funding to employees. These government bailouts should help the American people before they help companies, especially employees or people working for companies that are getting huge sums of money. 

"Initially, Rutter said the $25 million in federal aid would be used for the center’s mission as a living memorial to President John F. Kennedy."

They need $25 million dollars to continue remembering John F. Kennedy? 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#8Should Congress Take $ Back from the Kennedy Center?
Posted: 4/7/20 at 5:55pm

" They need $25 million dollars to continue remembering John F. Kennedy?  "

I think there is enough money in the Kennedy family to help continue to remember JFK - lol.

Updated On: 4/8/20 at 05:55 PM

Videos